Re: mt-daapd

  • vax2man
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 24, 2004
      Another possible problem is the 'runas' user in the mt-daapd.conf file.
      It defaults to 'nobody'. In my case I already had 21GB of iTunes music
      files on my NSLU2 that were there for use with my Auditron. I had
      created an 'atron' user so that the Audiotron could log into the NSLU2
      and retrieve songs.

      When I first tried to fire up mt-daapd on the NSLU2 I had changed the
      mp3_dir entry in the conf file to point at /share/hdd/data/atron/Music/
      where the music files reside. I got the same error message about
      scanning for files and finding 0 files, even though it seemed to be
      scanning the correct directory.

      After a bit of head-scratching, I changed the runas user in the conf file
      to atron and restarted mt-daapd. Voila! it started scanning and finding
      files. It took over 200 seconds to find the files, but it has worked
      flawlessly since then.

      One thing that I found is a need to delete the cache file after making
      changes to the music files. I ran into a problem where mt-daapd wasn't
      properly indexing a large number of files. After playing a bit I found
      that the files that didn't index had V2.4 ID3 tags. Something that I had
      done when I was trying to get the Audiotron to see the files when they
      were on my Mac. After changing all of the ID3 tags to be V2.2 I deleted
      the files from the NSLU2 and copied the updated files from my Mac.
      When I started up mt-daapd again I found that it remembered all of the
      previous files and added in all of the new files. Deleting the cache file
      and starting mt-daapd again fixed that.

      I have been extremely pleased with mt-daapd on my NSLU2. It can
      feed songs to five Wintel PCs and three Macs without a hiccup. At the
      same time my Auditron can be playing songs from the NSLU2 without
      any interference.

      Hope this helps...

      John

      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, David Mitchell <gossiphog@y...> wrote:
      > Hi Jeremy, I suspect your problem is that the server
      > is working fine, but hasnt located any of your songs!
      > I wrestled with the same problem myself.
      >
      > First I thought it was a matter of not searching
      > subfolders, but looking at the code and reading
      > message boards, it definitely does that.
      >
      > In my case, the problem was that none of my music
      > files were world-readable, and the server was unable
      > to find them. After doing a "chmod -R ugo+r ." on the
      > shared music folder and restarting the mt-daapd
      > server, it ended up working just fine.
      >
      > It DOES however take a bit of time afterwards to load
      > all the tracks into iTunes when you click on the NSLU
      > server (I have about 25 gigs worth myself). However,
      > after that initial hit on clicking the library, it
      > works and plays beautifully.
      >
      > yours,
      > David
      >

      > --- jeremyclark_1974 <jeremyclark@h...> wrote:

      > > However, once I click on the share, it says "Loading
      > > NSLU2 iTunes
      > > Server" but never loads anything.

      > > As I had already copied over 40gigs of my MP3s to
      > > the drive.
      > > 2004-08-24 07:31:18: Registering rendezvous names
      > > 2004-08-24 07:31:18: Scanned 0 songs in 3 seconds

      > http://promotions.yahoo.com/goldrush
    • jeremyclark_1974
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 25, 2004
        Thanks for the suggestions. It was indeed related to the 'runas'
        user in the conf file; it seems this just needs to be a valid user
        with an account on the NSLU2 (mine worked when I changed it
        to 'admin').

        It works pretty well for the most part. mt-daapd didn't like a
        random number of my mp3 tracks, in the log claiming "bad MP3
        header", even though other songs encoded at the same time (via
        iTunes) in the same album are fine. They're all 2.2 ID3 tags, and
        there don't seem to be any special characters or anything that would
        cause it to get hung up that I can see. For any of such mp3 files it
        won't list them in iTunes. I noticed on the mt-daapd site the author
        aknowledges there are some issues with the id3 tags (but that would
        be different from their headers, no?).

        Performance wise I'm with you - it seems rock solid. It'll be nice
        when it supports a live update so that you don't need to restart the
        process each time you add files.

        -Jeremy

      • Jim Buzbee
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 26, 2004
          On Aug 25, 2004, at 11:01 PM, jeremyclark_1974 wrote:

          > Thanks for the suggestions. It was indeed related to the 'runas'
          > user in the conf file; it seems this just needs to be a valid user
          > with an account on the NSLU2 (mine worked when I changed it
          > to 'admin').
          >
          > It works pretty well for the most part. mt-daapd didn't like a
          > random number of my mp3 tracks, in the log claiming "bad MP3
          > header", even though other songs encoded at the same time (via
          > iTunes) in the same album are fine. They're all 2.2 ID3 tags, and
          > there don't seem to be any special characters or anything that would
          > cause it to get hung up that I can see. For any of such mp3 files it
          > won't list them in iTunes. I noticed on the mt-daapd site the author
          > aknowledges there are some issues with the id3 tags (but that would
          > be different from their headers, no?).

          Glad it worked out. I too have some tags that don't parse properly.
          I'm hoping that as the library improves these little problems will get
          fixed.

          Jim