Re: [nslu2-linux] Re: TurboSlugs: Adventures in overclocking

  • Steinar Midtskogen
    Message 1 of 46 , Jun 30, 2005
      [Øyvind Repvik]

      > Mathieu Monney wrote:
      > > Ok thank you for the fast answer and do you know until which temperature
      > > the slug can operate ?
      > >
      > > Øyvind Repvik a écrit :

      > According to some spec sheet (Don't take this for gospel), the IXP42x
      > can operate at 113 degrees Celcius (!) within the case.
      >
      > I think we have a slight margin ;-)

      What about power needs?

      Has anyone who has overclocked his slug measured any change in power
      consumption? I've done some measurements, not overclocked and not
      very accurately, and it seems to use 7W (including the power supply
      itself). The supply will deliver only 10W (5V * 2A), so if
      overclocking increases power consumptions significally, we're quickly
      close to what the power supply will manage.

      --
      Steinar ; NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI ; http://latinitas.org ; http://voksenlia.net
    • Mark Hood
      Message 46 of 46 , Jul 12, 2005
        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Rod Whitby <list.yahoo@r...>
        wrote:
        > On 7/12/05, Rob Lockhart <rlockhar@g...> wrote:
        > > I would suggest if you can't do this yourself, ask either a
        friend or
        > > someone at a nearby EE hardware lab. You can't use a blunt
        soldering
        > > iron tip to do this without risking possible damage to the pads
        and
        > > corresponding traces.
        >
        > Note that we had a choice between two resistors for this mod, and we
        > chose the one which was safest to remove with a blunt instrument.
        > There are no traces underneath or running parallel to the resistor
        in
        > question, so it would be pretty hard to damage something.

        Thanks Rod, that's good to know. I may end up doing something like
        Jason did with a snipper of some sort.

        The detailed tips from Jeff and Rob are inspiring though and much
        appreciated. I'm going to open up my slug, take a look at the task,
        and see if I'm up for a little desoldering.

        Thanks everybody!

        -- Mark