New Prolific serial chip patch for 2.4?

  • M. Westerhof
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 31 9:04 AM
      After much battling and fighting with my slug, it seems the problem
      all along may simply be that the USB->Serial adaptors I'm using use
      the newer PL2303X chipset, which the unslung kernel (2.4) detects as a
      PL2303. As noted earlier on this list, there's a patch to the 2.4
      kernel pl2303.c file that can fix this:
      http://koti.mbnet.fi/lonnberg/pl2303x.html

      I'm running V2.3R29-uNSLUng-5.5-beta, which is kernel 2.4.22-xfs.

      Has anyone (or will any kind person) patched and rebuilt the pl2303.o
      module? (Or is the fix already in the 5.5-beta build, and I should go
      look elsewhere for my problems?)

      I'm perfectly willing to build a kernel, but I'm a bit confused as to
      where to start -- it seems fairly straightforward to build the
      openslug stuff, but that's based on the 2.6 kernel, no? Can someone
      point me to the right page to grab the sources for the unslung kernel?

      Feel free to tell me to go out and purchase a Belkin USB->Serial if
      getting the prolific adaptor working with unslung is impractical or
      impossible -- after all the time I've spent working on this project,
      it's just sheer pig-headed stubborness that's making me willing to
      rebuild an entire kernel. All I really wanted to do was build NUT so
      my slug would shutdown when the UPS signaled battery low...

      Thanks!
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 31 5:05 PM
        On 8/1/05, M. Westerhof <mwester@...> wrote:
        > I'm perfectly willing to build a kernel, but I'm a bit confused as to
        > where to start -- it seems fairly straightforward to build the
        > openslug stuff, but that's based on the 2.6 kernel, no? Can someone
        > point me to the right page to grab the sources for the unslung kernel?

        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/UseTheMasterMakefile

        You'll need monotone 0.21 and the other tools listed in the
        setup-host-debian target. I recommend using Debian Sid (which is what
        our official build machine uses) or Debian Etch (which is what I use).

        Then you will want to "make build-unslung" after putting in the patch.
        The place to look is in
        /home/slug/openembedded/packages/linux/unslung-kernel* - you should be
        able to work it out from there. If you need assistance, feel free to
        drop by #nslu2-linux on irc.freenode.net and one of the devs there
        will help.

        -- Rod
      • hd_de_2000
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 1, 2005
          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "M. Westerhof" <mwester@d...>
          wrote:

          > Has anyone (or will any kind person) patched and rebuilt the
          pl2303.o
          > module?

          <http://www.fh-furtwangen.de/~dersch/pl2303.o>

          Regards