Re: [nslu2-linux] Spindown scsi disk in OpenSlug

  • Robert Demski
    Message 1 of 30 , Sep 2, 2005
      It is possible It work now for me with my enclosure end disk (see my enclosure at http://www.qart.com.pl/prod/HDFWUSB200.html disk is WDC 200GB.)
      I don't know that it will be work on others types. I can upload compiled scsi-idle*.ipk There is small executable scsi-stop If scsi-stop spindown your disk scsi-idle demon should work too.

      > So is it possible now to spin-down USB Harddisk (which are recognized as
      > scsi disk) ?

      Jak być mamą ucznia i nie zbankrutować? Kliknij:
      http://klik.wp.pl/?adr=http%3A%2F%2Fadv.reklama.wp.pl%2Fas%2Fkss.html&sid=486
    • juergen_net_1
      Message 2 of 30 , Sep 18, 2005

        thank you for this very useful function!
        Is it possible, to use this also under unslung?

        Thank you!
        Juergen

        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "demseypl" <Robert.Demski@w...>
        wrote:
        > Hi
        > I have build scsi-idle package for spindown scsi disk in Nslu2 with
        > OpenSlug. I upload tarbal with package sources
        > scsi-idle.OE.package.tar.bz2 avaliable in Custom Executables.
        > For run scsi-idle demon is required kernel compiled with patch
        > kernel-patch-scsi-idle (also avaliable in Custom Executable)
        > After building and instaling scsi-idle*.ipk you should configure
        > /etc/default/scsi-idle for set scasi devise and timeout.
        > It is project ported from debian to OpenEmbended. I have made only
        > kernel-patch-scsi-idle for 2.6 kernel.
        > btw I have tested on kernel 2.6.12 only
        >
        > Demsey
      • Robert Demski
        Message 3 of 30 , Sep 20, 2005
          Yes I thing that coul'd be possible:)

          > Hi,
          >
          > thank you for this very useful function!
          > Is it possible, to use this also under unslung?
          >
          > Thank you!
          > Juergen
          >

          > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "demseypl" <Robert.Demski@w...>
          > wrote:
          > > Hi
          > > I have build scsi-idle package for spindown scsi disk in Nslu2 with
          > > OpenSlug. I upload tarbal with package sources
          > > scsi-idle.OE.package.tar.bz2 avaliable in Custom Executables.
          > > For run scsi-idle demon is required kernel compiled with patch
          > > kernel-patch-scsi-idle (also avaliable in Custom Executable)
          > > After building and instaling scsi-idle*.ipk you should configure
          > > /etc/default/scsi-idle for set scasi devise and timeout.
          > > It is project ported from debian to OpenEmbended. I have made only
          > > kernel-patch-scsi-idle for 2.6 kernel.
          > > btw I have tested on kernel 2.6.12 only
          > >
          > > Demsey

        • Stanley P. Miller
          Message 4 of 30 , Sep 24, 2005
            Could someone who understands how to do this post a how-to message or
            do a wiki page on it. Looks interesting but way over my head at this
            point.

            Thanks!
            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "demseypl" <Robert.Demski@w...> wrote:
            > Hi
            > I have build scsi-idle package for spindown scsi disk in Nslu2 with
            > OpenSlug. I upload tarbal with package sources
            > scsi-idle.OE.package.tar.bz2 avaliable in Custom Executables.
            > For run scsi-idle demon is required kernel compiled with patch
            > kernel-patch-scsi-idle (also avaliable in Custom Executable)
            > After building and instaling scsi-idle*.ipk you should configure
            > /etc/default/scsi-idle for set scasi devise and timeout.
            > It is project ported from debian to OpenEmbended. I have made only
            > kernel-patch-scsi-idle for 2.6 kernel.
            > btw I have tested on kernel 2.6.12 only
            >
            > Demsey
          • Frederic Wenzel
            Message 5 of 30 , Dec 16, 2005
              --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "demseypl" <Robert.Demski@w...> wrote:
              > I have build scsi-idle package for spindown scsi disk in Nslu2 with
              > OpenSlug. I upload tarbal with package sources
              > scsi-idle.OE.package.tar.bz2 avaliable in Custom Executables.

              Thanks a lot for that! It works for me, too. I patched the newest
              (2.6.15) kernel with it, and it worked good. scsi-stop now powers down
              the USB hard drive as expected.

              I can upload the flash image I made, if you people want. It is a
              regular, blank image out of the development tree (i.e. besides
              patching the kernel for scsi-idle, I changed nothing).

              Fred
            • Frederic Wenzel
              Message 6 of 30 , Dec 16, 2005
                --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Stanley P. Miller" <yahoo@s...>
                wrote:

                > Could someone who understands how to do this post a how-to message or
                > do a wiki page on it. Looks interesting but way over my head at this
                > point.

                I just blogged how I did it. But, caution, it is complicated.

                http://en.magenson.de/2005/12/16/nslu2-linux-usb-harddrive-spindown/

                Leave a comment there on how it worked for you :)

                Fred
                Message 7 of 30 , Dec 16, 2005
                  On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 18:47:57 -0000, "Frederic Wenzel" <fred@...>
                  said:
                  > I can upload the flash image I made, if you people want.

                  Not without putting the project (and yourself) at risk of legal exposure
                  due to the licensing of the Intel kernel modules ...

                  Remember folks, binary images *must* be behind click-through licenses
                  (as per openslug.org) to even begin to be compliant with the Intel
                  licensing. You all read and agreed to this license when you downloaded
                  the OpenSlug or Unslung binary images, or when you downloaded the IXP
                  source code to build them yourself.

                  I'm adding the scsi-idle patch to the OpenSlug 2.6.15-rc5 kernel now, so
                  it will appear in a future OpenSlug binary release.

                  Message 8 of 30 , Dec 16, 2005
                    Thanks Fred.

                    Is the scsi-idle package part of OpenEmbedded already, or does someone
                    need to contribute a .bb file?

                    -- Rod

                    Message 9 of 30 , Dec 16, 2005
                      said:
                      > > Could someone who understands how to do this post a how-to message or
                      > > do a wiki page on it. Looks interesting but way over my head at this
                      > > point.
                      >
                      > I just blogged how I did it. But, caution, it is complicated.
                      >
                      > http://en.magenson.de/2005/12/16/nslu2-linux-usb-harddrive-spindown/

                      BTW, any reason why you didn't add a HowTo page on the nslu2-linux wiki
                      where everyone will be able to find it in the future. It can point to
                      your own blog if you really want the traffic to go to your site for some
                      reason ...

                      -- Rod (continually concerned about fragmentation of project information
                      ...)
                    • Frederic Wenzel
                      Message 10 of 30 , Dec 16, 2005
                        Rod Whitby wrote:
                        >>I can upload the flash image I made, if you people want.
                        >
                        > Not without putting the project (and yourself) at risk of legal exposure
                        > due to the licensing of the Intel kernel modules ...

                        I smelled that, and that's why I asked first. Okay, so no binaries ;)

                        > I'm adding the scsi-idle patch to the OpenSlug 2.6.15-rc5 kernel now, so
                        > it will appear in a future OpenSlug binary release.

                        Thanks a lot.

                        Fred
                      • Frederic Wenzel
                        Message 11 of 30 , Dec 16, 2005
                          Rod Whitby wrote:
                          > Is the scsi-idle package part of OpenEmbedded already, or does someone
                          > need to contribute a .bb file?

                          It is not. However, Rob Demski has added the .bb file to the "Custom
                          Executables" section of the yahoo group. It should do the job.

                          Fred
                        • Frederic Wenzel
                          Message 12 of 30 , Dec 16, 2005
                            Rod Whitby wrote:
                            >>>Could someone who understands how to do this post a how-to message or
                            >>>do a wiki page on it. Looks interesting but way over my head at this
                            >>>point.
                            >>
                            >>I just blogged how I did it. But, caution, it is complicated.
                            >>http://en.magenson.de/2005/12/16/nslu2-linux-usb-harddrive-spindown/
                            >
                            > BTW, any reason why you didn't add a HowTo page on the nslu2-linux wiki
                            > where everyone will be able to find it in the future.

                            I just already started to make some notes in the blog about it and
                            therefore I blogged it in the end. However, I can donate the text to the
                            wiki. If you include the patch anyway, it is not very useful anymore;
                            but it might help people add another kernel patch if they just need a
                            walk-through ;)

                            I already added a note to the "Spindown USB harddrives" wiki page
                            before, by the way.

                            Fred
                            Message 13 of 30 , Dec 16, 2005
                              OK, so either yourself or Rob Demski should become an OE developer and get it into the OE repo. Then we can add it to openslug-packages and it will appear in the feeds.

                              -- Rod

                              Message 14 of 30 , Dec 16, 2005
                                On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 13:15:10 -0800, "Frederic Wenzel" <fred@...>
                                said:
                                > I already added a note to the "Spindown USB harddrives" wiki page
                                > before, by the way.

                                Great, thanks.

                                -- Rod
                              • Frederic Wenzel
                                Message 15 of 30 , Dec 16, 2005
                                  Rod Whitby wrote:
                                  > OK, so either yourself or Rob Demski should become an OE developer and get it into the OE repo. Then we can add it to openslug-packages and it will appear in the feeds.

                                  I will send the patch to the oe mailinglist in a jiffy.

                                  Fred
                                • bradkieser
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Dec 16, 2005
                                    --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Frederic Wenzel <fred@o...> wrote:

                                    > Rod Whitby wrote:
                                    > > OK, so either yourself or Rob Demski should become an OE developer
                                    and get it into the OE repo. Then we can add it to openslug-packages
                                    and it will appear in the feeds.

                                    Will this go into the 2.7beta package?
                                    Have we had any updates into there recently?

                                    Message 17 of 30 , Dec 16, 2005
                                      Since it requires a kernel patch, there is point in adding it to the 2.7 feed - the current monotone head is destined to use a 3.x feed.

                                      -- Rod

                                      Message 18 of 30 , Dec 18, 2005
                                        Hello
                                        It's fine that kernel-patch-scsi-idle all in all was included to OE repo.
                                        Obviously I can contribute scsi-idle packae in OE. I have prapared .bb
                                        file (scsi-idle.OE.package.tar.bz2
                                        <http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/QE-lQ_69oRNcxMtpkTIH54xs_R-Bscf1X1G6UbWtYfBmY066gyAGsZFoN5RE2NJHVU3SCtzOmCdOMqXeYyEh4eFHt5sNuJc/Custom%20Executables/scsi-idle.OE.package.tar.bz2>)
                                        for including to OpenEmbedded packages.
                                        Scsi-idle is working (perhaps not with all enclosures) but requires
                                        some fixes in man page and changing not relevant for 2.6 kernel ioctrl()
                                        for scsi devices.
                                        I don't know how to become OE developer and I put this .bb file only in
                                        Custom Executables.

                                        Demsey

                                        Message 19 of 30 , Dec 18, 2005
                                          Robert Demski schrieb:
                                          > Obviously I can contribute scsi-idle packae in OE. I have prapared .bb
                                          > file (scsi-idle.OE.package.tar.bz2
                                          > <http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/QE-lQ_69oRNcxMtpkTIH54xs_R-Bscf1X1G6UbWtYfBmY066gyAGsZFoN5RE2NJHVU3SCtzOmCdOMqXeYyEh4eFHt5sNuJc/Custom%20Executables/scsi-idle.OE.package.tar.bz2>)
                                          > for including to OpenEmbedded packages.
                                          > Scsi-idle is working (perhaps not with all enclosures) but requires
                                          > some fixes in man page and changing not relevant for 2.6 kernel ioctrl()
                                          > for scsi devices.
                                          > I don't know how to become OE developer and I put this .bb file only in
                                          > Custom Executables.

                                          I patched 2.6.15 and sent the package and patches to the OE mailinglist
                                          in order for them to include it into the source tree. However, nobody
                                          answered so I don't know if they will.

                                          Fred
                                        • jrbumpus
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Dec 24, 2005
                                            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Rod Whitby" <list.nslu2-
                                            linux@r...> wrote:

                                            > On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 13:15:10 -0800, "Frederic Wenzel" <fred@o...>
                                            > said:
                                            > > I already added a note to the "Spindown USB harddrives" wiki page
                                            > > before, by the way.
                                            >
                                            > Great, thanks.
                                            >
                                            > -- Rod

                                            Followed fredericiana's blog. Albeit, did not need to insert the
                                            spin-down kernel patch as it currently is building off the unstable
                                            head and the scsi-idle kernel patch appears inserted during the
                                            build process. I've also installed the ipkg from the yahoo files.
                                            reflashed with the new ".img" image file. Still, I attempt to do an
                                            immediate scsi-idle or scsi-stop on any of four different USB
                                            enclosures to no avail. Doesn't come back with any errors, just
                                            doesn't spin down. Disks are WDC and Seagate in case it matters.

                                            I'd be curious if anyone else has had this problem or if there is a
                                            fix?

                                            Thanks!
                                            -
                                            JR
                                          • Marcus Better
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Feb 13, 2006
                                              Robert Demski wrote:

                                              > Scsi-idle is working (perhaps not with all enclosures) but requires
                                              > some fixes in man page and changing not relevant for 2.6 kernel ioctrl()
                                              > for scsi devices.

                                              Do you have such a patch? Your bb package (2.4.23) did not seem to include
                                              it.

                                              I have compiled a DebianSlug kernel 2.6.15 with the scsi-idle patch and
                                              installed the scsi-idle package from Debian, but all I get is an error
                                              message about using a deprecated interface and an invalid ioctl.

                                              Marcus
                                            • Robert Demski
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Feb 13, 2006
                                                1) This path is included in source tarbal file scsi-idle_2.4.23-5.tar.gz
                                                - scsi-idle-2.4.23.patch
                                                2) I know about deprecated ioctl call warning - it is deprecatex in
                                                2.6.x kernels. Scsi-idle.c and scsi-start.c should be fixed (patched) -
                                                if are any chance to include scsi-idle as OE package i can try fix it too:)

                                                Demsey

                                                Marcus Better napisał(a):
                                                > Robert Demski wrote:
                                                >
                                                > > Scsi-idle is working (perhaps not with all enclosures) but requires
                                                > > some fixes in man page and changing not relevant for 2.6 kernel ioctrl()
                                                > > for scsi devices.
                                                >
                                                > Do you have such a patch? Your bb package (2.4.23) did not seem to include
                                                > it.
                                                >
                                                > I have compiled a DebianSlug kernel 2.6.15 with the scsi-idle patch and
                                                > installed the scsi-idle package from Debian, but all I get is an error
                                                > message about using a deprecated interface and an invalid ioctl.
                                                >
                                                > Marcus

                                                > Communication and networking
                                                > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Communication+and+networking&w1=Communication+and+networking&w2=Wireless+communication+and+networking&w3=Linksys+nslu2&c=3&s=96&.sig=ncJ7zHuN94kilWuTSDl3Vw>
                                                > Wireless communication and networking
                                                > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Wireless+communication+and+networking&w1=Communication+and+networking&w2=Wireless+communication+and+networking&w3=Linksys+nslu2&c=3&s=96&.sig=-1Cy7rgDdkUo3T3bGhOAAw>
                                                > Linksys nslu2
                                                > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Linksys+nslu2&w1=Communication+and+networking&w2=Wireless+communication+and+networking&w3=Linksys+nslu2&c=3&s=96&.sig=j3mKdhnq2Dp0IwkO41UTZg>

                                              • Robert Demski
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Feb 13, 2006
                                                  I have compiled OpenSlug kernel 2.6.15 - from OE repository and
                                                  scsi-idle package is working (scsi-start/stop)
                                                  scsi-idle isn't working now (Im looking for reason:)

                                                  Marcus Better napisał(a):
                                                  > Robert Demski wrote:
                                                  >
                                                  > > Scsi-idle is working (perhaps not with all enclosures) but requires
                                                  > > some fixes in man page and changing not relevant for 2.6 kernel ioctrl()
                                                  > > for scsi devices.
                                                  >
                                                  > Do you have such a patch? Your bb package (2.4.23) did not seem to include
                                                  > it.
                                                  >
                                                  > I have compiled a DebianSlug kernel 2.6.15 with the scsi-idle patch and
                                                  > installed the scsi-idle package from Debian, but all I get is an error
                                                  > message about using a deprecated interface and an invalid ioctl.
                                                  It isn't problem with enclosure? - scsi-idle isn't working with all them.

                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Feb 14, 2006
                                                      Marcus Better napisał(a):
                                                      > Robert Demski wrote:
                                                      >
                                                      > > 1) This path is included in source tarbal file scsi-idle_2.4.23-5.tar.gz
                                                      >
                                                      > No, I was referring to a userland patch for kernel 2.6 (using SG_IO).
                                                      >
                                                      > Marcus
                                                      I see - you are looking for kernel-patch (2.6.x) without this warning
                                                      (program scsi-start is using a deprecated SCSI ioctl, please convert it
                                                      to SG_IO)
                                                      I haven't this patch:(
                                                      My knowlege about it is that:
                                                      This warning appear when scsi-idle (or scsi-start/stop) are calling
                                                      ioctl(fd, SCSI_IOCTL_START_UNIT) - for spinup fd unit
                                                      or ioctl(fd, SCSI_IOCTL_STOP_UNIT) - for spindown fd unit.
                                                      command: SCSI_IOCTL_STOP_UNIT, SCSI_IOCTL_START_UNIT and several others
                                                      are deprecated in 2.6 kernels.
                                                      Also this warning is originated from scsi-idle demon - not from
                                                      kernel-path-scsi-idle
                                                      This kernel patch is necessary for retrive from kernel information when
                                                      to send SCSI_IOCTL_STOP_UNIT command by scsi-idle demon.
                                                      Appeared warning talking about conversion this ioctl command to SG_IO -
                                                      but I don't know how to do:(
                                                      I found http://tldp.org/HOWTO/SCSI-Generic-HOWTO/ but i don't see
                                                      commands referred with device spin(down/up).
                                                      Generaly - I have no idea how to convert deprecated ioctl in scsi-idle
                                                      package to SG_IO - I count on help in this issue.
                                                      Mayby after this conversion more devices will be supported......

                                                      btw
                                                      What was reason to remove kernel-path-scsi-idle from kernel in current
                                                      OE OpenSlug head?
                                                    • Frederic Wenzel
                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Feb 18, 2006
                                                        Robert Demski schrieb:
                                                        > btw
                                                        > What was reason to remove kernel-path-scsi-idle from kernel in current
                                                        > OE OpenSlug head?

                                                        did it ever make it to a release? I am not quite sure.

                                                        However, people keep asking me about this feature. It runs great on my
                                                        box with patched kernel 2.6.15 #2...

                                                        Fred
                                                      • Dean Dodd
                                                        Message 27 of 30 , Sep 4, 2006
                                                          Has the patch been included with Openslug 3.10? If no one knows is
                                                          there anyway to analyze the kernel to see if it is included or not?

                                                          Thanks

                                                          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "demseypl" <Robert.Demski@...> wrote:

                                                          > Hi
                                                          > I have build scsi-idle package for spindown scsi disk in Nslu2 with
                                                          > OpenSlug. I upload tarbal with package sources
                                                          > scsi-idle.OE.package.tar.bz2 avaliable in Custom Executables.
                                                          > For run scsi-idle demon is required kernel compiled with patch
                                                          > kernel-patch-scsi-idle (also avaliable in Custom Executable)
                                                          > After building and instaling scsi-idle*.ipk you should configure
                                                          > /etc/default/scsi-idle for set scasi devise and timeout.
                                                          > It is project ported from debian to OpenEmbended. I have made only
                                                          > kernel-patch-scsi-idle for 2.6 kernel.
                                                          > btw I have tested on kernel 2.6.12 only
                                                          >
                                                          > Demsey

                                                        • Frederic Wenzel
                                                          Message 28 of 30 , Sep 4, 2006
                                                            No, it has not. You have to build your own package for that. Sorry.

                                                            However, I am just making a patch for the openembedded tree so that the next version of openslug can be delivered with this patch included. Stay tuned, I will be posting it on this list in a minute.

                                                            Fred