Re: [nslu2-linux] Debian on nslu2

  • Matt
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 2, 2005
      (a) Has all the packages maintained by the debian folk already built. It
      does require a USB ethernet adapter to work ( A $25 one from radio shack
      works. I think someone is working on getting the onboard adapter to work
      now that there are new intel libraries for LE.
      Please? I'll give you a cookie. Seriously :] ).

      (b) Has working onboard ethernet and the packages are being optimized
      specifically for the slug's proc I beleive. You might have to put out a
      request to have a package built if its not already in the repository.

      Feel free to correct me if that information is wrong.

      -Foxxz

      On Fri, 2 Sep 2005, Rasjid Wilcox wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > I have just got myself a nice new Linksys nslu2, and have 'unslung' it
      > and installed openslug to get a feel for how things work.
      >
      > However, I would be very partial to running debian on it, and I
      > already know debian, and there is lots of software already packaged up
      > for it.
      >
      > I've looked at http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/DebianSlug/HomePage,
      > but based on messages to this list and checking
      > http://debian.nslu2-linux.org/, it seems that there are two ways of
      > running debian on the nslu2.
      > a) In standard debian 'little endian' mode, with the required hacks to
      > run the nslu2 in that manner (as per
      > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/DebianSlug/DiskImageInstall say)
      > b) To port debian into big endian mode. This is what
      > http://debian.nslu2-linux.org/ is, right?
      >
      > Is there any info around on how to install (b)?
      > And what are the pro's and con's of each version?
      >
      > Has the network interface problem for (a) been resolved, or is this
      > the reason that (b) is happening?
      >
      > Rasjid.
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Rasjid Wilcox
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 3, 2005
        Thanks for the responses.

        And I see that http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/DebianSlug/HomePage has
        been udpated so one can find both streams. :-)

        On 9/2/05, Matt <fox@...> wrote:
        > (a) Has all the packages maintained by the debian folk already built. It
        > does require a USB ethernet adapter to work ( A $25 one from radio shack
        > works. I think someone is working on getting the onboard adapter to work
        > now that there are new intel libraries for LE.
        > Please? I'll give you a cookie. Seriously :] ).

        Anyone know what the status is on getting the onboard adaptor to work
        in Little Endian mode? Who is working on this? Is there anything we
        can do to help?

        Cheers,

        Rasjid.
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 4, 2005
          On 9/4/05, Rasjid Wilcox <rasjidw@...> wrote:
          Anyone know what the status is on getting the onboard adaptor to work
          in Little Endian mode?  Who is working on this?  Is there anything we
          can do to help?

          If there is anyone working on integrating the latest IXP ethernet drivers to work with the 2.6 kernel in LE mode, then they should make themselves known here.

          -- Rod

        • John Bowler
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 4, 2005
            From: Rod Whitby
            >If there is anyone working on integrating the latest IXP ethernet
            >drivers to work with the 2.6 kernel in LE mode, then they should
            >make themselves known here.

            It's on my 'todo' list - so I'm not actually doing it at present (I'm
            starting to look at uClibc 0.9.28). Before I start on anything like this
            I'll discuss it, by posting something on nslu2-developers (or the
            appropriate list: oe-handhelds for uclibc) and discussing it on the relevant
            IRC channel.

            John Bowler <jbowler@...>
          • bojnorc
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 4, 2005
              --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Rod Whitby <list.yahoo@r...> wrote:
              > If there is anyone working on integrating the latest IXP ethernet
              > drivers to work with the 2.6 kernel in LE mode, then they should
              > make themselves known here.

              I've been combining some existing patches to do this (thanks Robin
              Farine, Tom Winkler and beewoolie!), and have made some progress. To
              be exact, I have version 1.5 of the IXP driver running on 2.6 in Big
              Endian mode. This version 1.5 officially supports Little Endian
              Linux, but I have not yet tested on LE.

              I'm having trouble getting the 2.6.11 Little Endian kernel others
              have been using to run without crashing. If I can get that fixed,
              Little Endian onboard ethernet should not be far away. (fingers
              crossed)

              I will post to this list if/when I have things working in LE.

              In the meantime, if anyone wants to go ahead and be the first to try
              an LE build, mail hannes at skynet dot ie, and I'll send you the patch
              that works for BE.