RE: [nslu2-linux] Spindown scsi disk in OpenSlug

  • Inge Bjørnvall Arnesen
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 2, 2005
      Message
      I seem to recall chat on Openslug IRC about trying this out and finding it not to be working. Good that at least one got it to work (though it would not make me buy WD disks, regardless). Opensluggers - is this kernel patch something that can be added without too much risk in case it works for some?

      best,

      -- Inge
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 2, 2005
        Hi
        I checked scsi-idle sources. For spindown disk they uses ioctl command
        ioctl(fd, SCSI_IOCTL_STOP_UNIT) I don't know that is hardware problem
        with service this command in some enclosures or in some hard drives. I
        have WDC 200GB I read on WD site that this model support idle and
        suspend mode. Yu must check that it work with you hardware - simply
        run scsi-stop /dev/sdb or scsi-stop /dev/sda. scsi-stop executable is
        in scsi-idle*.ipk in Custom Executables

        Demsey

        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Alexander Dong" <qiwen@g...> wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > This is really great! Are all drives being supported?
        > Thanks!
        > Alex
      • Inge Bjørnvall Arnesen
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 2, 2005

          Tried out scsi-stop on my Openslug 2.6 power devslug (on loan again!).
          /var/log/messages said:

          "Sep 2 14:46:39 debslug kernel: program scsi-stop is using a deprecated
          SCSI ioctl, please convert it to SG_IO"

          and the drive did not spin down (but it was the main drive and thus in
          activity the whole time).

          best,

          -- Inge

          > I checked scsi-idle sources. For spindown disk they uses
          > ioctl command ioctl(fd, SCSI_IOCTL_STOP_UNIT) I don't
          > know that is hardware problem with service this command
          > in some enclosures or in some hard drives. I have WDC
          > 200GB I read on WD site that this model support idle and
          > suspend mode. Yu must check that it work with you
          > hardware - simply run scsi-stop /dev/sdb or scsi-stop
          > /dev/sda. scsi-stop executable is in scsi-idle*.ipk in
          > Custom Executables
          >
          > Demsey
          >
          > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Alexander Dong"
          > <qiwen@g...> wrote:
          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > This is really great! Are all drives being supported?
          > > Thanks!
          > > Alex

        • demseypl
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 2, 2005
            Mayby try start from flash and run scsi-stop (scsi-start)
            I checked my enclosure (Walland unknown model) They is on PL-3507
            chipset (FW+USB)
            Probably it will be work on chiset PL-2507 (without FW)

            I checked /var/log/messages
            I have this messages too.. but disk spindown

            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Inge Bjørnvall Arnesen