Administrivia: New folders in the Files section and we need a catchy name

  • rwhitby
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 10, 2004
      I have created "Custom Firmware" and "Custom Tools" folders in the
      Files section and moved the existing files under those folders.

      There is only 20MB of space in the files section, so we will quickly
      need some other place to store the firmware files.

      My proposal is a SourceForge.net project. Then we can also have a
      CVS server and all the other things that come with a SourceForge
      project.

      This means we need a name for the new custom NSLU2 firmware
      distribution that we are collectively creating. Suggestions?

      We will want to quickly architect a file system hierarchy and init
      files standard (much like what has already been done by Brian and
      Jim) so we can have downloadable interoperable packages contributed
      by multiple authors. Feel free to make proposals. There is plenty
      of prior art, so we shouldn't need to create something from
      scratch ...

      -- Rod (nslu2-linux moderator)
    • Brian
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 10, 2004
        I already have a sourceforge project awaiting approval. Should be active in a day or so....

        Brian

        No banners. No pop-ups. No kidding.
      • Jim Buzbee
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 10, 2004
          On Tue, 10 Aug 2004, rwhitby wrote:

          > I have created "Custom Firmware" and "Custom Tools" folders in the
          > Files section and moved the existing files under those folders.
          >
          > There is only 20MB of space in the files section, so we will quickly
          > need some other place to store the firmware files.
          >
          > My proposal is a SourceForge.net project. Then we can also have a
          > CVS server and all the other things that come with a SourceForge
          > project.
          >
          > This means we need a name for the new custom NSLU2 firmware
          > distribution that we are collectively creating. Suggestions?
          >
          > We will want to quickly architect a file system hierarchy and init
          > files standard (much like what has already been done by Brian and
          > Jim) so we can have downloadable interoperable packages contributed
          > by multiple authors. Feel free to make proposals. There is plenty
          > of prior art, so we shouldn't need to create something from
          > scratch ...

          Brian and I differ in where we are putting new files. I created my tree
          in /share/hdd/conf and Brian went with /share/hdd/data. My reasoning was
          that I wanted to keep OS and configuration files apart from "data", but
          Brian noted that the the conf partition is not all that large.

          Jim

          > -- Rod (nslu2-linux moderator)
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          Jim Buzbee "I was gratified to be able to
          jbuzbee@... answer promptly, and I did. I
          http://batbox.org said I didn't know." Mark Twain
        • joule360
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 10, 2004
            I know that a sourceforge project is in the work, BUT if there is a
            need for a file repository space, I can provide that on my
            website...I have plenty of space available since I haven't actually
            put up a web site yet...