Re: [nslu2-linux] Re: Important message regarding the ipkg problem on Unslung firmware

  • Robert Hammond
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 2, 2005
      In message <rf84n2-446.ln1@...>, Bernhard Walle
      <Bernhard.Walle@...> writes
      >Hello,
      >
      >* Bernhard Walle [26.05.2005 18:33]:
      >> * Rod Whitby [20.05.2005 01:08]:
      >>
      >>>Someone else will shortly post a set of steps to enable anyone who has
      >>>been bitten by this problem to recover their slug to correct ipkg
      >>>operation.
      >>

      >> Does somebody here know the steps?
      >
      >I finally solved this by upgrading to the 4.20 firmware.

      Unfortunately this has not worked for my setup, still seems to be using
      /opt/lib/ipkg. I think that the folder paths for ipkg are stored in
      the ipkg-cl executable so this program file probably needs replacing.

      --
      Robert Hammond
      PGP:0x154144DA
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 3, 2005
        Hello,

        * Robert Hammond [02.06.2005 23:59]:
        > Unfortunately this has not worked for my setup, still seems to be using
        > /opt/lib/ipkg. I think that the folder paths for ipkg are stored in
        > the ipkg-cl executable so this program file probably needs replacing.

        Maybe you have still installed the ipkg package with is in $PATH before
        /usr/bin/ipkg.

        However, isn't /usr/bin/ipkg-cl part of the firmware? Send me a private
        message if I should send you my /usr/bin/ipkg-cl binary. MD5 is:

        1510135468408e55a51c268ce83ae4aa /usr/bin/ipkg-cl

        Regards,
        Bernhard
      • Robert Hammond
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 3, 2005
          In message <a2v5n2-is4.ln1@...>, Bernhard Walle
          <Bernhard.Walle@...> writes
          >Hello,
          >
          >* Robert Hammond [02.06.2005 23:59]:
          > > Unfortunately this has not worked for my setup, still seems to be using
          >> /opt/lib/ipkg. I think that the folder paths for ipkg are stored in
          >> the ipkg-cl executable so this program file probably needs replacing.
          >
          >Maybe you have still installed the ipkg package with is in $PATH before
          >/usr/bin/ipkg.
          >
          >However, isn't /usr/bin/ipkg-cl part of the firmware? Send me a private
          >message if I should send you my /usr/bin/ipkg-cl binary. MD5 is:
          >
          > 1510135468408e55a51c268ce83ae4aa /usr/bin/ipkg-cl

          Thanks for this, I should have looked through the path. The offending
          ipkg program was located in /opt/bin

          So renamed it using mv /opt/bin/ipkg /opt/bin/ipkg.old
          Then copied back my live ipkg databases using
          cp -a /opt/lib/ipkg/* /usr/lib/ipkg/

          All now is working correctly.

          --
          Robert Hammond
          PGP:0x154144DA
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 9, 2005
            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Rod Whitby <list.yahoo@r...>
            wrote:

            > Someone else will shortly post a set of steps to enable anyone who
            has
            > been bitten by this problem to recover their slug to correct ipkg
            > operation.

            Well, I'm a bit late and apologize a lot for this.
            A HowTo has been published yesterday on how to restore the original
            ipkg sub-system (located in jffs2) which has normally not been
            modified by this bad upgrade.

            The HowTo is located here :
            http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/RestoreWorkingIpkgFromJffs2
            and a link is also available in the nslu2-linux.org FAQ.

            Did I say I apologize ? Let's say it again : I'm very sorry for all
            the trouble I create and for being so late publishing this howto.

            JF