Re: Problem with openvpn start script

  • Øyvind Repvik
    Message 1 of 29 , Jul 1 4:20 AM
      mbanditt wrote:

      > Do I need to delete some files in the cache, perhaps? Or should I
      > remove the whole cache and start the build all over again?

      My bad. Enter the openslug directory, then "source setup-env" and
      "bitbake -cclean atftp" to clean out the atftp build dir and stamps.
      Then you can try again.

      Øyvind :)
      Message 2 of 29 , Jul 1 4:36 AM
        On 7/1/05, mbanditt <auslands-kv@...> wrote:
        > Thanks for your help, Øyvind. I'm sorry, feeling very dumb. As I
        > said before, I don't know anything about monotone, bitbake and bitkeeper.

        make update
        make openslug-build

        -- Rod
      • mbanditt
        Message 3 of 29 , Jul 1 1:30 PM

          > make update
          > make openslug-build
          >
          > -- Rod

          Thanks, that one worked. It took another 3 hours to build but now my
          slug is running on openslug. :-)

          Next steps are:
          - Reduce read/write access to the disk (in order to allow spin down)
          by mounting /var/log and /var/run on ramfs.
          - Exchange dropbear with openssh (as I can't seem to get dropbear to
          reject password-authentication)
          - Install nfs, xinetd, openvpn, crond and some webserver.
          - Experiment with cups and sane (with my HP Officejet)
          - Experiment with home automation :-)

          Btw. many packages that were build in the process are not in the
          oe-feed. Is there another feed or do I have to compile all packages
          myself again when there is an update to some of them?

          Thanks for all your help

          Michael
          Message 4 of 29 , Jul 1 2:56 PM
            On 7/2/05, mbanditt <auslands-kv@...> wrote:
            > Btw. many packages that were build in the process are not in the
            > oe-feed. Is there another feed or do I have to compile all packages
            > myself again when there is an update to some of them?

            The packages built by openslug-packages.bb end up in the openslug/oe feed.

            -- Rod
          • mbanditt
            Message 5 of 29 , Jul 3 3:38 AM
              > The packages built by openslug-packages.bb end up in the openslug/oe
              feed.

              > -- Rod

              Not sure that I understand you correctly. After my build had finished
              I found lots of packages in tmp/deploy/ipk that are not in the
              openslug/oe feed. Just to name a few: binutils, crond, openvpn. Can
              they only be installed from self-build packages?

              Cheers,

              Michael

              P.S.: Now on Turboslug :)
            • John Bowler
              Message 6 of 29 , Jul 3 10:44 AM
                From: mbanditt
                >> The packages built by openslug-packages.bb end up in the openslug/oe
                >>feed.
                >>
                >> -- Rod
                >
                >Not sure that I understand you correctly. After my build had finished
                >I found lots of packages in tmp/deploy/ipk that are not in the
                >openslug/oe feed. Just to name a few: binutils, crond, openvpn. Can
                >they only be installed from self-build packages?

                That's correct.

                Look in openembedded/conf/distro.openslug.conf and examine the comments
                around the FEED_URIS lines - add a new FEED_URIs in your local.conf file
                which points to an FTP server for your tmp/deploy/ipk directory. Then you
                will be able to ipkg install anything that can be built. Please update one
                of the OpenSlug source pages explaining how to do this -
                http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/OpenSlug/CustomisingTheBuild is probably a
                good place.

                So far as the standard feed is concerned it is currently not being updated.
                The development team believes everyone would be very sorry if we started
                updating it, because the latest builds from monotone use a *new* glibc.

                In essence what we have is a stable feed locked to OpenSlug 2.0 and what we
                do *not* have is an 'unstable' feed locked to the latest monotone tree.
                Øyvind has made some good suggestions on the channel (#nslu2-linux) about
                what is required - the requirements are greater than for unslung because
                unslung does not change the base libc library.

                John Bowler <jbowler@...>
              • mbanditt
                Message 7 of 29 , Jul 4 1:37 AM

                  > unslung openvpn is broken. openslug openvpn works, for the time being.

                  openslug openvpn is broken as well (get the same test-crypto error as
                  with unslung openvpn) :(

                  Michael
                • Øyvind Repvik
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jul 4 1:41 AM
                    mbanditt wrote:
                    >>unslung openvpn is broken. openslug openvpn works, for the time being.
                    >

                    > openslug openvpn is broken as well (get the same test-crypto error as
                    > with unslung openvpn) :(

                    It's fixed in unstable (ie, the monotone repo). To fix openvpn, edit
                    openembedded/packages/openvpn/openvpn-2.0.bb and add this line before
                    "inherit autotools":

                    CFLAGS += "-fno-inline"

                    then clean out and rebuild.
                    This will make the bug go away ;-)

                    Øyvind
                  • Mathieu Monney
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jul 4 2:06 AM
                      Hi everybody !
                      I would like to know if someone has put his slug in his case when it is
                      overclocked ! Because I am afraid of the heating of this CPU... I am
                      asking me if it is reasonable to put the slug in his case when it is
                      overclocked...?
                      Sorry or my approximativ english ;-) !

                      Mathieu
                    • Øyvind Repvik
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jul 4 2:11 AM
                        Mathieu Monney wrote:
                        > Hi everybody !
                        > I would like to know if someone has put his slug in his case when it is
                        > overclocked ! Because I am afraid of the heating of this CPU... I am
                        > asking me if it is reasonable to put the slug in his case when it is
                        > overclocked...?
                        > Sorry or my approximativ english ;-) !
                        >
                        > Mathieu
                        Yes, I have been running it inside the case for a couple of days now.
                        The difference from the original is hardly noticeable.

                        Øyvind
                      • mbanditt
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jul 4 5:03 AM
                          > It's fixed in unstable (ie, the monotone repo). To fix openvpn,
                          edit
                          > openembedded/packages/openvpn/openvpn-2.0.bb and add this line
                          before
                          > "inherit autotools":
                          >
                          > CFLAGS += "-fno-inline"
                          >
                          > then clean out and rebuild.
                          > This will make the bug go away ;-)
                          >
                          > Øyvind

                          Thanks! I am learning, slowly but steadily. I have been looking for a
                          possibility to somehow add this option (as it was mentioned in
                          slugbug), but didn't know the exact command (CFLAGS).

                          Is there somewhere a kind of tutorial to bitbake? I've been
                          unsuccessfully searching for it quite a while now :(

                          And I also would like to port some apps from unslung to openslug. Some
                          seem to be simple to port (e.g. nano or imagemagick, the latter I need
                          for some automated webcam downloads and converts). I guess in several
                          cases it's mostly changing the install path. However, I have no idea
                          where to download e.g. the bitbake imagemagick.bb, libjpeg.bb,
                          libpng.bb etc. files and include them in the bitbake tree. Would this
                          be the right way?

                          Thanks again

                          Michael
                        • yahpn
                          Message 12 of 29 , Jul 4 7:41 AM
                            I also have been running at 233 MHz inside the case with the case in
                            the vertical position. The case never felt too hot so I doubt the
                            following is necessary, but I thought it might be hotter than it needs
                            to be since there were no holes on top. So, I drilled some, and while
                            I was at it, I made the pin holes on the component side of the side
                            case wider.

                            I made some holes wide enough to allow me to insert the thermocouple
                            from my multimeter. The measurements show no temperature problems at
                            all. Ambient temperatures in a couple of places inside the case and
                            even the IXP420 case temperature (harder to measure) itself are in the
                            40 - 49 C range. According to the datasheet ambient is allowed to be
                            as high as 70 C.