Re: [nslu2-linux] Re: TurboSlugs: Adventures in overclocking

  • Dale VanZile
    Message 1 of 46 , Jun 30, 2005
      Rod Whitby wrote:

      >My theory is that Linksys deliberately underclocked it so the product
      >sales would benefit from mid-life publicity about doubling the speed,
      >and we are all just pawns in an enlightened marketing plan :-)

      Rod--
      Funny, that was my *first* thought.... How hot could it possibly get
      with a maximum of only 10W (5V @ 2A) of power input from the power
      supply?! Heck, the output tubes in the smaller of the guitar amps I
      built are dissipating that much, and I can pull 'em out without an oven
      mitt.... :^)

      C ya,
      Dutch

      >-- Rod
      >

      >[ Moderator Note: All new information should be recorded in the Wiki at http://www.nslu2-linux.org ]
      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Mark Hood
      Message 46 of 46 , Jul 12, 2005
        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Rod Whitby <list.yahoo@r...>
        wrote:
        > On 7/12/05, Rob Lockhart <rlockhar@g...> wrote:
        > > I would suggest if you can't do this yourself, ask either a
        friend or
        > > someone at a nearby EE hardware lab. You can't use a blunt
        soldering
        > > iron tip to do this without risking possible damage to the pads
        and
        > > corresponding traces.
        >
        > Note that we had a choice between two resistors for this mod, and we
        > chose the one which was safest to remove with a blunt instrument.
        > There are no traces underneath or running parallel to the resistor
        in
        > question, so it would be pretty hard to damage something.

        Thanks Rod, that's good to know. I may end up doing something like
        Jason did with a snipper of some sort.

        The detailed tips from Jeff and Rob are inspiring though and much
        appreciated. I'm going to open up my slug, take a look at the task,
        and see if I'm up for a little desoldering.

        Thanks everybody!

        -- Mark