Re: [nslu2-linux] Re: TurboSlugs: Adventures in overclocking

  • Steinar Midtskogen
    Message 1 of 46 , Jul 1, 2005
      √ėyvind Repvik <oyvind@...> writes:

      > Steinar Midtskogen wrote:
      >

      > > What about power needs?
      >
      > Read at the bottom of the OverClockingTheSlug howto.

      Ok, I'm convinced. Off the resistor went. And I now see 263
      Bogomips!

      I ran some read/write tests with the slug over nfs and I got:

      Write (to slug): 1.9 MB/s
      Read (from slug): 3.3 MB/s

      My slug runs on a flash disk, though, and these numbers aren't much
      different than what I saw previously. The speed of my disk is
      probably the limiting factor.

      --
      Steinar ; NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI ; http://latinitas.org ; http://voksenlia.net
    • Mark Hood
      Message 46 of 46 , Jul 12, 2005
        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Rod Whitby <list.yahoo@r...>
        wrote:
        > On 7/12/05, Rob Lockhart <rlockhar@g...> wrote:
        > > I would suggest if you can't do this yourself, ask either a
        friend or
        > > someone at a nearby EE hardware lab. You can't use a blunt
        soldering
        > > iron tip to do this without risking possible damage to the pads
        and
        > > corresponding traces.
        >
        > Note that we had a choice between two resistors for this mod, and we
        > chose the one which was safest to remove with a blunt instrument.
        > There are no traces underneath or running parallel to the resistor
        in
        > question, so it would be pretty hard to damage something.

        Thanks Rod, that's good to know. I may end up doing something like
        Jason did with a snipper of some sort.

        The detailed tips from Jeff and Rob are inspiring though and much
        appreciated. I'm going to open up my slug, take a look at the task,
        and see if I'm up for a little desoldering.

        Thanks everybody!

        -- Mark