Re: How to open NSLU2?

  • kaloz_i
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 10, 2004
      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "paulbart1234" <paulbart@b...>
      wrote:
      > The chip has a "420" written on it, which would imply "IXP420", but
      > I think we've found that there's built-in USB 1.1 (which I *think*
      > doesn't exist on the IXP420).
      >
      > We've got both IXP420's and IXP425's at work. I'll take a look at
      > them and report back.
      >
      > My hope is that we can figure out how to hook-up a serial console -
      > there's nothing immediately obvious on the board, though.
      >
      > - Paulb

      All IXP42X has usb 1.1. So imho it's a IXP420, then.

      So it should have:

      - GPIO
      - 2 UARTs (1 console, 1 high-speed one)
      - 2 NICs

      Imre

      P.S: anyone going to do a high-resolution photo inside?
    • paulbart1234
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 10, 2004
        I'll try to do some probing of the board today. I didn't notice J2
        before - that would be a good candidate for a serial port.

        I'll take some photos after I get home from work tonight and post
        them.

        - Paulb
        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "rwhitby" <list.yahoo@r...>
        wrote:
        > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "paulbart1234" <paulbart@b...>
        > wrote:
        > > My hope is that we can figure out how to hook-up a serial
        console -
        > > there's nothing immediately obvious on the board, though.
        >
        > What's your opinion on J2 (4 pads between the flash and the RAM
        > chips) or the 6 pads to the left of the CPU (looking at the photo
        of
        > the PCB on this group's home page)?
        >
        > Can you take some hi-res digital close-up photos of both sides of
        the
        > PCB and post them in the files section?
        >
        > -- Rod
      • paulbart1234
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 10, 2004
          >> What's your opinion on J2 (4 pads between the flash and the RAM
          >> chips) or the 6 pads to the left of the CPU (looking at the photo
          >> of the PCB on this group's home page)?

          As I've since confirmed, J2 is a serial port header.

          The 6 pads to the left of the CPU are (I believe) 3 separate
          (unpopulated) sites for resistors/caps (C39/R54/C47).

          It would be nice to find a JTAG port somewhere...

          - Paulb