Re: [nslu2-linux] memstick, ipkg and /var/tmp

  • Steinar Midtskogen
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 31, 2005
      [Adrian Day]

      > I think Michael's fix (ipkg --temp-dir) is the sensible work-around -
      > i'd rather to leave /var/tmp on the ramdisk.

      If /var/tmp is to be on the root file system, then /tmp shouldn't be a
      link to /var/tmp.

      Alternatively, Michael's fix will limit the fix to ipkg only.
      However, to make it more transparent to the user, how about adding a
      line alias ipkg='ipkg --temp-dir /some/path' to /etc/profile?

      --
      Steinar ; NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI ; http://latinitas.org ; http://voksenlia.net
    • Øyvind Repvik
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 1, 2005
        Steinar Midtskogen wrote:
        > [Adrian Day]
        >

        >>I think Michael's fix (ipkg --temp-dir) is the sensible work-around -
        >>i'd rather to leave /var/tmp on the ramdisk.
        >

        > If /var/tmp is to be on the root file system, then /tmp shouldn't be a
        > link to /var/tmp.
        >
        > Alternatively, Michael's fix will limit the fix to ipkg only.
        > However, to make it more transparent to the user, how about adding a
        > line alias ipkg='ipkg --temp-dir /some/path' to /etc/profile?

        Is this filed as a bug?
      • Adrian Day
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 1, 2005
          On 1 Aug 2005, at 15:28, Øyvind Repvik wrote:

          > Is this filed as a bug?

          I don't see that it is a bug. Having /tmp and /var/tmp pointing to
          the ramdisk makes absolute sense for a flash based filesystem.

          Users of such systems may need to be mindful, nothing more, that
          certain applications may benefit from various command-line options.

          At the end of the day, if you 100% must have /tmp & /var/tmp pointing
          to a disked based filesystem, why not dispense with 'memstick' when
          running turnup. I, for one, would rather preserve the life of the
          memory stick and run ipkg with appropriate command line options when
          the absolute need exists - not all of the time.

          --
          AJ