Re: Boot fails with Disk1 on after unslinging

  • Byron Todd
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 15, 2005
      I ran into a similar problem when my unslung hard drive suffered a
      head crash - and I had to replace it.

      The current *official* rescue procedure is:

      Boot NSLU2 without HD attached.
      Telnet in with root/uNSLUng.
      rm /.sda#root <- # being 1 if you were unslung to disk 1 and 2 if you
      were unslung to disk 2.
      Reboot NSLU2 - again without HD attached.
      Telnet in with root/uNSLUng.
      Hotplug the hard drive.
      Re-format via web interface, if needed. If not formatting, then just
      /sbin/unsling disk#. If formatted, wait until formatting is
      completed, then /sbin/unsling disk# in telnet session.
      Reboot with drive attached.

      This should get you back to a booting NSLU2 with rootfs on hd. More
      information later (WIKI page!) :)

      Byron

      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Jim" <jamesl70@h...> wrote:

      > I had the identical problem on my first attempt, I eventually got
      it
      > to work. Here is what I did:
      >
      > 1) Backup all the data on the disk drive
      > 2) Plug disk drive into window PC, remove all partitions, create
      one
      > big NTFS partition and reformat (not quick format). Now I'm
      confident
      > the drive has no trace of NSLU2 stuff on it.
      > 3) Reflash the unslung firmware with sercomm and follow directions
      > for unslinging the NSLU, formatting the drive at the appropriate
      time.
      > 4) Boots fine now with drive on
      > 5) Restore data back to drive

      The above should work as well. In fact, my rescue procedure was
      similar (for a short while.)

      [snip]

      > Jim
      >
      > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "lance_benson"
      > <lance_benson@c...> wrote:
      > > In the Unslung-5_5-beta-README I get through step 5 successfully
      > > (/sbin/unsling disk1). However, when I reboot with the drive on,
      > > the Ready light goes off and never comes back on. It starts with
      > > Ready yellow, Ethernet goes to green, Ready goes to green, Disk1
      > > goes to green, Ready goes off, there is about a second of disk
      > > activity, then flashes of disk activity (<1 second) for maybe 30
      > > seconds. After 15 minutes, Ready is still off.
      > >
      > > In this state, the slug will not turn off with the power button.
      > > have to unplug the power. If I then turn off the USB drive,
      start
      > > the slug, enable telnet through the web interface, and telnet in,
      > > get in OK. I can power on the USB drive, and see into it. I can
      > > also see it through Windows Explorer (XP SP2). I can copy a file
      > > from Windows which I can see from the telnet session, and create
      > > file using vi in telnet which I can then see from Explorer. I
      > don't
      > > recollect the path in telnet I used to get to the Windows-visible
      > > data area--something involving share, hdd, and public (I'm not an
      > > experienced Linux person).
      > >
      > > I've recycled several times through logging successfully with the
      > > drive off, hot-plugging it, exploring, rebooting unsuccessfully.
      > >
      > > I've also reformatted through the web interface and re-unslung.
      > >
      > > Any ideas why the Ready light never comes back on? What should I
      > do
      > > next?
    • lance_benson
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 16, 2005
        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Jim" <jamesl70@h...> wrote:
        >identical problem on my first attempt, I eventually got it
        > to work. Here is what I did:
        >
        >[Edited] on PC, remove all partitions, create one
        > big NTFS partition and reformat

        Thanks, Jim--knowing enough to know that I could use a big NTFS
        partition formated on a Windows PC would have saved me a lot of time.
        I've save your recommendation, and may get to use it in the future.
      • fransmeulenbroeks
        Message 3 of 22 , Aug 28, 2005
          I also encountered the problem Lance mentions below.
          Ready light never goes on again. When booting without a hard disk
          and hotplugging it, it is not recognized.

          Ended up with removing /var/run/usb_det.pid
          That cured my problem.
          Added an entry in the FAQ.

          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Byron Todd" <byrontodd@g...>

        • Inge Bjørnvall Arnesen
          Message 4 of 22 , Aug 29, 2005
            Hi - this was interesting. On a general note: Should the boot sequence
            perhaps clean /var/run ? Iow: are there any reason not to remove all files
            in /var/run on boot?

            How is this handled on other systems? Anyone know?

            best,

            -- Inge

            fransmeulenbroeks Sent: 29. august 2005 00:21 To:
            nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com Subject: [nslu2-linux] Re: Boot

          • fransmeulenbroeks
            Message 5 of 22 , Aug 29, 2005
              I feel it would be good to clean /var/run
              Something for 6.0 ?
              No idea how this is handled on other systems.

              I ran into the problem because my slug was hanging and I had to pull
              the plug. The button was not working any more.
              Especially if you have the always-on hw mod it is interesting to
              clean /var/run.

              Frans

              --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Inge Bjørnvall Arnesen
              <i.b.arnesen@f...> wrote:
              > Hi - this was interesting. On a general note: Should the boot sequence
              > perhaps clean /var/run ? Iow: are there any reason not to remove all
              files
              > in /var/run on boot?
              >
              > How is this handled on other systems? Anyone know?
              >
              > best,
              >
              > -- Inge

            • Inge Bjørnvall Arnesen
              Message 6 of 22 , Aug 29, 2005
                There is at least one good reason to actually clean it out in Unslung -
                maintain compatibity with Linksys and earlier versions of Unslung - this
                problem could not occur there as /var (in Linksys - the whole rootfs) is on
                a ramdrive and starts out fresh and virgin like after each boot.

                Since we have plenty of storage when unsling'ed, I would like to keep
                /var/log and such stuff.

                best,

                -- Inge

                fransmeulenbroeks Sent: 29. august 2005 13:21 To:
                nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com Subject: [nslu2-linux] Re:
                Leftovers in /var/run on boot?

                > I feel it would be good to clean /var/run
                > Something for 6.0 ?
                > No idea how this is handled on other systems.
                >
                > I ran into the problem because my slug was hanging and I
                > had to pull
                > the plug. The button was not working any more.
                > Especially if you have the always-on hw mod it is
                > interesting to
                > clean /var/run.
                >
                > Frans
                >
                > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Inge Bjørnvall Arnesen
                > <i.b.arnesen@f...> wrote:
                > > Hi - this was interesting. On a general note: Should
                > > the boot sequence perhaps clean /var/run ? Iow: are
                > > there any reason not to remove all
                > files
                > > in /var/run on boot?
                > >
                > > How is this handled on other systems? Anyone know?
                > >
                > > best,
                > >
                > > -- Inge

              • Jochen Rüter
                Message 7 of 22 , Aug 29, 2005
                  Hi all,

                  i was trying to build openslug from the mastermakefile, but I ran into
                  problems with monotone, which i didn't find anything about in the wiki.

                  When building, it stops with the errormessage i attached. My buildsystem
                  is debian sarge, i downloaded and installed the latest monotone version
                  (0.22). Before building, i did an make setup-host-debian, as described
                  in the wiki.

                  Any hints?

                  Thanks,

                  Jochen
                  Message 8 of 22 , Aug 29, 2005
                    Did you perhaps forget to run monotone db migrate when moving from 0.20 to 0.21 ?

                    If not, then I would suggest saving your keys and any local changes you have, and then removing the nslu2-linux.db file and let "make setup" download a new one.

                    -- Rod

                    On 8/30/05, Jochen Rüter <webseiten@...> wrote:
                    Hi all,

                    i was trying to build openslug from the mastermakefile, but I ran into
                    problems with monotone, which i didn't find anything about in the wiki.

                    When building, it stops with the errormessage i attached. My buildsystem
                    is debian sarge, i downloaded and installed the latest monotone version
                    (0.22). Before building, i did an make setup-host-debian, as described
                    in the wiki.

                    Any hints?

                    Thanks,

                    Jochen

                    YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                    [ -e monotone/nslu2-linux.db ] || ( mkdir -p monotone && \
                    wget http://sources.nslu2-linux.org/monotone/nslu2-linux.db.gz -O monotone/nslu2-linux.db.gz && \
                    gunzip monotone/nslu2-linux.db.gz )
                    ( monotone -d monotone/nslu2-linux.db unset database default-server )
                    monotone: fatal: std::runtime_error: failure extracting schema from sqlite_master
                    monotone: this is almost certainly a bug in monotone.
                    monotone: please send this error message, the output of 'monotone --full-version',
                    monotone: and a description of what you were doing to monotone-devel@....
                    monotone: discarding debug log (maybe you want --debug or --dump?)
                    make: [MT/.configured] Error 3 (ignored)
                    ( monotone -d monotone/nslu2-linux.db unset database default-include-pattern )
                    monotone: fatal: std::runtime_error: failure extracting schema from sqlite_master
                    monotone: this is almost certainly a bug in monotone.
                    monotone: please send this error message, the output of 'monotone --full-version',
                    monotone: and a description of what you were doing to monotone-devel@....
                    monotone: discarding debug log (maybe you want --debug or --dump?)
                    make: [MT/.configured] Error 3 (ignored)
                    ( monotone -d monotone/nslu2-linux.db pull monotone.nslu2-linux.org org.{nslu2-linux.*,openembedded.dev} )