bootlog, fsck

  • fransmeulenbroeks
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 28, 2005
      Dear all,

      I too, have been thinking that my system would not boot any more from
      an unslung harddisk. The problem is that these problems are very hard
      to diagnose. In desktop systems you can see the log on the screen to
      learn what is going on. However on the slug this is not possible.

      My suggestion to improve things is to scribble some kind of
      bootlog.txt file in the root of the harddisk, so that after rebooting
      without disk one can examine the bootlog to see where things went
      wrong. However, I feel not confident enough to hack this into the
      kernel. (any takers?)

      Another thing I considered is placing some strategically echo
      commands (redirected to a log file) in the various diversion scripts
      so at least if an edit in a diversion script causes a failure it can
      be traced down where it is.

      While typing this one other issue came up:
      If you reboot and the previous session was terminated abnormal or
      your drive has exceeded the number of boots without fsck that are
      allowed, it is quite possible that the system will start fsck to scan
      the disk. However this will take quite a while longer than normal and
      with no indication. If this can happen perhaps we can do something
      with the lights to indicate that an fsck is going on. (E.g. can we
      make the disk light red or red/green alternating to indicate this
      condition).

      Note that I am not very proficient with my slug, so it is unlikely
      that I'm capable to make those changes on my own in the upcoming
      weeks, so if there are any other takers, be my guest.

      Happy slugging, Frans.