problem with php-apache mail command

  • blainelefebvre
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 7, 2005
      Has anyone how upgraded to version of php-apache ( ver php-apache -
      5.0.4-1 ) noticed that their mail command freezes?
      It used to work for me ( email notifications of guestbook signing ).
      My qmail and sendmail both work ok from the command line and a
      reminder program that runs as a cron job is fine so im guessing it a
      problem with libexec/libphp5.so
    • Josh Parsons
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 7, 2005
        On Tue, 7 Jun 2005, blainelefebvre wrote:

        > Has anyone how upgraded to version of php-apache ( ver php-apache -
        > 5.0.4-1 ) noticed that their mail command freezes?
        > It used to work for me ( email notifications of guestbook signing ).
        > My qmail and sendmail both work ok from the command line and a
        > reminder program that runs as a cron job is fine so im guessing it a
        > problem with libexec/libphp5.so

        Can you reproduce the problem with the commandline version of php?

        ---
        Josh Parsons
        Philosophy Department
        1238 Social Sciences and Humanities Bldg.
        University of California
        Davis, CA 95616-8673
        USA

      • blainelefebvre
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 7, 2005
          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Josh Parsons <jbparsons@u...>
          wrote:
          > On Tue, 7 Jun 2005, blainelefebvre wrote:
          >
          > > Has anyone how upgraded to version of php-apache ( ver php-
          apache -
          > > 5.0.4-1 ) noticed that their mail command freezes?
          > > It used to work for me ( email notifications of guestbook
          signing ).
          > > My qmail and sendmail both work ok from the command line and a
          > > reminder program that runs as a cron job is fine so im guessing
          it a
          > > problem with libexec/libphp5.so
          >
          > Can you reproduce the problem with the commandline version of php?
          >
          > ---
          > Josh Parsons
          > Philosophy Department
          > 1238 Social Sciences and Humanities Bldg.
          > University of California
          > Davis, CA 95616-8673
          > USA

          > See http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html

          No, my reminder system runs the /opt/bin/php .... command and that
          mails ok, only the mail() function when running as a web page
          freezes.
        • Josh Parsons
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 8, 2005
            On Wed, 8 Jun 2005, blainelefebvre wrote:

            > > > My qmail and sendmail both work ok from the command line and a
            > > > reminder program that runs as a cron job is fine so im guessing
            > > Can you reproduce the problem with the commandline version of php?
            >
            > No, my reminder system runs the /opt/bin/php .... command and that
            > mails ok, only the mail() function when running as a web page
            > freezes.

            How about running the script under php-thttpd?

            ---

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 8, 2005
              wrote:

              > > > Can you reproduce the problem with the commandline version of
              php?

              > > No, my reminder system runs the /opt/bin/php .... command and
              that
              > > mails ok, only the mail() function when running as a web page
              > > freezes.
              >
              > How about running the script under php-thttpd?
              >
              > ---
              > Josh Parsons
              > Philosophy Department
              > 1238 Social Sciences and Humanities Bldg.
              > University of California
              > Davis, CA 95616-8673
              > USA

              > See http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html

              ill give it a try

              when i run the mail command from a web page the site freezes and i
              get this in the ps list
              769 nobody Z [httpd]

              but if i enter php at the command prompt andtype
              <?php
              mail('xxx@...','hello','world');
              ?>
              the mail goes fine

              the only other thing i was trying to do recently was install cyrus-
              imap to set up web mail but it got messy so i removed the ipkg.

              thanks for your help
            • blainelefebvre
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 8, 2005
                wrote:

                > > > Can you reproduce the problem with the commandline version of
                php?

                > > No, my reminder system runs the /opt/bin/php .... command and
                that
                > > mails ok, only the mail() function when running as a web page
                > > freezes.
                >
                > How about running the script under php-thttpd?
                >
                > ---
                > Josh Parsons
                > Philosophy Department
                > 1238 Social Sciences and Humanities Bldg.
                > University of California
                > Davis, CA 95616-8673
                > USA

                > See http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html

                the test.php file runs fine and sends mail under thttpd but kills
                apache

                am i correct in assuming the thttpd uses the php executable directly?
                that would make me pretty sure its a problem with with the php-apache
                ipkg module

                maybe ill move the site over but i was trying to use apache to learn
                more about it