Re: [nslu2-linux] Re: Swapping drives

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 5, 2005
      Added to the wiki as http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/SwapDrivesOnUnslung

      In general, can people please add a wiki page, and refer to that here,
      rather than posting a howto recipe here. Then your contribution is
      able to be found via a wiki search, rather than buried in the email
      archive ...

      Thanks,

      -- Rod

      On 8/5/05, polarisdbs <polarisdb@...> wrote:
      > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Eric Smadja" <eric@h...> wrote:
      > > I would like to swap drives, the original 10 Gig is full and I would
      > like to
      > > replace it, what is the easiest way to do this?
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      >
      > I wanted to clone my existing NSLU2 configuration to a larger disk, so
      > I did the following:
      >
      > 1. Format the new disk as "disk 2" in the NSLU2 (basically because it
      > was the easiest way to get the partitions created).
      >
      > 2. Move both disks from the NSLU2 to a Linux box. Using a boot cd
      > like Knoppix (http://www.knoppix.org/) will work fine.
      >
      > 3. Copy the existing data partitions from NSLU2 disk 1 (sda) to disk
      > 2 (sdb). Please note that if you make a mistake here, you will
      > destroy your data.
      >
      > Copy the conf partition from the old disk to the new disk:
      >
      > dd if=/dev/sda2 of=/dev/sdb2
      > (takes a minute or two)
      >
      > Copy the data partition from the old disk to the new disk:
      >
      > dd if=/dev/sda1 of=/dev/sdb1
      > (takes considerably longer, the error generated because sdb1 is larger
      > than sda1 can be safely ignored)
      >
      > 4. Run a fsck on partition 1 on the new disk
      >
      > fsck.ext3 -y -f /dev/sdb1
      >
      > 5. Expand the file system on sdb1 to use the entire partition
      >
      > resize2fs /dev/sdb1
      >
      > 6. Plug the new drive back into the NSLU2, boot, and verify the
      > /share/hdd/data file system size.
      >
      > 7. Done
      >

      > [ Moderator Note: All new information should be recorded in the Wiki at
      > http://www.nslu2-linux.org ]

      > ________________________________

    • polarisdbs
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 5, 2005
        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Rod Whitby <list.yahoo@r...> wrote:
        > Added to the wiki as
        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/SwapDrivesOnUnslung

        > In general, can people please add a wiki page, and refer to that here,
        > rather than posting a howto recipe here. Then your contribution is
        > able to be found via a wiki search, rather than buried in the email
        > archive ...
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > -- Rod

        Thanks Rod.

        I must admit that I don't use the wiki much. For some reason, I never
        seem to have much luck finding what I'm looking for on there.

        I seem to be better off with dumbed-down usenet/web-forum based stuff.
        I guess I'm too "old school". ;)