HowTo install no-ip service

  • r0ger
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 28, 2005
      I have finished to install the noip service on my NSLU2 so I have
      writed (in my very bad English :-( ) a quick guide on how to proceed
      install the no-ip service

      you can find the article at
      http://www.viti.tv/modules/sections/index.php?op=viewarticle&artid=3
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 28, 2005
        Do you want to become an Optware developer, and put all of those later
        steps into the downloadable ipkg ?

        The ./noip2 -C step could be done in the postinst file, and the init
        script can be part of the package.

        Then you just ipkg install noip, answer the questions, and it starts
        working automatically ... no other commands or file editing required.

        -- Rod

        On 8/29/05, r0ger <r0ger@...> wrote:
        > I have finished to install the noip service on my NSLU2 so I have
        > writed (in my very bad English :-( ) a quick guide on how to proceed
        > install the no-ip service
        >
        > you can find the article at
        > http://www.viti.tv/modules/sections/index.php?op=viewarticle&artid=3
      • rndilger
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 29, 2005
          I'd really like to thank r0ger for getting the no-ip package done so
          quickly! This was the easiest install I've ever experienced. I have a
          few quick questions. After installing the service, I see that it is
          running as nobody instead of root. I am wondering whether this is
          correct? Are there benefits to running it as nobody versus root? And
          if it can be run as root, how would I go about making that change?

          Thanks for such a great forum!

          Ryan
        • Kai Steinbach
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 30, 2005
            Hello Ryan

            On 30/08/05, rndilger wrote:
            [snip]
            > Are there benefits to running it as nobody versus root?

            Maybe security related? Known from Linux on i386 compatible platforms,
            to prevent total host exposure when a single application is
            compromised.

            You'll probably find plenty of information about this topic in google ... :-)

            just my 5cent. Kai
          • marcelo
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 2, 2005
              Rod Whitby ha scritto:
              > Do you want to become an Optware developer, and put all of those later
              > steps into the downloadable ipkg ?
              >
              > The ./noip2 -C step could be done in the postinst file, and the init
              > script can be part of the package.
              >
              > Then you just ipkg install noip, answer the questions, and it starts
              > working automatically ... no other commands or file editing required.
              >
              > -- Rod
              >
              > On 8/29/05, r0ger <r0ger@...> wrote:
              >
              >>I have finished to install the noip service on my NSLU2 so I have
              >>writed (in my very bad English :-( ) a quick guide on how to proceed
              >>install the no-ip service
              >>
              >>you can find the article at
              >>http://www.viti.tv/modules/sections/index.php?op=viewarticle&artid=3

              What is an Optware dev?
              Currently I'm tryng to install an environment to cross compile on
              CygWin... using the info I have found on the wiki page into the
              CrossCompile section.
              I agree with you that to execute automatically the noip2 -c steps after
              th ipkg install can be usefull

              Marcelo
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 2, 2005
                On 9/2/05, marcelo <r0ger@...> wrote:
                Rod Whitby ha scritto:

                > Do you want to become an Optware developer, and put all of those later
                > steps into the downloadable ipkg ?
                What is an Optware dev?

                Someone who contributed packages for Unslung/WL-500g/DS-101/DS101g.

                I would recommend using CoLinux (www.colinux.org) instead.  We know that colinux works.

                > I agree with you that to execute automatically the noip2 -c steps after
                th ipkg install can be usefull
                Yep, that's the reason to put it in the package, so everyone benefits.

                -- Rod
              • marcelo
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 2, 2005
                  Rod Whitby ha scritto:
                  > On 9/2/05, *marcelo* <r0ger@...
                  > <mailto:r0ger@...>> wrote:
                  >
                  > Rod Whitby ha scritto:
                  >
                  >> Do you want to become an Optware developer, and put all of those later
                  >> steps into the downloadable ipkg ?
                  > What is an Optware dev?
                  >

                  > Someone who contributed packages for Unslung/WL-500g/DS-101/DS101g.

                  YES.... but I need some week in order to align my know how ;-)

                  > Currently I'm tryng to install an environment to cross compile on
                  > CygWin... using the info I have found on the wiki page into the
                  > CrossCompile section.
                  >

                  > I would recommend using CoLinux (www.colinux.org
                  > <http://www.colinux.org>) instead. We know that colinux works.

                  I have started to read more about it right now ... I'll give you an
                  update about the status ;-)