Re: Problem with openvpn start script

  • mbanditt
    Message 1 of 29 , Jul 1, 2005
      O.k. following up on my own post. The build finally failed. The
      following error messages occurred over the whole build:

      First there were three wget errors, all from oesources:

      NOTE: fetch
      http://www.oesources.org/source/current/familiar.d
      ist.ipkg_cvs.handhelds.org_V0-99-151_.tar.gz
      --10:33:20--
      http://www.oesources.org/source/current/familiar.d
      ist.ipkg_cvs.handhelds.org_V0-99-151_.tar.gz
      =>
      `/opt/test/nslu2/openslug/downloads/familiar.dist.
      ipkg_cvs.handhelds.org_V0-99-151_.tar.gz'
      Resolving www.oesources.org... 192.216.230.225
      Connecting to
      www.oesources.org[192.216.230.225]:80... connected.
      10:33:21 ERROR 404: Not Found.

      NOTE: fetch
      http://www.oesources.org/source/current/upslug_cvs.sourceforge.net_U
      PSLUG_1_0_.tar.gz
      --12:06:40--
      http://www.oesources.org/source/current/upslug_cvs.sourceforge.net
      _UPSLUG_1_0_.tar.gz
      =>
      `/opt/test/nslu2/openslug/downloads/upslug_cvs.sourceforge.net_UPS
      LUG_1_0_.tar.gz'
      Resolving www.oesources.org... 192.216.230.225
      Connecting to www.oesources.org[192.216.230.225]:80...
      connected. HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404
      Not Found
      12:06:41 ERROR 404: Not Found.

      NOTE: fetch
      http://www.oesources.org/source/current/slugimage_
      cvs.sourceforge.net_SLUGIMAGE_3_2_.tar.gz
      --12:07:44--
      http://www.oesources.org/source/current/slugimage_
      cvs.sourceforge.net_SLUGIMAGE_3_2_.tar.gz
      =>
      `/opt/test/nslu2/openslug/downloads/slugimage_cvs.
      sourceforge.net_SLUGIMAGE_3_2_.tar.gz'
      Resolving www.oesources.org... 192.216.230.225
      Connecting to www.oesources.org[192.216.230.225]:80...
      connected.
      12:07:45 ERROR 404: Not Found.

      The build, however, continued. It broke finally after 1,5 hours with
      the following message:

      NOTE: package atftp-0.7-r1: task do_unpack: completed
      NOTE: package atftp-0.7-r1: task do_patch: started
      NOTE: package atftp-0.7-r1: task do_patch: completed
      NOTE: package atftp-0.7-r1: task do_configure: started
      NOTE: package atftp-0.7-r1: task do_configure: completed
      NOTE: package atftp-0.7-r1: task do_compile: started
      ERROR: function do_compile failed
      ERROR: see log in
      /opt/test/nslu2/openslug/tmp/work/atftp-0.7-r1/tem
      p/log.do_compile.28954
      NOTE: Task failed:
      /opt/test/nslu2/openslug/tmp/work/atftp-0.7-r1/tem
      p/log.do_compile.28954
      NOTE: package atftp-0.7-r1: task do_compile: failed
      ERROR: TaskFailed event exception, aborting
      NOTE: package atftp-0.7: failed
      ERROR: Build of openslug-packages failed
      make[1]: *** [openslug-firmware] Fehler 1
      make[1]: Leaving directory `/opt/test/nslu2/openslug'
      make: *** [openslug-build] Fehler 2

      And the compile log states:

      NOTE: make
      make[2]: Entering directory
      `/opt/test/nslu2/openslug/tmp/work/atftp-0.7-r1/atf$
      cd /opt/test/nslu2/openslug/tmp/work/atftp-0.7-r1/atftp-0.7 && /bin/sh
      /opt/tes$
      rm -f stamp-h1
      touch /opt/test/nslu2/openslug/tmp/work/atftp-0.7-
      r1/atftp-0.7/config.h.in
      cd . && /bin/sh ./config.status config.h
      config.status: creating config.h
      config.status: config.h is unchanged
      make all-recursive
      make[3]: Entering directory
      `/opt/test/nslu2/openslug/tmp/work/atftp-0.7-r1/atf$
      Making all in .
      make[4]: Entering directory
      `/opt/test/nslu2/openslug/tmp/work/atftp-0.7-r1/atf$
      if armeb-linux-gcc -march=armv5te -mtune=xscale -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I.
      -I/opt/test$
      then mv -f ".deps/tftp.Tpo" ".deps/tftp.Po"; else rm -f
      ".deps/tftp.Tpo"; exit $
      In file included from tftp.c:43:
      argz.h:184: error: parse error before '{' token
      argz.h:198: error: parse error before '{' token
      make[4]: *** [tftp.o] Error 1
      make[4]: Leaving directory
      `/opt/test/nslu2/openslug/tmp/work/atftp-0.7-r1/atft$
      make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
      make[3]: Leaving directory
      `/opt/test/nslu2/openslug/tmp/work/atftp-0.7-r1/atft$
      make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
      FATAL: oe_runmake failed

      Any idea?

      Michael
    • Øyvind Repvik
      Message 2 of 29 , Jul 1, 2005
        mbanditt wrote:
> [...]
        >
        > NOTE: package atftp-0.7-r1: task do_unpack: completed
        > NOTE: package atftp-0.7-r1: task do_patch: started
        > NOTE: package atftp-0.7-r1: task do_patch: completed
        > NOTE: package atftp-0.7-r1: task do_configure: started
        > NOTE: package atftp-0.7-r1: task do_configure: completed
        > NOTE: package atftp-0.7-r1: task do_compile: started
        > ERROR: function do_compile failed
        > ERROR: see log in
        > /opt/test/nslu2/openslug/tmp/work/atftp-0.7-r1/tem
        > p/log.do_compile.28954
        > NOTE: Task failed:
        > /opt/test/nslu2/openslug/tmp/work/atftp-0.7-r1/tem
        > p/log.do_compile.28954
        > NOTE: package atftp-0.7-r1: task do_compile: failed
        > ERROR: TaskFailed event exception, aborting
        > NOTE: package atftp-0.7: failed
        > ERROR: Build of openslug-packages failed
        > make[1]: *** [openslug-firmware] Fehler 1
        > make[1]: Leaving directory `/opt/test/nslu2/openslug'

        atftp seems to be broken at the moment. I moved it to BROKEN_PACKAGES.
        If you do a monotone pull (in the openembedded directory) you should get
        the change.

        Øyvind
      • mbanditt
        Message 3 of 29 , Jul 1, 2005
          > atftp seems to be broken at the moment. I moved it to
          BROKEN_PACKAGES.
          > If you do a monotone pull (in the openembedded directory) you should
          get
          > the change.
          >
          > Øyvind

          Thanks for your help, Øyvind. I'm sorry, feeling very dumb. As I
          said
          before, I don't know anything about monotone, bitbake and bitkeeper.

          Tried, what you said:

          # cd openembedded
          # monotone pull
          monotone: warning: doing anonymous pull
          monotone: connecting to monotone.nslu2-linux.org
          monotone: rebuilding merkle trees for collection org
          monotone: including branch org.openembedded.dev
          monotone: including branch org.openembedded.nslu2-linux
          monotone: including branch org.nslu2-linux.dev
          monotone: [certs: 114] [keys: 7]
          monotone: [bytes in: 6453] [bytes out: 1393] [certs in: 9] [revs in:
          3]
          monotone: verifying new revisions (this may take a while)
          monotone: successful exchange with monotone.nslu2-linux.org
          monotone: [bytes in: 6453] [bytes out: 1407] [certs in: 9] [revs in:
          3]

          Then started the build again:
          # cd ..
          # make openslug-build
          ( cd openslug ; make )
          make[1]: Entering directory `/opt/test/nslu2/openslug'
          ( source setup-env ; bitbake openslug-packages )
          Environment set up for OpenSlug development.
          NOTE: Using cache in '/opt/test/nslu2/openslug/tmp/cache'
          NOTE: Parsing finished. 538 cached, 0 parsed, 25 skipped, 0 masked.
          NOTE: build 200507011251: started

          OE Build Configuration:
          TARGET_ARCH = "armeb"
          TARGET_OS = "linux"
          MACHINE = "nslu2"
          DISTRO = "openslug"
          TARGET_FPU = "soft"

          NOTE: package openslug-image-1.0: started
          NOTE: package openslug-image-1.0-r13: task do_fetch: started
          NOTE: package openslug-image-1.0-r13: task do_fetch: completed
          NOTE: package openslug-image-1.0-r13: task do_rootfs: started
          NOTE: package openslug-image-1.0-r13: task do_rootfs: completed
          NOTE: package openslug-image-1.0-r13: task do_build: started
          NOTE: package openslug-image-1.0-r13: task do_build: completed
          NOTE: package openslug-image-1.0: completed
          NOTE: package atftp-0.7: started
          NOTE: package atftp-0.7-r1: task do_fetch: started
          NOTE: package atftp-0.7-r1: task do_fetch: completed
          NOTE: package atftp-0.7-r1: task do_compile: started
          ERROR: function do_compile failed
          ERROR: see log in
          /opt/test/nslu2/openslug/tmp/work/atftp-0.7-r1/tem
          p/log.do_compile.25097
          NOTE: Task failed:
          /opt/test/nslu2/openslug/tmp/work/atftp-0.7-r1/tem
          p/log.do_compile.25097
          NOTE: package atftp-0.7-r1: task do_compile: failed
          ERROR: TaskFailed event exception, aborting
          NOTE: package atftp-0.7: failed
          ERROR: Build of openslug-packages failed
          make[1]: *** [openslug-firmware] Fehler 1
          make[1]: Leaving directory `/opt/test/nslu2/openslug'
          make: *** [openslug-build] Fehler 2

          Do I need to delete some files in the cache, perhaps? Or should I
          remove the whole cache and start the build all over again?

          Michael
          Message 4 of 29 , Jul 1, 2005
            On 7/1/05, mbanditt <auslands-kv@...> wrote:
            > First there were three wget errors, all from oesources:

            Ignore those. It's just trying to save you time by checking if it's
            on oesources first before trying to get it from the original CVS
            location.

            > The build, however, continued. It broke finally after 1,5 hours with
            > the following message:
            > NOTE: package atftp-0.7-r1: task do_compile: started
            > ERROR: function do_compile failed
            > In file included from tftp.c:43:
            > argz.h:184: error: parse error before '{' token

            Known problem. Unknown solution at the moment. Note that the
            firmware image has been built if you got that far, and you can build
            other packages individually if you need to.

            -- Rod
          • Øyvind Repvik
            Message 5 of 29 , Jul 1, 2005
              mbanditt wrote:

              > Do I need to delete some files in the cache, perhaps? Or should I
              > remove the whole cache and start the build all over again?

              My bad. Enter the openslug directory, then "source setup-env" and
              "bitbake -cclean atftp" to clean out the atftp build dir and stamps.
              Then you can try again.

              Øyvind :)
              Message 6 of 29 , Jul 1, 2005
                On 7/1/05, mbanditt <auslands-kv@...> wrote:
                > Thanks for your help, Øyvind. I'm sorry, feeling very dumb. As I
                > said before, I don't know anything about monotone, bitbake and bitkeeper.

                make update
                make openslug-build

                -- Rod
              • mbanditt
                Message 7 of 29 , Jul 1, 2005

                  > make update
                  > make openslug-build
                  >
                  > -- Rod

                  Thanks, that one worked. It took another 3 hours to build but now my
                  slug is running on openslug. :-)

                  Next steps are:
                  - Reduce read/write access to the disk (in order to allow spin down)
                  by mounting /var/log and /var/run on ramfs.
                  - Exchange dropbear with openssh (as I can't seem to get dropbear to
                  reject password-authentication)
                  - Install nfs, xinetd, openvpn, crond and some webserver.
                  - Experiment with cups and sane (with my HP Officejet)
                  - Experiment with home automation :-)

                  Btw. many packages that were build in the process are not in the
                  oe-feed. Is there another feed or do I have to compile all packages
                  myself again when there is an update to some of them?

                  Thanks for all your help

                  Michael
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jul 1, 2005
                    On 7/2/05, mbanditt <auslands-kv@...> wrote:
                    > Btw. many packages that were build in the process are not in the
                    > oe-feed. Is there another feed or do I have to compile all packages
                    > myself again when there is an update to some of them?

                    The packages built by openslug-packages.bb end up in the openslug/oe feed.

                    -- Rod
                  • mbanditt
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jul 3, 2005
                      > The packages built by openslug-packages.bb end up in the openslug/oe
                      feed.

                      > -- Rod

                      Not sure that I understand you correctly. After my build had finished
                      I found lots of packages in tmp/deploy/ipk that are not in the
                      openslug/oe feed. Just to name a few: binutils, crond, openvpn. Can
                      they only be installed from self-build packages?

                      Cheers,

                      Michael

                      P.S.: Now on Turboslug :)
                    • John Bowler
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jul 3, 2005
                        From: mbanditt
                        >> The packages built by openslug-packages.bb end up in the openslug/oe
                        >>feed.
                        >>
                        >> -- Rod
                        >
                        >Not sure that I understand you correctly. After my build had finished
                        >I found lots of packages in tmp/deploy/ipk that are not in the
                        >openslug/oe feed. Just to name a few: binutils, crond, openvpn. Can
                        >they only be installed from self-build packages?

                        That's correct.

                        Look in openembedded/conf/distro.openslug.conf and examine the comments
                        around the FEED_URIS lines - add a new FEED_URIs in your local.conf file
                        which points to an FTP server for your tmp/deploy/ipk directory. Then you
                        will be able to ipkg install anything that can be built. Please update one
                        of the OpenSlug source pages explaining how to do this -
                        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/OpenSlug/CustomisingTheBuild is probably a
                        good place.

                        So far as the standard feed is concerned it is currently not being updated.
                        The development team believes everyone would be very sorry if we started
                        updating it, because the latest builds from monotone use a *new* glibc.

                        In essence what we have is a stable feed locked to OpenSlug 2.0 and what we
                        do *not* have is an 'unstable' feed locked to the latest monotone tree.
                        Øyvind has made some good suggestions on the channel (#nslu2-linux) about
                        what is required - the requirements are greater than for unslung because
                        unslung does not change the base libc library.

                        John Bowler <jbowler@...>
                      • mbanditt
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jul 4, 2005

                          > unslung openvpn is broken. openslug openvpn works, for the time being.

                          openslug openvpn is broken as well (get the same test-crypto error as
                          with unslung openvpn) :(

                          Michael
                        • Øyvind Repvik
                          Message 12 of 29 , Jul 4, 2005
                            mbanditt wrote:
                            >>unslung openvpn is broken. openslug openvpn works, for the time being.
                            >

                            > openslug openvpn is broken as well (get the same test-crypto error as
                            > with unslung openvpn) :(

                            It's fixed in unstable (ie, the monotone repo). To fix openvpn, edit
                            openembedded/packages/openvpn/openvpn-2.0.bb and add this line before
                            "inherit autotools":

                            CFLAGS += "-fno-inline"

                            then clean out and rebuild.
                            This will make the bug go away ;-)

                            Øyvind
                          • Mathieu Monney
                            Message 13 of 29 , Jul 4, 2005
                              Hi everybody !
                              I would like to know if someone has put his slug in his case when it is
                              overclocked ! Because I am afraid of the heating of this CPU... I am
                              asking me if it is reasonable to put the slug in his case when it is
                              overclocked...?
                              Sorry or my approximativ english ;-) !

                              Mathieu
                            • Øyvind Repvik
                              Message 14 of 29 , Jul 4, 2005
                                Mathieu Monney wrote:
                                > Hi everybody !
                                > I would like to know if someone has put his slug in his case when it is
                                > overclocked ! Because I am afraid of the heating of this CPU... I am
                                > asking me if it is reasonable to put the slug in his case when it is
                                > overclocked...?
                                > Sorry or my approximativ english ;-) !
                                >
                                > Mathieu
                                Yes, I have been running it inside the case for a couple of days now.
                                The difference from the original is hardly noticeable.

                                Øyvind
                              • mbanditt
                                Message 15 of 29 , Jul 4, 2005
                                  > It's fixed in unstable (ie, the monotone repo). To fix openvpn,
                                  edit
                                  > openembedded/packages/openvpn/openvpn-2.0.bb and add this line
                                  before
                                  > "inherit autotools":
                                  >
                                  > CFLAGS += "-fno-inline"
                                  >
                                  > then clean out and rebuild.
                                  > This will make the bug go away ;-)
                                  >
                                  > Øyvind

                                  Thanks! I am learning, slowly but steadily. I have been looking for a
                                  possibility to somehow add this option (as it was mentioned in
                                  slugbug), but didn't know the exact command (CFLAGS).

                                  Is there somewhere a kind of tutorial to bitbake? I've been
                                  unsuccessfully searching for it quite a while now :(

                                  And I also would like to port some apps from unslung to openslug. Some
                                  seem to be simple to port (e.g. nano or imagemagick, the latter I need
                                  for some automated webcam downloads and converts). I guess in several
                                  cases it's mostly changing the install path. However, I have no idea
                                  where to download e.g. the bitbake imagemagick.bb, libjpeg.bb,
                                  libpng.bb etc. files and include them in the bitbake tree. Would this
                                  be the right way?

                                  Thanks again

                                  Michael
                                • yahpn
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Jul 4, 2005
                                    I also have been running at 233 MHz inside the case with the case in
                                    the vertical position. The case never felt too hot so I doubt the
                                    following is necessary, but I thought it might be hotter than it needs
                                    to be since there were no holes on top. So, I drilled some, and while
                                    I was at it, I made the pin holes on the component side of the side
                                    case wider.

                                    I made some holes wide enough to allow me to insert the thermocouple
                                    from my multimeter. The measurements show no temperature problems at
                                    all. Ambient temperatures in a couple of places inside the case and
                                    even the IXP420 case temperature (harder to measure) itself are in the
                                    40 - 49 C range. According to the datasheet ambient is allowed to be
                                    as high as 70 C.