Re: [nslu2-linux] LaCie

  • Cliff Karlsson
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 4 10:48 AM
      I have a LaCie 250GB, and it works fine

      timothy6883 wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > My Iomega drive just died so I need a replacement. I've found a LaCie
      > 300728EK 250GB drive on eBuyer (address below) and I'm wondering if
      > anyone has tried one of these with the Slug, particularly with Unslung
      > 5.5?
      > Apologies if this information is in the wiki, I've looked but I can't
      > find it.
      >
      > http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=62833
      > <http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=62833>
      >
      > Thanks in advance,
      >
      > Tim
      >

      > [ Moderator Note: All new information should be recorded in the Wiki
      > at http://www.nslu2-linux.org ]

    • timothy6883
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 4 12:33 PM
        Thanks guys, I'm placing my order now. ;-)

        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Cliff Karlsson <burton@t...> wrote:
        > I have a LaCie 250GB, and it works fine
        >
        > timothy6883 wrote:
        >

        > > Hi,
        > >
        > > My Iomega drive just died so I need a replacement. I've found a LaCie
        > > 300728EK 250GB drive on eBuyer (address below) and I'm wondering if
        > > anyone has tried one of these with the Slug, particularly with Unslung
        > > 5.5?
        > > Apologies if this information is in the wiki, I've looked but I can't
        > > find it.

        http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=62833

        <http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=62833>

        > > Thanks in advance,
        > >
        > > Tim
        > >

        > > [ Moderator Note: All new information should be recorded in the Wiki
        > > at http://www.nslu2-linux.org ]

      • Lennart Börjeson
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 5 12:38 AM
          I have two on my slug. BOTH have started logging read errors (the first one a
          month ago) and as of yesterday I can no longer boot my slug from any of them.

          I suspect overheating. Even though I have located them free standing on a
          bench on their own (NOT stacked, NOT in any enclosure) their covers are very
          hot to touch.

          I will replace them, I can just hope I can recover my data. (Really important
          stuff is on CDs, ofcourse.)

          ...so what's the recommended alternative, Maxtor OneTouch?

          /Lennart

          --
          !++
          ! Lennart Börjeson
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 7 3:26 PM
            > I have two on my slug. BOTH have started logging read errors (the first one a
            > month ago) and as of yesterday I can no longer boot my slug from any of them.
            >
            > I suspect overheating. Even though I have located them free standing on a
            > bench on their own (NOT stacked, NOT in any enclosure) their covers are very
            > hot to touch.
            >
            > I will replace them, I can just hope I can recover my data. (Really important
            > stuff is on CDs, ofcourse.)
            >
            > ...so what's the recommended alternative, Maxtor OneTouch?

            > Hi,
            >
            > My Iomega drive just died so I need a replacement. I've found a LaCie
            > 300728EK 250GB drive on eBuyer (address below) and I'm wondering if
            > anyone has tried one of these with the Slug, particularly with Unslung
            > 5.5?
            > Apologies if this information is in the wiki, I've looked but I can't
            > find it.
            >
            > http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X
            >292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=62833
            >
            > Thanks in advance,
            >
            > Tim

            This message really belongs in nslu-general.
            But since this is a reply to existing e-mails in nslu-linux ...

            I have a LaCie 320GB attached to my slug running "unslung 5.5"
            which is a replacement for previous LaCie 320GB
            which also "died"

            But it died due to a faulty 2nd h/d
            because the 320GB model is actually made up from 2 x 160GB disks
            and the "hand-off" from the end of one h/d onto the 2nd h/d failed

            I would not buy another LaCie simply because of the complexity of 2 internal h/d

            Perhaps the 250GB model contains a single h/d and so you will be luckier

            GL
            Ian W.