Re: SUCCESS!

  • joule360
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 10, 2004
      Aha. I suppose I understand now. You unpack the .bin image, mount the
      ramdisk as a filesystem, edit rc.local (or any other file) as you see
      fit, umount, and repack - and you have an edited .bin image.

      It should be pretty easy then to a) edit /etc/inetd.conf to include
      the line for telnet, and b) then to modify /share/hdd/conf/rc.local
      (or data/rc.local) for custom startup scripts.

      I'd like to give Jim Buzbee's compiled nfs daemon a try first (thanks
      Jim!). I was wondering if anyone else had thought about how to handle
      the problem of uid/gid assignments not being compatible with nfs
      usage (did I post that here, I cannot recall now).

      NB: It can be helpful to modify /etc/smb.conf (symlink
      to /share/hdd/conf/share/smb.conf) to include a share for the /home
      partition, /etc, etc - if you do that, you can mount those shares
      also from a remote system and use all of your usual editing tools to
      examine and work on them. I find it cumbsersome to work just in a
      telnet session on the NSLU2 - although busybox does seem to have some
      form of vi on it, it's still a bit of a pain going through the web
      scripts in that fashion, compared to just browsing the folders in the
      Finder on my mac!

      nl

      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Brian" <toyseeker@m...> wrote:

      > --- On Tue 08/10, joule360 < joule360@y... > wrote:
      >
      > > I don't understand, however, why you did the thing with the passwd
      > > file - shouldn't modifying /share/hdd/conf/passwd be enough -
      > > that's what I did, and my new root access account has persisted
      > > across reboots. Also, when you add and delete accounts via the web
      > > interface, that is the file that will get changed, so you would
      > > need a mechanism to propagate those changes back to your custom
      > > passwd file as well or they will get lost on the next reboot with
      > > your setup.
      >
      > I have found on more than one occasion that the passwd file got
      reset, in my previous hacking. Hasn't happened in a few days, but DID
      happen in the past....