Re: Help - Any bash experts in the house?

  • wibbleman11
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 2, 2005
      Another piece of detail, dont know if its relevant, but the script i
      copied into /root/.bashrc was the one in the example for "user"
      rather than for "root"?

      Wibble

      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "wibbleman11" <wibbleman11@y...>
      wrote:
      > (Sorry, msg was corrupted on yahoo display)
      >
      > I enter "root" as normal, it then prompts me
      > Enter password for "root @ 123. 123. 123. 123"
      >
      > It looks like the bash scripts have somehow changed to append the
      IP
      > address and thus change the lookup?
      >
      > Wibble
      >
      > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "wibbleman11"
      <wibbleman11@y...>
      > wrote:
      > > I have added scripts /opt/etc/bashrc and /root/.bashrc as
      > > per "Unslug:Bash" document or nslu2-lnux, and this seems to have
      > > messed up my logon somehow.
      > >
      > > I am using Dropbear and puTTY. When I log on it has changed the
      > logon
      > > From "Enter password for root"
      > > to "Enter password for root@1..."
      > >
      > > I have NOT changed the password, just added the two scripts
      above.

      > > Heres the snag, there were a few other problems i hadnt yet
      > > investigated/fixed;
      > > - for some reason telnet does accept connections
      > > - proftpd does not start up automatically yet
      > > - i get write permission errors if i try to change data in the
      > > privtae area using Linksys SMB via Ethernet.
      > >
      > > Any suggestions?
      > >
      > > (Apache/PHP etc is still running, all the passwords are known,
      > > surely
      > > theres a way in with some php script - but how to get the php
      > script
      > > in?)
      > >

      > > Wibble
    • Kai Steinbach
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 4, 2005
        Hi Wibble

        On 02/09/05, wibbleman11 wrote:
        > - for some reason telnet does accept connections

        Do you have a diversion script in place that starts telnet on the slug
        during reboot?
        Or have you enabled it from the web interface?

        > [snip] ... and this seems to have
        > messed up my logon somehow.

        FAQ: Recovery from this kind of things on Unslung 5.x is usually to
        boot without disk, enable telnet on the web (admin/admin), telnet in
        (root/uNSLUng), hotplug the disk and clean up the mess. Then reboot
        with disk again to get back to normal ...

        Can I ask you to add this to the FAQ troubleshooting section, please?

        > - i get write permission errors if i try to change data in the
        > privtae area using Linksys SMB via Ethernet.

        Quota check still running? (search FAQ for "readonly")
        Or drive needs a fsck? http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/FAQ/RepairingDiskErrors

        HTH - Kai