Re: [nslu2-linux] Spindown scsi disk in OpenSlug

  • Alexander Dong
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 2, 2005
      Hi
      I have build scsi-idle package for spindown scsi disk in Nslu2 with
      OpenSlug. I upload tarbal with package sources
      scsi-idle.OE.package.tar.bz2 avaliable in Custom Executables.
      For run scsi-idle demon is required kernel compiled with patch
      kernel-patch-scsi-idle (also avaliable in Custom Executable)
      After building and instaling scsi-idle*.ipk you should configure
      /etc/default/scsi-idle for set scasi devise and timeout.
      It is project ported from debian to OpenEmbended. I have made only
      kernel-patch-scsi-idle for 2.6 kernel.
      btw I have tested on kernel 2.6.12 only

      Demsey

    • Inge Bjørnvall Arnesen
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 2, 2005
        Message
        I seem to recall chat on Openslug IRC about trying this out and finding it not to be working. Good that at least one got it to work (though it would not make me buy WD disks, regardless). Opensluggers - is this kernel patch something that can be added without too much risk in case it works for some?

        best,

        -- Inge

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 2, 2005
          Hi
          I checked scsi-idle sources. For spindown disk they uses ioctl command
          ioctl(fd, SCSI_IOCTL_STOP_UNIT) I don't know that is hardware problem
          with service this command in some enclosures or in some hard drives. I
          have WDC 200GB I read on WD site that this model support idle and
          suspend mode. Yu must check that it work with you hardware - simply
          run scsi-stop /dev/sdb or scsi-stop /dev/sda. scsi-stop executable is
          in scsi-idle*.ipk in Custom Executables

          Demsey

          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Alexander Dong" <qiwen@g...> wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > This is really great! Are all drives being supported?
          > Thanks!
          > Alex
        • Inge Bjørnvall Arnesen
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 2, 2005

            Tried out scsi-stop on my Openslug 2.6 power devslug (on loan again!).
            /var/log/messages said:

            "Sep 2 14:46:39 debslug kernel: program scsi-stop is using a deprecated
            SCSI ioctl, please convert it to SG_IO"

            and the drive did not spin down (but it was the main drive and thus in
            activity the whole time).

            best,

            -- Inge

            > I checked scsi-idle sources. For spindown disk they uses
            > ioctl command ioctl(fd, SCSI_IOCTL_STOP_UNIT) I don't
            > know that is hardware problem with service this command
            > in some enclosures or in some hard drives. I have WDC
            > 200GB I read on WD site that this model support idle and
            > suspend mode. Yu must check that it work with you
            > hardware - simply run scsi-stop /dev/sdb or scsi-stop
            > /dev/sda. scsi-stop executable is in scsi-idle*.ipk in
            > Custom Executables
            >
            > Demsey
            >
            > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Alexander Dong"
            > <qiwen@g...> wrote:
            > > Hi,
            > >
            > > This is really great! Are all drives being supported?
            > > Thanks!
            > > Alex

          • demseypl
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 2, 2005
              Mayby try start from flash and run scsi-stop (scsi-start)
              I checked my enclosure (Walland unknown model) They is on PL-3507
              chipset (FW+USB)
              Probably it will be work on chiset PL-2507 (without FW)

              I checked /var/log/messages
              I have this messages too.. but disk spindown

              --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Inge Bjørnvall Arnesen