Printing using GDI driver (cups+foomatic+ghostscrip)

  • mongolito_404
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 2, 2005

      I'm trying to use my NSLU2 as a print server with cups using a Samsung
      ML1710 USB printer[1].

      I installed cups using the ipgk package without any problem[2]. Since
      the ML1710 is not supported by cups out of the box, I downloaded the
      PPD file from LinuxPrinting.org (see [1]).

      Using the PPD, cups relies on foomatic-rip[3] wich has to be
      installed. foomatic-rip seems to be provided by the hpijs package but
      not in the right directory. hpijs's foomatic-rip is in
      /usr/lib/cups/filter/ while cups wanted it in /opt/lib/cups/filter/.
      Anyway, since my printer is not an HP, I installed foomatic-rip from
      the source. It requires perl, make and an updated busybox 1.00 (the
      default busybox seems to not provide cmp et tr wich are required to
      build foomatic).

      Now cups and foomatic-rip and it seems to work but I can't print
      because foomatic-rip relies on Ghostscript with GDI driver. I tried
      the Ghostscript ipkg package but, as stated on the wiki[2], this is
      not the Ghostscript version suggested by cups. Indeed, for what I read
      in the cups error-log, this one doesn't come with GDI support.

      On the GDI page on LinuxPrinting.org[4] it is said that the GDI driver
      is provided in ESP Ghostscript (the one suggested by cups). A .c file
      is also provided for GPL/AFPL Ghostscript 8.x. I plan to either build
      ESP Ghostscript for the NSLU2 or to build GPL/AFPL Ghostscript 8.x
      with GDI. But before going any further I post this message to know if
      anybody as been doing the same work and/or has any advice or comment
      regarding GDI printers and the NSLU2.

      Thanks,
      Pierre

      [1]http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?r
      ecnum=Samsung-ML-1710
      [2]http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/AddPrinter
      [3]http://www.linuxprinting.org/foomatic.html
      [4]http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_driver.cgi?dr
      iver=gdi&fromprinter=Samsung-ML-1710
    • Jochen Rüter
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 2, 2005
        If you just want to print from a windows-pc, I think you could configure
        it as a RAW-printer as it is described in the AddPrinter page on the
        wiki. Then the Windows driver will be used before sending the data to
        the Slug, so you won't be able to print from Linux machines.

        Jochen

        mongolito_404 schrieb:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I'm trying to use my NSLU2 as a print server with cups using a Samsung
        > ML1710 USB printer[1].
        >
        > I installed cups using the ipgk package without any problem[2]. Since
        > the ML1710 is not supported by cups out of the box, I downloaded the
        > PPD file from LinuxPrinting.org (see [1]).
        >
        > Using the PPD, cups relies on foomatic-rip[3] wich has to be
        > installed. foomatic-rip seems to be provided by the hpijs package but
        > not in the right directory. hpijs's foomatic-rip is in
        > /usr/lib/cups/filter/ while cups wanted it in /opt/lib/cups/filter/.
        > Anyway, since my printer is not an HP, I installed foomatic-rip from
        > the source. It requires perl, make and an updated busybox 1.00 (the
        > default busybox seems to not provide cmp et tr wich are required to
        > build foomatic).
        >
        > Now cups and foomatic-rip and it seems to work but I can't print
        > because foomatic-rip relies on Ghostscript with GDI driver. I tried
        > the Ghostscript ipkg package but, as stated on the wiki[2], this is
        > not the Ghostscript version suggested by cups. Indeed, for what I read
        > in the cups error-log, this one doesn't come with GDI support.
        >
        > On the GDI page on LinuxPrinting.org[4] it is said that the GDI driver
        > is provided in ESP Ghostscript (the one suggested by cups). A .c file
        > is also provided for GPL/AFPL Ghostscript 8.x. I plan to either build
        > ESP Ghostscript for the NSLU2 or to build GPL/AFPL Ghostscript 8.x
        > with GDI. But before going any further I post this message to know if
        > anybody as been doing the same work and/or has any advice or comment
        > regarding GDI printers and the NSLU2.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Pierre
        >
        > [1]http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?r
        > ecnum=Samsung-ML-1710
        > [2]http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/AddPrinter
        > [3]http://www.linuxprinting.org/foomatic.html
        > [4]http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_driver.cgi?dr
        > iver=gdi&fromprinter=Samsung-ML-1710
        >

        > [ Moderator Note: All new information should be recorded in the Wiki
        > at http://www.nslu2-linux.org ]

      • mongolito_404
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 2, 2005
          Thank you for the tips, but I forgot to mention that I've only Linux
          boxes. I may need to let Windows machien to use the printer but the
          main requirement is to works for Linux based clients.

          I followed the "Check out" section from [1] and now "make source
          ghostscript" is running. I hope it would download the sources for
          ghostscript and put them in the sources/ghostscript dir so I can add
          gdevgdi.c (from [2]) to it, append gdevgdi-gdi.mak to contrib.mak and
          Makefile.in as needed to then "make gjostscript" to end with a
          ghostscript ipkg package with GDI support. I still don't know how to
          directly install the produced package but it should'nt be that hard ;)

          [1]http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/AddAPackageToUnslung
          [2]http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_driver.cgi?driver=gdi&fromprinter=Samsung-ML-1710

          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Jochen Rüter <webseiten@j...> wrote:
          > If you just want to print from a windows-pc, I think you could
          configure
          > it as a RAW-printer as it is described in the AddPrinter page on the
          > wiki. Then the Windows driver will be used before sending the data to
          > the Slug, so you won't be able to print from Linux machines.
          >
          > Jochen
          >
          > mongolito_404 schrieb:
          >
          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > I'm trying to use my NSLU2 as a print server with cups using a Samsung
          > > ML1710 USB printer[1]...
        • Tomislav Vujec
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 11, 2005
            On Tue, 2005-08-02 at 19:19 +0000, mongolito_404 wrote:
            > I followed the "Check out" section from [1] and now "make source
            > ghostscript" is running. I hope it would download the sources for
            > ghostscript and put them in the sources/ghostscript dir so I can add
            > gdevgdi.c (from [2]) to it, append gdevgdi-gdi.mak to contrib.mak and
            > Makefile.in as needed to then "make gjostscript" to end with a
            > ghostscript ipkg package with GDI support. I still don't know how to
            > directly install the produced package but it should'nt be that hard ;)

            I've tried that a couple of weeks ago, and managed to compile ghoscript,
            but unfortunately it dumps core when started. I still haven't set up the
            native debug/compile environment to check what's causing the problem.

            Regards,
            --
            Tomislav Vujec
            Manager, Client Development