Re: IPTables with NAT

  • miscubadiver1
    Message 1 of 51 , Aug 2, 2005
      Greg,

      Are there any particular errors you are getting? Are there
      dependencies missing?

      Thanks,

      RAH

      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "supergerg79" <supergerg@c...> wrote:
      > No I haven't been able to create the modules for NAT to work with
      iptables

      > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "miscubadiver1"
      > <miscubadiver1@y...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Greg,
      > >
      > > Have you had any luck building the NAT package?
      > >
      > > RAH

    • John Bowler
      Message 51 of 51 , Aug 28, 2005
        From: Lennert Buytenhek
        >How about a 'turnup debian'? :)

        That works, but it might be better to automagically recognise that the
        'disk' is a debian rootfs, not an openembedded one. This is safer.

        I recommend writing /boot/debian and using that in place of /boot/disk (from
        /linuxrc). /boot/debian would fix the LEDs and avoid (somehow) creating the
        /.recovery. It might also modprobe the ixp modules - that would avoid the
        need to copy them over to the Debian rootfs, which would avoid the need to
        hack it. (The problem being the licensing issue - it's much easier to use
        the built ixp modules than to distribute them in an image and the easiest
        way to use them is to permanently insert them into the kernel from
        OpenSlug - which is the initrd.)

        >We need something like a variant of 'turnup disk' that doesn't copy the
        >files frmo the flash partition to the disk. So after you do the wget of
        >the debian fs and unpack it, you can do 'turnup debian /dev/sda1' which
        >will then do all the flash twiddling that 'turnup disk' does.

        turnup disk doesn't do any twiddling apart from the /linuxrc. It doesn't
        copy files - the '-i' option has to be specified to cause that to happen.

        The issue of twiddling the config files really is separate. "turnup -i"
        expects an empty partition, "turnup disk" expects a completely twiddled
        partition. There is no option which expects a populated but untwiddled
        partition. It is obscure but a whole load of the twiddling does not
        actually happen inside 'turnup' but, rather, inside
        '/etc/init.d/sysconfsetup' - so that when the flash contents are copied the
        result is almost completely ready-twiddled.

        I suggest writing a separate 'twiddle' script and putting it in the Debian
        image, then if 'turnup disk' finds this script it simply executes it (and
        selects /boot/debian rather than /boot/disk). That's actually a general
        solution for any image (well, it is if the "/boot/debian" stuff is done by
        the script not turnup.) BTW there's no great reason for using /boot/foo -
        just write a /linuxrc if it is easier - /boot/foo exists so that I could
        share bootstrap code between the different OpenEmbedded boots.

        >(Or maybe 'turnup debian /dev/sda1' could even do the wget/unpack itself..)

        If you want to do that then I strongly suggest a different script, so far as
        I can see that script would have little or no common code with the current
        turnup.

        John Bowler <jbowler@...>