Re: Problem with openvpn start script

  • mbanditt
    Message 1 of 29 , Jul 1, 2005
      > The official stanza is:
      >
      > mkdir /home/slug
      > cd /home/slug
      > wget http://www.nslu2-linux.org/Makefile
      > make
      >
      > (the doco will assume you have done it in /home/slug, so please
      > advertise it as such)
      >
      > That will build almost everything to do with the nslu2-linux
      project.

      > You will need certain required software installed before you do the
      > above, but that is still being documented.
      >
      > -- Rod

      Thanks, I'm building right now (already running for more than an
      hour..).

      I'm, however, using /opt/nslu2 as the directory. Hope that doesn't
      matter, does it?

      I had to go through the following steps to make it work (well, as far
      as I've got now):

      # apt-get install monotone
      # apt-get install emacs21 (it seems I had a stripped down
      version installed)
      # mkdir /opt/nslu2 (as I said above)
      # cd /opt/nslu2
      # wget http://www.nslu2-linux.org/Makefile
      # make setup (important, otherwise nothing works)
      # make openslug-build

      There was one error message so far:
      NOTE: fetch
      http://www.oesources.org/source/current/familiar.d
      ist.ipkg_cvs.handhelds.org_V0-99-151_.tar.gz
      --10:33:20--
      http://www.oesources.org/source/current/familiar.d
      ist.ipkg_cvs.handhelds.org_V0-99-151_.tar.gz
      =>
      `/opt/test/nslu2/openslug/downloads/familiar.dist.
      ipkg_cvs.handhelds.org_V0-99-151_.tar.gz'
      Resolving www.oesources.org... 192.216.230.225
      Connecting to www.oesources.org[192.216.230.225]:80...
      connected.
      10:33:21 ERROR 404: Not Found.

      The build continued, nonetheless. Does this one matter?

      Cheers,

      Michael
    • mbanditt
      Message 2 of 29 , Jul 1, 2005
        O.k. following up on my own post. The build finally failed. The
        following error messages occurred over the whole build:

        First there were three wget errors, all from oesources:

        NOTE: fetch
        http://www.oesources.org/source/current/familiar.d
        ist.ipkg_cvs.handhelds.org_V0-99-151_.tar.gz
        --10:33:20--
        http://www.oesources.org/source/current/familiar.d
        ist.ipkg_cvs.handhelds.org_V0-99-151_.tar.gz
        =>
        `/opt/test/nslu2/openslug/downloads/familiar.dist.
        ipkg_cvs.handhelds.org_V0-99-151_.tar.gz'
        Resolving www.oesources.org... 192.216.230.225
        Connecting to
        www.oesources.org[192.216.230.225]:80... connected.
        10:33:21 ERROR 404: Not Found.

        NOTE: fetch
        http://www.oesources.org/source/current/upslug_cvs.sourceforge.net_U
        PSLUG_1_0_.tar.gz
        --12:06:40--
        http://www.oesources.org/source/current/upslug_cvs.sourceforge.net
        _UPSLUG_1_0_.tar.gz
        =>
        `/opt/test/nslu2/openslug/downloads/upslug_cvs.sourceforge.net_UPS
        LUG_1_0_.tar.gz'
        Resolving www.oesources.org... 192.216.230.225
        Connecting to www.oesources.org[192.216.230.225]:80...
        connected. HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404
        Not Found
        12:06:41 ERROR 404: Not Found.

        NOTE: fetch
        http://www.oesources.org/source/current/slugimage_
        cvs.sourceforge.net_SLUGIMAGE_3_2_.tar.gz
        --12:07:44--
        http://www.oesources.org/source/current/slugimage_
        cvs.sourceforge.net_SLUGIMAGE_3_2_.tar.gz
        =>
        `/opt/test/nslu2/openslug/downloads/slugimage_cvs.
        sourceforge.net_SLUGIMAGE_3_2_.tar.gz'
        Resolving www.oesources.org... 192.216.230.225
        Connecting to www.oesources.org[192.216.230.225]:80...
        connected.
        12:07:45 ERROR 404: Not Found.

        The build, however, continued. It broke finally after 1,5 hours with
        the following message:

        NOTE: package atftp-0.7-r1: task do_unpack: completed
        NOTE: package atftp-0.7-r1: task do_patch: started
        NOTE: package atftp-0.7-r1: task do_patch: completed
        NOTE: package atftp-0.7-r1: task do_configure: started
        NOTE: package atftp-0.7-r1: task do_configure: completed
        NOTE: package atftp-0.7-r1: task do_compile: started
        ERROR: function do_compile failed
        ERROR: see log in
        /opt/test/nslu2/openslug/tmp/work/atftp-0.7-r1/tem
        p/log.do_compile.28954
        NOTE: Task failed:
        /opt/test/nslu2/openslug/tmp/work/atftp-0.7-r1/tem
        p/log.do_compile.28954
        NOTE: package atftp-0.7-r1: task do_compile: failed
        ERROR: TaskFailed event exception, aborting
        NOTE: package atftp-0.7: failed
        ERROR: Build of openslug-packages failed
        make[1]: *** [openslug-firmware] Fehler 1
        make[1]: Leaving directory `/opt/test/nslu2/openslug'
        make: *** [openslug-build] Fehler 2

        And the compile log states:

        NOTE: make
        make[2]: Entering directory
        `/opt/test/nslu2/openslug/tmp/work/atftp-0.7-r1/atf$
        cd /opt/test/nslu2/openslug/tmp/work/atftp-0.7-r1/atftp-0.7 && /bin/sh
        /opt/tes$
        rm -f stamp-h1
        touch /opt/test/nslu2/openslug/tmp/work/atftp-0.7-
        r1/atftp-0.7/config.h.in
        cd . && /bin/sh ./config.status config.h
        config.status: creating config.h
        config.status: config.h is unchanged
        make all-recursive
        make[3]: Entering directory
        `/opt/test/nslu2/openslug/tmp/work/atftp-0.7-r1/atf$
        Making all in .
        make[4]: Entering directory
        `/opt/test/nslu2/openslug/tmp/work/atftp-0.7-r1/atf$
        if armeb-linux-gcc -march=armv5te -mtune=xscale -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I.
        -I/opt/test$
        then mv -f ".deps/tftp.Tpo" ".deps/tftp.Po"; else rm -f
        ".deps/tftp.Tpo"; exit $
        In file included from tftp.c:43:
        argz.h:184: error: parse error before '{' token
        argz.h:198: error: parse error before '{' token
        make[4]: *** [tftp.o] Error 1
        make[4]: Leaving directory
        `/opt/test/nslu2/openslug/tmp/work/atftp-0.7-r1/atft$
        make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
        make[3]: Leaving directory
        `/opt/test/nslu2/openslug/tmp/work/atftp-0.7-r1/atft$
        make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
        FATAL: oe_runmake failed

        Any idea?

        Michael
      • Øyvind Repvik
        Message 3 of 29 , Jul 1, 2005
          mbanditt wrote:
> [...]
          >
          > NOTE: package atftp-0.7-r1: task do_unpack: completed
          > NOTE: package atftp-0.7-r1: task do_patch: started
          > NOTE: package atftp-0.7-r1: task do_patch: completed
          > NOTE: package atftp-0.7-r1: task do_configure: started
          > NOTE: package atftp-0.7-r1: task do_configure: completed
          > NOTE: package atftp-0.7-r1: task do_compile: started
          > ERROR: function do_compile failed
          > ERROR: see log in
          > /opt/test/nslu2/openslug/tmp/work/atftp-0.7-r1/tem
          > p/log.do_compile.28954
          > NOTE: Task failed:
          > /opt/test/nslu2/openslug/tmp/work/atftp-0.7-r1/tem
          > p/log.do_compile.28954
          > NOTE: package atftp-0.7-r1: task do_compile: failed
          > ERROR: TaskFailed event exception, aborting
          > NOTE: package atftp-0.7: failed
          > ERROR: Build of openslug-packages failed
          > make[1]: *** [openslug-firmware] Fehler 1
          > make[1]: Leaving directory `/opt/test/nslu2/openslug'

          atftp seems to be broken at the moment. I moved it to BROKEN_PACKAGES.
          If you do a monotone pull (in the openembedded directory) you should get
          the change.

          Øyvind
        • mbanditt
          Message 4 of 29 , Jul 1, 2005
            > atftp seems to be broken at the moment. I moved it to
            BROKEN_PACKAGES.
            > If you do a monotone pull (in the openembedded directory) you should
            get
            > the change.
            >
            > Øyvind

            Thanks for your help, Øyvind. I'm sorry, feeling very dumb. As I
            said
            before, I don't know anything about monotone, bitbake and bitkeeper.

            Tried, what you said:

            # cd openembedded
            # monotone pull
            monotone: warning: doing anonymous pull
            monotone: connecting to monotone.nslu2-linux.org
            monotone: rebuilding merkle trees for collection org
            monotone: including branch org.openembedded.dev
            monotone: including branch org.openembedded.nslu2-linux
            monotone: including branch org.nslu2-linux.dev
            monotone: [certs: 114] [keys: 7]
            monotone: [bytes in: 6453] [bytes out: 1393] [certs in: 9] [revs in:
            3]
            monotone: verifying new revisions (this may take a while)
            monotone: successful exchange with monotone.nslu2-linux.org
            monotone: [bytes in: 6453] [bytes out: 1407] [certs in: 9] [revs in:
            3]

            Then started the build again:
            # cd ..
            # make openslug-build
            ( cd openslug ; make )
            make[1]: Entering directory `/opt/test/nslu2/openslug'
            ( source setup-env ; bitbake openslug-packages )
            Environment set up for OpenSlug development.
            NOTE: Using cache in '/opt/test/nslu2/openslug/tmp/cache'
            NOTE: Parsing finished. 538 cached, 0 parsed, 25 skipped, 0 masked.
            NOTE: build 200507011251: started

            OE Build Configuration:
            TARGET_ARCH = "armeb"
            TARGET_OS = "linux"
            MACHINE = "nslu2"
            DISTRO = "openslug"
            TARGET_FPU = "soft"

            NOTE: package openslug-image-1.0: started
            NOTE: package openslug-image-1.0-r13: task do_fetch: started
            NOTE: package openslug-image-1.0-r13: task do_fetch: completed
            NOTE: package openslug-image-1.0-r13: task do_rootfs: started
            NOTE: package openslug-image-1.0-r13: task do_rootfs: completed
            NOTE: package openslug-image-1.0-r13: task do_build: started
            NOTE: package openslug-image-1.0-r13: task do_build: completed
            NOTE: package openslug-image-1.0: completed
            NOTE: package atftp-0.7: started
            NOTE: package atftp-0.7-r1: task do_fetch: started
            NOTE: package atftp-0.7-r1: task do_fetch: completed
            NOTE: package atftp-0.7-r1: task do_compile: started
            ERROR: function do_compile failed
            ERROR: see log in
            /opt/test/nslu2/openslug/tmp/work/atftp-0.7-r1/tem
            p/log.do_compile.25097
            NOTE: Task failed:
            /opt/test/nslu2/openslug/tmp/work/atftp-0.7-r1/tem
            p/log.do_compile.25097
            NOTE: package atftp-0.7-r1: task do_compile: failed
            ERROR: TaskFailed event exception, aborting
            NOTE: package atftp-0.7: failed
            ERROR: Build of openslug-packages failed
            make[1]: *** [openslug-firmware] Fehler 1
            make[1]: Leaving directory `/opt/test/nslu2/openslug'
            make: *** [openslug-build] Fehler 2

            Do I need to delete some files in the cache, perhaps? Or should I
            remove the whole cache and start the build all over again?

            Michael
            Message 5 of 29 , Jul 1, 2005
              On 7/1/05, mbanditt <auslands-kv@...> wrote:
              > First there were three wget errors, all from oesources:

              Ignore those. It's just trying to save you time by checking if it's
              on oesources first before trying to get it from the original CVS
              location.

              > The build, however, continued. It broke finally after 1,5 hours with
              > the following message:
              > NOTE: package atftp-0.7-r1: task do_compile: started
              > ERROR: function do_compile failed
              > In file included from tftp.c:43:
              > argz.h:184: error: parse error before '{' token

              Known problem. Unknown solution at the moment. Note that the
              firmware image has been built if you got that far, and you can build
              other packages individually if you need to.

              -- Rod
            • Øyvind Repvik
              Message 6 of 29 , Jul 1, 2005
                mbanditt wrote:

                > Do I need to delete some files in the cache, perhaps? Or should I
                > remove the whole cache and start the build all over again?

                My bad. Enter the openslug directory, then "source setup-env" and
                "bitbake -cclean atftp" to clean out the atftp build dir and stamps.
                Then you can try again.

                Øyvind :)
                Message 7 of 29 , Jul 1, 2005
                  On 7/1/05, mbanditt <auslands-kv@...> wrote:
                  > Thanks for your help, Øyvind. I'm sorry, feeling very dumb. As I
                  > said before, I don't know anything about monotone, bitbake and bitkeeper.

                  make update
                  make openslug-build

                  -- Rod
                • mbanditt
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jul 1, 2005

                    > make update
                    > make openslug-build
                    >
                    > -- Rod

                    Thanks, that one worked. It took another 3 hours to build but now my
                    slug is running on openslug. :-)

                    Next steps are:
                    - Reduce read/write access to the disk (in order to allow spin down)
                    by mounting /var/log and /var/run on ramfs.
                    - Exchange dropbear with openssh (as I can't seem to get dropbear to
                    reject password-authentication)
                    - Install nfs, xinetd, openvpn, crond and some webserver.
                    - Experiment with cups and sane (with my HP Officejet)
                    - Experiment with home automation :-)

                    Btw. many packages that were build in the process are not in the
                    oe-feed. Is there another feed or do I have to compile all packages
                    myself again when there is an update to some of them?

                    Thanks for all your help

                    Michael
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jul 1, 2005
                      On 7/2/05, mbanditt <auslands-kv@...> wrote:
                      > Btw. many packages that were build in the process are not in the
                      > oe-feed. Is there another feed or do I have to compile all packages
                      > myself again when there is an update to some of them?

                      The packages built by openslug-packages.bb end up in the openslug/oe feed.

                      -- Rod
                    • mbanditt
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jul 3, 2005
                        > The packages built by openslug-packages.bb end up in the openslug/oe
                        feed.

                        > -- Rod

                        Not sure that I understand you correctly. After my build had finished
                        I found lots of packages in tmp/deploy/ipk that are not in the
                        openslug/oe feed. Just to name a few: binutils, crond, openvpn. Can
                        they only be installed from self-build packages?

                        Cheers,

                        Michael

                        P.S.: Now on Turboslug :)
                      • John Bowler
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jul 3, 2005
                          From: mbanditt
                          >> The packages built by openslug-packages.bb end up in the openslug/oe
                          >>feed.
                          >>
                          >> -- Rod
                          >
                          >Not sure that I understand you correctly. After my build had finished
                          >I found lots of packages in tmp/deploy/ipk that are not in the
                          >openslug/oe feed. Just to name a few: binutils, crond, openvpn. Can
                          >they only be installed from self-build packages?

                          That's correct.

                          Look in openembedded/conf/distro.openslug.conf and examine the comments
                          around the FEED_URIS lines - add a new FEED_URIs in your local.conf file
                          which points to an FTP server for your tmp/deploy/ipk directory. Then you
                          will be able to ipkg install anything that can be built. Please update one
                          of the OpenSlug source pages explaining how to do this -
                          http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/OpenSlug/CustomisingTheBuild is probably a
                          good place.

                          So far as the standard feed is concerned it is currently not being updated.
                          The development team believes everyone would be very sorry if we started
                          updating it, because the latest builds from monotone use a *new* glibc.

                          In essence what we have is a stable feed locked to OpenSlug 2.0 and what we
                          do *not* have is an 'unstable' feed locked to the latest monotone tree.
                          Øyvind has made some good suggestions on the channel (#nslu2-linux) about
                          what is required - the requirements are greater than for unslung because
                          unslung does not change the base libc library.

                          John Bowler <jbowler@...>
                        • mbanditt
                          Message 12 of 29 , Jul 4, 2005

                            > unslung openvpn is broken. openslug openvpn works, for the time being.

                            openslug openvpn is broken as well (get the same test-crypto error as
                            with unslung openvpn) :(

                            Michael
                          • Øyvind Repvik
                            Message 13 of 29 , Jul 4, 2005
                              mbanditt wrote:
                              >>unslung openvpn is broken. openslug openvpn works, for the time being.
                              >

                              > openslug openvpn is broken as well (get the same test-crypto error as
                              > with unslung openvpn) :(

                              It's fixed in unstable (ie, the monotone repo). To fix openvpn, edit
                              openembedded/packages/openvpn/openvpn-2.0.bb and add this line before
                              "inherit autotools":

                              CFLAGS += "-fno-inline"

                              then clean out and rebuild.
                              This will make the bug go away ;-)

                              Øyvind
                            • Mathieu Monney
                              Message 14 of 29 , Jul 4, 2005
                                Hi everybody !
                                I would like to know if someone has put his slug in his case when it is
                                overclocked ! Because I am afraid of the heating of this CPU... I am
                                asking me if it is reasonable to put the slug in his case when it is
                                overclocked...?
                                Sorry or my approximativ english ;-) !

                                Mathieu
                              • Øyvind Repvik
                                Message 15 of 29 , Jul 4, 2005
                                  Mathieu Monney wrote:
                                  > Hi everybody !
                                  > I would like to know if someone has put his slug in his case when it is
                                  > overclocked ! Because I am afraid of the heating of this CPU... I am
                                  > asking me if it is reasonable to put the slug in his case when it is
                                  > overclocked...?
                                  > Sorry or my approximativ english ;-) !
                                  >
                                  > Mathieu
                                  Yes, I have been running it inside the case for a couple of days now.
                                  The difference from the original is hardly noticeable.

                                  Øyvind
                                • mbanditt
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Jul 4, 2005
                                    > It's fixed in unstable (ie, the monotone repo). To fix openvpn,
                                    edit
                                    > openembedded/packages/openvpn/openvpn-2.0.bb and add this line
                                    before
                                    > "inherit autotools":
                                    >
                                    > CFLAGS += "-fno-inline"
                                    >
                                    > then clean out and rebuild.
                                    > This will make the bug go away ;-)
                                    >
                                    > Øyvind

                                    Thanks! I am learning, slowly but steadily. I have been looking for a
                                    possibility to somehow add this option (as it was mentioned in
                                    slugbug), but didn't know the exact command (CFLAGS).

                                    Is there somewhere a kind of tutorial to bitbake? I've been
                                    unsuccessfully searching for it quite a while now :(

                                    And I also would like to port some apps from unslung to openslug. Some
                                    seem to be simple to port (e.g. nano or imagemagick, the latter I need
                                    for some automated webcam downloads and converts). I guess in several
                                    cases it's mostly changing the install path. However, I have no idea
                                    where to download e.g. the bitbake imagemagick.bb, libjpeg.bb,
                                    libpng.bb etc. files and include them in the bitbake tree. Would this
                                    be the right way?

                                    Thanks again

                                    Michael
                                  • yahpn
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Jul 4, 2005
                                      I also have been running at 233 MHz inside the case with the case in
                                      the vertical position. The case never felt too hot so I doubt the
                                      following is necessary, but I thought it might be hotter than it needs
                                      to be since there were no holes on top. So, I drilled some, and while
                                      I was at it, I made the pin holes on the component side of the side
                                      case wider.

                                      I made some holes wide enough to allow me to insert the thermocouple
                                      from my multimeter. The measurements show no temperature problems at
                                      all. Ambient temperatures in a couple of places inside the case and
                                      even the IXP420 case temperature (harder to measure) itself are in the
                                      40 - 49 C range. According to the datasheet ambient is allowed to be
                                      as high as 70 C.