TiVo HMO server?

  • Dan
    Message 1 of 27 , Aug 26, 2004
      What's the possibility of getting one of these to run a TiVo HMO
      server? There is a very basic one over on sourceforge called ptivohmo
      that's written in Perl. Would that be easy to get going? What about
      something more complex like JavaHMO?

      Dan
    • polarisdbs
      Message 2 of 27 , Aug 26, 2004
        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Dan" <dan6992@h...> wrote:
        > What's the possibility of getting one of these to run a TiVo HMO
        > server? There is a very basic one over on sourceforge called
        ptivohmo
        > that's written in Perl. Would that be easy to get going? What about
        > something more complex like JavaHMO?

        Dan,

        Have you checked out Brian's "ByRequest Tivo Server"?

        http://www.lantz.com/portal/filemgmt/visit.php?lid=5
      • Sean Meiners
        Message 3 of 27 , Aug 26, 2004
          As long as the memory requirements for the Perl server aren't to high I think there's
          a pretty good chance it will work now if you use the fedora image that was posted
          here previously. As for the Java one I wouldn't get my hopes up; most JVMs have
          much higher minimum requirements than Perl.

          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Dan" <dan6992@h...> wrote:
          > What's the possibility of getting one of these to run a TiVo HMO
          > server? There is a very basic one over on sourceforge called ptivohmo
          > that's written in Perl. Would that be easy to get going? What about
          > something more complex like JavaHMO?
          >
          > Dan
        • davidclemans
          Message 4 of 27 , Aug 27, 2004
            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Sean Meiners" <nslu2@s...> wrote:
            > As long as the memory requirements for the Perl server aren't to
            high I think there's
            > a pretty good chance it will work

            The biggest problem with adding more services to the nslu2 is memory
            reguirements. From what I see in /proc/meminfo, there's around 32meg
            of physical memory, and around 56meg of swap (per hard disk; e.g. on a
            unit with one hard disk, I see 56meg; on a unit with two nslu2
            formatted hard disks, I see 112 meg).

            I haven't looked at ptivohmo recently, but I did play with it a bit
            before I wrote the original "byRequest". At that time it was slow,
            didn't handle the automatic discovery protocol well, and would be
            impractical handling a really large number of exported media files.

            I don't know at what point Brian forked his copy, but I'll probably
            try porting my current copy over soon; if it works "well" for my
            normal setup, that's probably what I'll keep using (at least for mp3
            files). As a point of information, I just checked the current memory
            usage of a running server with a couple thousand mp3 files loaded; it
            takes a bit over 1.5 meg.

            It'll be a bit harder to support jpeg files, transcoding external
            formats like wma, ogg, un-drm'd aac, etc. as that support would
            require other tools to be ported that might have memory issues of
            their own, hit limitations in the arm cpu, etc.
          • Dan
            Message 5 of 27 , Aug 27, 2004
              If you're planning on porting "byRequet" then I'll just wait. I have
              enough computer skills that I could probably kludge something
              together, but I'd much rather let a real expert work it out.

              Keep us posted on your progress.

              Thanks,
              Dan

              P.S. Photos would be nice, but all I really need is music support.
              (mp3 only)

              --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "davidclemans" <dgc@e...> wrote:
              > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Sean Meiners" <nslu2@s...> wrote:
              > > As long as the memory requirements for the Perl server aren't to
              > high I think there's
              > > a pretty good chance it will work
              >
              > The biggest problem with adding more services to the nslu2 is memory
              > reguirements. From what I see in /proc/meminfo, there's around 32meg
              > of physical memory, and around 56meg of swap (per hard disk; e.g. on a
              > unit with one hard disk, I see 56meg; on a unit with two nslu2
              > formatted hard disks, I see 112 meg).
              >
              > I haven't looked at ptivohmo recently, but I did play with it a bit
              > before I wrote the original "byRequest". At that time it was slow,
              > didn't handle the automatic discovery protocol well, and would be
              > impractical handling a really large number of exported media files.
              >
              > I don't know at what point Brian forked his copy, but I'll probably
              > try porting my current copy over soon; if it works "well" for my
              > normal setup, that's probably what I'll keep using (at least for mp3
              > files). As a point of information, I just checked the current memory
              > usage of a running server with a couple thousand mp3 files loaded; it
              > takes a bit over 1.5 meg.
              >
              > It'll be a bit harder to support jpeg files, transcoding external
              > formats like wma, ogg, un-drm'd aac, etc. as that support would
              > require other tools to be ported that might have memory issues of
              > their own, hit limitations in the arm cpu, etc.
            • Brian A. Lantz
              Message 6 of 27 , Aug 28, 2004
                > I haven't looked at ptivohmo recently, but I did play with it a bit
                > before I wrote the original "byRequest".
                >
                > I don't know at what point Brian forked his copy, ...

                My patches are to the current version of byRequest. I've been meaning to
                contribute them to the main fork, but haven't gotten around to it yet...

                Brian
              • davidclemans
                Message 7 of 27 , Aug 30, 2004
                  I tried porting my copy of byRequest over to the nslu2 over the
                  weekend. Once I had a working cross-compilation chain, it compiled
                  with no problems, and worked fine for serving mp3 files.

                  I then tried some experiments to see the memory impact bringing in a
                  large number of mp3 files. This used the "-preload" switch in
                  byRequest, which builds an in-memory database of all exported files.

                  Bringing in a collection of a bit over 12,500 files took a couple of
                  hours, and ended up with a memory image of around 15 megabytes. (On a
                  relatively current Athlon system, this takes 5-10 minutes). This
                  reflects both the speed of the Arm cpu in the nslu2, and the usb2.0
                  bus speed. On the whole though this should be usable.

                  There are some things that can be done to reduce memory usage. I
                  could get a small amount by not compiling in trans-coding and jpeg
                  support (at least until tools are ported to support these...). A more
                  significant change would be changing how file information is stored.
                  I have some ideas, we'll see...

                  It also might be interesting to support iTunes (e.g., provide the same
                  support as mt-daapd)...

                  If I read Brian's messages correctly, he's already provided a url to
                  get his port of byRequest. If people are interested I can also post mine.
                • suicidechump
                  Message 8 of 27 , Aug 30, 2004
                    Well, I'm interested.

                    Other than the impressively long cataloging time... are there any
                    practical issues with serving MP3s? I mean, with that big memory
                    image, does it seem responsive enough to serve those MP3s without
                    pauses or clicks?

                    Message 9 of 27 , Aug 31, 2004
                      I'm interested! I only have about 800-900 MP3s so my collection
                      shouldn't impact it to hard.

                      Thanks for your hard work.

                      Dan
                      (Dan203 - Moderator TiVo Community Forum)

                      Message 10 of 27 , Aug 31, 2004
                        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Dan" <dan6992@h...> wrote:
                        > I'm interested! I only have about 800-900 MP3s so my collection
                        > shouldn't impact it to hard.
                        >
                        > Thanks for your hard work.
                        >
                        > Dan
                        > (Dan203 - Moderator TiVo Community Forum)

                        So far the port seems to be stable. I'll try to upload a copy of the
                        arm binary to the byRequest project area on sourceforge; maybe
                        tomorrow night.

                        Thanks,
                        dgc
                      • davidclemans
                        Message 11 of 27 , Aug 31, 2004
                          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "suicidechump"
                          <dawnyahoogroups@d...> wrote:
                          > Well, I'm interested.
                          >
                          > Other than the impressively long cataloging time... are there any
                          > practical issues with serving MP3s? I mean, with that big memory
                          > image, does it seem responsive enough to serve those MP3s without
                          > pauses or clicks?

                          In the limited testing I've done, it seems fine. My guess is that its
                          usability depends on two things...
                          1. the quality of the network link between the tivo and the nslu2
                          2. any "contention"; e.g., are you trying to copy gigabytes between
                          another disk and a nslu2 disk at the same time...

                          In general the tivo copies large amounts of mp3 data into a local
                          buffer and then plays from there. For low bit rate files (like old
                          time radio) it might buffer a full half-hour show; e.g. a large burst
                          of network activity at the beginning of the half hour, and little for
                          the rest of the half hour.

                          dgc
                        • Dan
                          Message 12 of 27 , Sep 1, 2004
                            I'm only looking to play music files, most encoded at 224kbps, so this
                            should work great for me. I'm not going to receive my NSLU2 until
                            Friday, then I have to hook everything up and make sure it works
                            first. After that I'll jump into the hacking.

                            Any chance you could layout a quick list of steps required to get this
                            working? (I'm a Linux newbee)

                            Dan

                            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "davidclemans" <dgc@e...> wrote:
                            > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "suicidechump"
                            > <dawnyahoogroups@d...> wrote:
                            > > Well, I'm interested.
                            > >
                            > > Other than the impressively long cataloging time... are there any
                            > > practical issues with serving MP3s? I mean, with that big memory
                            > > image, does it seem responsive enough to serve those MP3s without
                            > > pauses or clicks?
                            > >

                            > In the limited testing I've done, it seems fine. My guess is that its
                            > usability depends on two things...
                            > 1. the quality of the network link between the tivo and the nslu2
                            > 2. any "contention"; e.g., are you trying to copy gigabytes between
                            > another disk and a nslu2 disk at the same time...
                            >
                            > In general the tivo copies large amounts of mp3 data into a local
                            > buffer and then plays from there. For low bit rate files (like old
                            > time radio) it might buffer a full half-hour show; e.g. a large burst
                            > of network activity at the beginning of the half hour, and little for
                            > the rest of the half hour.
                            >
                            > dgc
                          • jeremyclark_1974
                            Message 13 of 27 , Sep 2, 2004
                              Brian (or David) - any updates on running an HMO server on the NSLU2?

                              I managed to find the byRequest port for NSLU2 on Brian's site (the
                              site seems to be down, got the link through Google cache), copied it
                              over to /share/hdd/conf/bin where I made a folder for it, edited the
                              conf file to what I thought would work. I run byRequest with the
                              conf as the only parameter, and it seems to try to run, though if I
                              view the log file afterwards I get "Unable to bind address to
                              socket" as an error. I think it quits at this point as I don't see
                              it in ps and Tivo can't find the share.

                              Any suggestions? Aside from the files in the folder for byRequest,
                              are there any dependencies I need? what about the vsound and splay
                              tools?

                              Any tips you might have on configuring/setting byRequest up on the
                              NSLU2 would be really helpful. I'd love to be able to share my MP3s
                              (and my photos eventually) with my Tivo without having my desktop
                              turned on!

                              Cheers,
                              Jeremy

                              --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Brian A. Lantz" <brian@l...>
                              wrote:
                              > > I haven't looked at ptivohmo recently, but I did play with it a
                              bit
                              > > before I wrote the original "byRequest".
                              > >
                              > > I don't know at what point Brian forked his copy, ...
                              >
                              > My patches are to the current version of byRequest. I've been
                              meaning to
                              > contribute them to the main fork, but haven't gotten around to it
                              yet...

                              > Brian
                            • Brian A. Lantz
                              Message 14 of 27 , Sep 3, 2004
                                Try adding '-debug' as the first parameter, and see what error(s) it reports.

                                Brian A. Lantz brian@... http://www.lantz.com

                                > Brian (or David) - any updates on running an HMO server on the NSLU2?
                                >
                                > I managed to find the byRequest port for NSLU2 on Brian's site (the
                                > site seems to be down, got the link through Google cache), copied it
                                > over to /share/hdd/conf/bin where I made a folder for it, edited the
                                > conf file to what I thought would work. I run byRequest with the
                                > conf as the only parameter, and it seems to try to run, though if I
                                > view the log file afterwards I get "Unable to bind address to
                                > socket" as an error. I think it quits at this point as I don't see
                                > it in ps and Tivo can't find the share.
                                >
                                > Any suggestions? Aside from the files in the folder for byRequest,
                                > are there any dependencies I need? what about the vsound and splay
                                > tools?
                                >
                                > Any tips you might have on configuring/setting byRequest up on the
                                > NSLU2 would be really helpful. I'd love to be able to share my MP3s
                                > (and my photos eventually) with my Tivo without having my desktop
                                > turned on!
                                >
                                > Cheers,
                                > Jeremy
                                >
                                > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Brian A. Lantz" <brian@l...>
                                > wrote:
                                > > > I haven't looked at ptivohmo recently, but I did play with it a
                                > bit
                                > > > before I wrote the original "byRequest".
                                > > >
                                > > > I don't know at what point Brian forked his copy, ...
                                > >
                                > > My patches are to the current version of byRequest. I've been
                                > meaning to
                                > > contribute them to the main fork, but haven't gotten around to it
                                > yet...
                                > >
                                > > Brian
                                >
                                > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                ------- End of Original Message -------
                              • davidclemans
                                Message 15 of 27 , Sep 3, 2004
                                  --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "jeremyclark_1974"
                                  <jeremyclark@h...> wrote:
                                  > view the log file afterwards I get "Unable to bind address to
                                  > socket" as an error. I think it quits at this point as I don't see
                                  > it in ps and Tivo can't find the share.

                                  Yes, it'll definitely quit at that point. That error msg usually
                                  implies that some other process has that socket open. Do you have
                                  another mp3 server process running on that box (mt-daapd maybe?). I
                                  haven't looked to see if there already is a netstat command on the
                                  nslu2; if you have netstat you could display what ports are open.
                                • suicidechump
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Sep 3, 2004
                                    --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "davidclemans" <dgc@e...> wrote:
                                    > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "jeremyclark_1974"
                                    > <jeremyclark@h...> wrote:
                                    > > view the log file afterwards I get "Unable to bind address to
                                    > > socket" as an error. I think it quits at this point as I don't
                                    see
                                    > > it in ps and Tivo can't find the share.
                                    >
                                    > Yes, it'll definitely quit at that point. That error msg usually
                                    > implies that some other process has that socket open. Do you have
                                    > another mp3 server process running on that box (mt-daapd maybe?). I
                                    > haven't looked to see if there already is a netstat command on the
                                    > nslu2; if you have netstat you could display what ports are open.

                                    Yup, I get the "Unable to bind address to socket" error, and no, I
                                    definitely don't have any other mp3 server processes (that I know of)
                                    running on the box. My box is pretty much stock, with a telnet hack
                                    installed and some flavor of busybox available, but no other non-
                                    stock server processes.
                                  • davidclemans
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Sep 3, 2004
                                      <dawnyahoogroups@d...> wrote:

                                      > Yup, I get the "Unable to bind address to socket" error, and no, I
                                      > definitely don't have any other mp3 server processes (that I know of)
                                      > running on the box. My box is pretty much stock, with a telnet hack
                                      > installed and some flavor of busybox available, but no other non-
                                      > stock server processes.

                                      Did you try before when logged into the nslu2 as someone other than
                                      root? If so, as an experiment try starting byRequest as root.
                                    • suicidechump
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Sep 3, 2004
                                        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "davidclemans" <dgc@e...> wrote:
                                        > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "suicidechump"
                                        > <dawnyahoogroups@d...> wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > Yup, I get the "Unable to bind address to socket" error, and no,
                                        > > definitely don't have any other mp3 server processes (that I know
                                        of)
                                        > > running on the box. My box is pretty much stock, with a telnet
                                        hack
                                        > > installed and some flavor of busybox available, but no other non-
                                        > > stock server processes.
                                        >
                                        > Did you try before when logged into the nslu2 as someone other than
                                        > root? If so, as an experiment try starting byRequest as root.

                                        Nope. Always log in as root when I telnet in. Always get that error
                                        when running from root.
                                      • davidclemans
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Sep 4, 2004
                                          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "suicidechump"
                                          <dawnyahoogroups@d...> wrote:
                                          root.

                                          > Nope. Always log in as root when I telnet in. Always get that error
                                          > when running from root.

                                          I suspect I know what it is... Brian's sent me some of his changes to
                                          be incorporated into the mainline. His changes hardcode the address
                                          of the nlsu2 to be 192.168.1.77.
                                        • davidclemans
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Sep 4, 2004
                                            I've uploaded a binary copy of my version of byRequest, as running at
                                            home on my nslu2 to the url

                                            www.easystreet.com/~dgc/byRequest-nslu.tar.gz

                                            This represents the current CVS 0.60 sources from
                                            www.sf.net/projects/byrequest. To see the actual sources, what
                                            documentation exists, go there. This version doesn't have Brian's
                                            changes; I'm working on incorporating those.

                                            The tar has the binary and a configuration file; edit the
                                            configuration file for the location(s) of your mp3 directories, and
                                            the location of a logfile. Run it by "byRequest <path to byRequest.conf>"

                                            dgc
                                          • suicidechump
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Sep 4, 2004
                                              --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "davidclemans" <dgc@e...> wrote:
                                              > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "suicidechump"
                                              > <dawnyahoogroups@d...> wrote:
                                              > root.
                                              > >
                                              > > Nope. Always log in as root when I telnet in. Always get that
                                              error
                                              > > when running from root.
                                              >
                                              > I suspect I know what it is... Brian's sent me some of his changes
                                              > be incorporated into the mainline. His changes hardcode the address
                                              > of the nlsu2 to be 192.168.1.77.

                                              Yeah, that could cause problems.
                                            • suicidechump
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Sep 4, 2004
                                                --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "davidclemans" <dgc@e...> wrote:
                                                > I've uploaded a binary copy of my version of byRequest, as running
                                                at
                                                > home on my nslu2 to the url
                                                >
                                                > www.easystreet.com/~dgc/byRequest-nslu.tar.gz
                                                >
                                                > This represents the current CVS 0.60 sources from
                                                > www.sf.net/projects/byrequest. To see the actual sources, what
                                                > documentation exists, go there. This version doesn't have Brian's
                                                > changes; I'm working on incorporating those.
                                                >
                                                > The tar has the binary and a configuration file; edit the
                                                > configuration file for the location(s) of your mp3 directories, and
                                                > the location of a logfile. Run it by "byRequest <path to
                                                byRequest.conf>"

                                                > dgc

                                                I tried that, but -debug shows the same error binding to the socket.

                                                Does this one also have the ip address hardwired?
                                              • jeremyclark_1974
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Sep 6, 2004
                                                  Okay, I change the IP on my NSLU2 back to 192.168.1.77, and it now
                                                  seems to send out a beacon. My Tivo finds it, and the NSLU2 serves
                                                  up any MP3s I request, so it seems to be working great! Speedier
                                                  than I thought it might be.

                                                  I did have mt-daapd running at the same time as well, so it is
                                                  possible to do so without conflicts. Had it streaming iTunes via mt-
                                                  daapd to two PCs at once while streaming other music to my Tivo (all
                                                  over 802.11g). Nice!!

                                                  Now if I could only figure out how to serve up video to my Tivo from
                                                  the NSLU2, then I'd be set! Anyone think of a way to full the Tivo
                                                  into thinking a PC (or the NSLU2) is another Tivo that it can share
                                                  video files with? :}

                                                  -Jeremy

                                                  --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "davidclemans" <dgc@e...> wrote:
                                                  > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "suicidechump"
                                                  > <dawnyahoogroups@d...> wrote:
                                                  > root.
                                                  > >
                                                  > > Nope. Always log in as root when I telnet in. Always get that
                                                  error
                                                  > > when running from root.
                                                  >
                                                  > I suspect I know what it is... Brian's sent me some of his changes
                                                  > be incorporated into the mainline. His changes hardcode the
                                                  address
                                                  > of the nlsu2 to be 192.168.1.77.
                                                • Dan
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Sep 7, 2004
                                                    > Now if I could only figure out how to serve up video to my Tivo from
                                                    > the NSLU2, then I'd be set! Anyone think of a way to full the Tivo
                                                    > into thinking a PC (or the NSLU2) is another Tivo that it can share
                                                    > video files with? :}

                                                    Within the next couple months TiVo will be releasing a new service
                                                    call TiVoToGo that will allow you to transfer video from a TiVo to a
                                                    PC. The details have not yet been released, but in one of the surveys
                                                    they sent out pertaining to TiVoToGo they devoted an entire section to
                                                    the ability to transfer video BACK to the TiVo. Again there is no
                                                    guarantee this feature will make the cut, but it is a possibility. And
                                                    if that happens then it might be possible to do just what you want.

                                                    For now I suggest you do what I did and get yourself an XBox, throw a
                                                    mod chip in it, and download XBox Media Center. It has built in Samba
                                                    support and can play almost every major audio/video CODEC available.
                                                    And if you get yourself an HD adapter it can even play movies in
                                                    progressive scan with digital audio. Pretty cool!

                                                    Dan
                                                  • combatmedic1978
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Sep 9, 2004
                                                      I've done some testing with TiVo streams at 1gig per hour. And, I
                                                      don't know if it's an issue with my hard-drives, but I'm barely able
                                                      to stream a show from my nslu2 to my laptop.

                                                      -Mike
                                                      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Dan" <dan6992@h...> wrote:
                                                      > > Now if I could only figure out how to serve up video to my Tivo
                                                      from
                                                      > > the NSLU2, then I'd be set! Anyone think of a way to full the
                                                      Tivo
                                                      > > into thinking a PC (or the NSLU2) is another Tivo that it can
                                                      share
                                                      > > video files with? :}
                                                      >
                                                      > Within the next couple months TiVo will be releasing a new service
                                                      > call TiVoToGo that will allow you to transfer video from a TiVo to
                                                      > PC. The details have not yet been released, but in one of the
                                                      surveys
                                                      > they sent out pertaining to TiVoToGo they devoted an entire
                                                      section to
                                                      > the ability to transfer video BACK to the TiVo. Again there is no
                                                      > guarantee this feature will make the cut, but it is a possibility.
                                                      And
                                                      > if that happens then it might be possible to do just what you want.
                                                      >
                                                      > For now I suggest you do what I did and get yourself an XBox,
                                                      throw a
                                                      > mod chip in it, and download XBox Media Center. It has built in
                                                      Samba
                                                      > support and can play almost every major audio/video CODEC
                                                      available.
                                                      > And if you get yourself an HD adapter it can even play movies in
                                                      > progressive scan with digital audio. Pretty cool!
                                                      >
                                                      > Dan
                                                    • jeremyclark_1974
                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Sep 9, 2004
                                                        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Dan" <dan6992@h...> wrote:
                                                        > Within the next couple months TiVo will be releasing a new service
                                                        > call TiVoToGo that will allow you to transfer video from a TiVo to
                                                        > a PC. The details have not yet been released, but in one of the
                                                        > surveys they sent out pertaining to TiVoToGo they devoted an
                                                        > entire section to the ability to transfer video BACK to the TiVo.
                                                        > Again there is no guarantee this feature will make the cut, but
                                                        > It is a possibility. And if that happens then it might be possible
                                                        > to do just what you want.

                                                        I currently have my DirecTivo hacked with the 4.0 OS so that it
                                                        supports HMO (normally only supported on standalone units), which is
                                                        how I'm listening to my audio hosted on the NSLU2. I do archive
                                                        shows from it via TyTools or MFS_FTP, but I'd love to essentially do
                                                        what I already do with my hacked XBox, as you mentioned. :) XBMC is
                                                        really cool, indeed. I have it in my livingroom along with my
                                                        UltimateTV, and then I have the Tivo in my bedroom and at some point
                                                        would love to use the NSLU2 as my central, always-on media storage
                                                        center from which I can access everything.

                                                        It'll be interesting to see how the TiVoToGo works out and also the
                                                        new Netflix partnership; I'd suspect they'll have to finally try to
                                                        tighten up their security even moreso now, in the past they've
                                                        essentially turned a blind eye to the Tivo Hacking community.

                                                        -Jeremy
                                                      • Dan
                                                        Message 27 of 27 , Sep 12, 2004
                                                          I have all my DVD rips stored on a Maxtor 160GB drive connected to the
                                                          NSLU2. I've only done minor testing (watched 5-10 minutes clips), but
                                                          it streams fine to my XBox running XBMC and to my 2.2GHz PC. However
                                                          both are connected via 10/100 Ethernet. A wireless connection, even an
                                                          802.11g, might be too slow for streaming video.

                                                          Dan