Re: [nslu2-linux] Re: armeb debian package status

  • Jeroen Massar
    Message 1 of 29 , Sep 1, 2005
      On Wed, 2005-08-31 at 22:59 -0700, Scott Russ wrote:
      > > If your favorite package hasn't been built yet, please let me know,
      > > and I'll prioritise it.
      >
      > Centericq would a nice one to have. Then I could turn off my mini-itx
      > and just use the NSLU2.

      <spam>

      Introducing Bitlbee, see http://www.bitlbee.org
      There are public servers. You can simply connect with any IRC client to
      it, thus you run an irssi on the slug and a bitlbee and everything looks
      like IRC ;) Using a irc-proxy/bnc even allows you to detach really
      happily and re-connect with a different client eg swapping between a GUI
      client or console etc.

      </spam>

      Greets,
      Jeroen
    • Tommy B
      Message 2 of 29 , Sep 1, 2005
        Scott Russ wrote:

        >>If your favorite package hasn't been built yet, please let me know,
        >>and I'll prioritise it.
        >>

        >Centericq would a nice one to have. Then I could turn off my mini-itx and
        >just use the NSLU2.
        >
        >-Scott

        As Lennert would say "Added to the list" or "Building now" :)

        I think I"m building the last of the dependencies now, then the main
        package should build.

        Cheers,

        [g2]
      • Inge Bjørnvall Arnesen
        Message 3 of 29 , Sep 2, 2005
          > I think I"m building the last of the dependencies now,
          > then the main package should build.

          G2 - where is your repo? Only have Lennert's in my sources.list and it has
          not been updated since he left, so I guess you have your own?

          Also - what about webmin? It should be nothing to compile, but it depends on
          Perl but that should be ok?

          best,

          -- inge
        • Lennert Buytenhek
          Message 4 of 29 , Sep 11, 2005
            On Wed, Aug 31, 2005 at 07:36:47AM -0000, guyug01 wrote:

            > > If your favorite package hasn't been built yet, please let me know,
            > > and I'll prioritise it.
            >
            > "VLC server" would be also a killer app for video sreaming.
            > http://www.videolan.org/

            vlc 0.8.1 packages just finished compiling (after a day or so of
            compiling dependencies) and I'm adding them to the repository right
            now.

            cheers,
            Lennert
          • Attila Csipa
            Message 5 of 29 , Sep 11, 2005
              On Sunday 11 September 2005 10:06, Lennert Buytenhek wrote:
              > vlc 0.8.1 packages just finished compiling (after a day or so of
              > compiling dependencies) and I'm adding them to the repository right
              > now.

              How about ssmtp and thttpd to save on at least some of the bloat ? No need to
              have apache and exim just to see traffic rates and issue a warning here and
              there :)
            • Lennert Buytenhek
              Message 6 of 29 , Sep 11, 2005
                On Sun, Sep 11, 2005 at 12:17:20PM +0200, Attila Csipa wrote:

                > > vlc 0.8.1 packages just finished compiling (after a day or so of
                > > compiling dependencies) and I'm adding them to the repository right
                > > now.
                >
                > How about ssmtp and thttpd to save on at least some of the bloat ?

                Done. Note that getting exim removed might be a bit of a pain
                -- not sure whether that's a debian bug or whether it's a problem
                with our packages.

                Any other requests?

                --L
              • Attila Csipa
                Message 7 of 29 , Sep 11, 2005
                  On Sunday 11 September 2005 12:37, Lennert Buytenhek wrote:
                  > Done. Note that getting exim removed might be a bit of a pain
                  > -- not sure whether that's a debian bug or whether it's a problem
                  > with our packages.

                  Strange indeed, this goes without problems on regular i386 sarge...

                  urban:/home/bear# apt-get install ssmtp
                  Reading Package Lists... Done
                  Building Dependency Tree... Done
                  The following packages will be REMOVED:
                  exim4-base exim4-config exim4-daemon-heavy
                  ssmtp
                  0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 3 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
                  Need to get 32.6kB of archives.
                  After unpacking 3174kB disk space will be freed.
                  Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

                  and on the slug:

                  slug:/etc/apt# apt-get install ssmtp
                  Reading Package Lists... Done
                  Building Dependency Tree... Done
                  or been moved out of Incoming.

                  that package should be filed.

                  exim4-base: Depends: exim4-config (>= 4.30) but it is not going to be
                  installed or
                  exim4-config-2
                  E: Broken packages
                • Brian Zhou
                  Message 8 of 29 , Sep 11, 2005
                    How about ion3 window manager?

                    On the language front, mzscheme, clisp (or cmucl/sbcl) and erlang are
                    always very nice to have.

                    Thanks alot,

                    -Brian Zhou

                    --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Lennert Buytenhek <buytenh@w...>
                    wrote:
                    > On Sun, Sep 11, 2005 at 12:17:20PM +0200, Attila Csipa wrote:
                    >
                    > > > vlc 0.8.1 packages just finished compiling (after a day or so of
                    > > > compiling dependencies) and I'm adding them to the repository right
                    > > > now.
                    > >
                    > > How about ssmtp and thttpd to save on at least some of the bloat ?
                    >
                    > Done. Note that getting exim removed might be a bit of a pain
                    > -- not sure whether that's a debian bug or whether it's a problem
                    > with our packages.
                    >
                    > Any other requests?
                    >

                    > --L
                  • Kurt Bernhard Pruenner
                    Message 9 of 29 , Sep 12, 2005
                      Lennert Buytenhek wrote:
                      > Any other requests?

                      vim? That'd probably make most of the cursing in my room stop, what with
                      all the features that nvi is missing... :)

                      --
                      Kurt Bernhard Pruenner --- Haendelstrasse 17 --- 4020 Linz --- Austria
                      .......It might be written "Mindfuck", but it''s spelt "L-A-I-N".......
                      Message 10 of 29 , Sep 12, 2005
                        On Thu, Sep 01, 2005 at 07:17:35AM -0000, guyug01 wrote:

                        > > I tried building the 'vlc' package, but that depends on so much stuff
                        > > Sorry, this'll have to wait a week or so.
                        >
                        > Take it easy!
                        > As there are some very important improvements in the last version,
                        > could you take this from:
                        > http://vthr.via.ecp.fr/~videolan/

                        In principle, no. I'm trying to stay as close to debian sarge as
                        possible. If you want to have a newer version of vlc, you could
                        perhaps try to build it yourself as most dependencies should have
                        been satisfied?

                        --L
                      • Lennert Buytenhek
                        Message 11 of 29 , Sep 12, 2005
                          On Fri, Sep 02, 2005 at 02:24:22PM +0200, Inge Bjørnvall Arnesen wrote:

                          > > I think I"m building the last of the dependencies now,
                          > > then the main package should build.
                          >
                          > G2 - where is your repo? Only have Lennert's in my sources.list and it
                          > has not been updated since he left, so I guess you have your own?

                          debian.nslu2-linux.org now points to dyoung's repository, while my
                          repository is still at sukurys.wantstofly.org. However, I regularly
                          push to and pull from dyoung's repo, so the two should be in sync most
                          of the time.

                          > Also - what about webmin? It should be nothing to compile, but it
                          > depends on Perl but that should be ok?

                          Added to the list.

                          --L
                        • mbanditt
                          Message 12 of 29 , Sep 14, 2005
                            My favorite missing package is: hpoj-0.91

                            That would be great, cause I could add scanning to my slug!

                            Cheers,

                            Michael
                          • Lennert Buytenhek
                            Message 13 of 29 , Sep 14, 2005
                              On Mon, Sep 12, 2005 at 05:16:28PM +0200, Kurt Bernhard Pruenner wrote:

                              > > Any other requests?
                              >
                              > vim? That'd probably make most of the cursing in my room stop, what with
                              > all the features that nvi is missing... :)

                              Added.

                              --L
                            • Lennert Buytenhek
                              Message 14 of 29 , Sep 14, 2005

                                Message 15 of 29 , Sep 15, 2005
                                  wrote:
                                  > On Wed, Sep 14, 2005 at 11:47:38AM -0000, mbanditt wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > My favorite missing package is: hpoj-0.91
                                  >
                                  > Added.
                                  >

                                  > cheers,
                                  > Lennert

                                  Thanks!

                                  Yesterday I already tried to compile it with apt-src. Worked perfectly!

                                  Unfortunately, the package does not work fully. The probing for
                                  attached printers does not find any (although the printer is shown
                                  with lsusb and works as a raw printer with cups). Copying a hpoj
                                  configuration file from a desktop to the slug leads to a working
                                  scanning functions, but no printing so far. Furthermore, scanning
                                  blocks the usb port forever, so after one scan no more printing via
                                  cups is possible.

                                  This only as an info to whom it concerns. I will try your package.

                                  Cheers,

                                  Michael
                                • mbanditt
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Sep 16, 2005
                                    --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "mbanditt" <auslands-kv@g...> wrote:
                                    > Thanks!
                                    >
                                    > Yesterday I already tried to compile it with apt-src. Worked perfectly!
                                    >
                                    > Unfortunately, the package does not work fully. The probing for
                                    > attached printers does not find any (although the printer is shown
                                    > with lsusb and works as a raw printer with cups). Copying a hpoj
                                    > configuration file from a desktop to the slug leads to a working
                                    > scanning functions, but no printing so far. Furthermore, scanning
                                    > blocks the usb port forever, so after one scan no more printing via
                                    > cups is possible.
                                    >
                                    > This only as an info to whom it concerns. I will try your package.
                                    >
                                    > Cheers,
                                    >
                                    > Michael

                                    Well just for your info. I tried the hpoj package from the repository
                                    and it shows the same symptoms as my own compilation. Fortunately, I
                                    found a 'workaround': The usb port can be freed by power cycling the
                                    printer.

                                    So now, I can scan and print via the slug as a server :-) Great!

                                    And I can only underline that it is very easy to compile proggies on
                                    the OpenDebianSlug using the method from Lennard.

                                    Cheers,

                                    Michael

                                    P.S: OpenDebian also solved one other problem for me: xinetd did not
                                    work correctly with udp (at least not with openvpn). Now I'm running
                                    inetd and it works perfectly.
                                  • donsuz_juan
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Nov 7, 2005
                                      Has anyone managed to compile irssi on the nslu2? Mine is asking for
                                      ncurses-devel, which isn't available in the ipkg list. I downloaded
                                      ncurses' sources and started compiling that, but it's kind of stuck on
                                      AWK=awk sh ... >>curses.h

                                      any tips/tricks/packages?
                                      thanks