Re: [nslu2-linux] ADS NAS_806_EF

  • Greg Holdren
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2005
      From: "tzongy" <tzongy@...>
      To: <nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Sunday, July 31, 2005 4:27 PM
      Subject: [nslu2-linux] ADS NAS_806_EF

      > Hi,
      >
      > I saw this NAS device in Fry's for $99
      > http://shop2.outpost.com/product/4521157
      >

      > Does any one know what cpu it has? ADS's web site does not have the
      > detailed specification:

      http://www.adstech.com/products/NAS-806-EF/intro/NAS_806_intro.asp?pid=NAS-8
      06-EF

      > Thanks,
      > tzongy

      Fry's has the ADS NAS-806-EF NAS for $99 with a mail in rebate of $30 for
      $70 total cost now. In store. I picked one up this weekend to see what SoC
      it used and to check out the performace out. I figured if the performance
      was good, id keep it, if anything. I returned it. The performance is aweful!
      Bottom of the bucket! I didnt see any activity with Linux on the SoC it used
      (MSP2006 MIPS based) even though PMC-Sierra says Linux is supported. In my
      simple test it did 800-900 KB/sec vs the 1.3 MB/sec (133 MHz NSLU2) or
      1.7MB/sec (266 MHz NSLU2) with a 1GB test file. My NAS work horse Buffalo
      Link Station (w/Kuro Box firmware) does 2.5 MB/sec. If the the NSLU2 had an
      EIDE and/or SATA conroller also it would be in the Link Station ball park
      rate for sure. (Hint: Linksys, and make a cheap driveless version too :) )

      Anyway, the ADS NAS uses the Brecis/PMC-Sierra MSP2006 MIPS SoC. The Hawking
      NET-STOR HNAS1 uses the same exact board as the ADS 806 NAS. See pictures of
      the unit and board along with the performance review of the Hawking and
      Tritton NAS at Tom's Networking page. The NSLU2 is also is compared at the
      end of the article too. The NSLU2 is at in the top 4 of the group.

      http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Reviews-208-ProdID-H2H4.php

      Greg
    • Fabian
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 29, 2005
        These details on this ADS NAS are intresting mainly because this NAS
        has a built-in Bit Torrent Client.

        Does anyone know if it is possible to extract the P2P code on this
        unit and use it on a more powerful NAS enclosure?

        I bought this ADS NAS and am waiting on it. Maybe I will have to
        return it afterall.

        I am currently running a Tritton NAS TRI-NAS200 200GB and was
        wondering if anyone else had been able to compare the performace
        between these two units.

        ADS NAS NAS_806_EF and
        the Tritton NAS TRI-NAS200

        Thanks,