Re: [nslu2-linux] Updating PW from commandline problem

  • CORNELIU DOBAN
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 2, 2005
      --- Craig Johnson <cjohns38@...> wrote:

      > Corneliu,
      >
      > First off thanks for the reply. After reading
      > through your ideas it
      > certainly made sense and I'm sure it'll
      > work.....hehe
      >
      > I ran into a new/different problem now that makes
      > everything impossible for
      > the time being. Basically the ipkg update isn't
      > working. I've looked at the
      > wiki FAQ and it says that I either have a DNS
      > problem or am behind a proxie.
      > I'm a little stumped on this one. The NSLU2 is
      > connected to a linksys WRT54G
      > running stardard firmware version v2.04.4 . The
      > subnet on the NSLU2 is set
      > to the same subnet as the router
      > and the DNS server
      > is set to the ip of the
      > router.
      WRONG
      if NSLU is configured to use DHCP it should get it's
      IP address and DNS servers addresses from the router
      trough DHCP.
      if static IP is used. Set the DNS servers address to
      the one you router or PC is using (not to it's IP
      address)

      So I think that is set correctly. I am

      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/ChangePasswordsFromTheCommandLine

      > > > Entered: !/bin/bash - Error Returned "No Such
      > > > file or directory"
      > > > ***Note: I tried this with the drive attached
      > and
      > > > got the same error.***
      > > >
      > > > Any suggestions?
      > > follow the instructions on:
      > > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/Packages
      > > on how to install packages:
      > >
      > > # Make sure you've unslung to an external hard
      > drive
      > > or USB memory stick.
      > >
      > > # ipkg update
      > >
      > > # ipkg install unslung-feeds
      > >
      > > # ipkg update
      > >
      > > then install bash package:
      > > ipkg install bash
      > >
      > > Now the script should work
      > >
      > > goog look
      > > Corneliu
      > > >
      > > > PS – I'm working towards updating ipkg and
      > busybox
      > > > before installing
      > > > any other services. Is this the right order? I'm
      > > > also assuming I
      > > > should be updating ipkg and busybox with the
      > drive
      > > > attached…..I'm
      > > > sorta new to this whole linux, telnet,
      > commandline
      > > > stuff.
      > > >

      > > __________________________________
      > > Discover Yahoo!
      > > Find restaurants, movies, travel and more fun for
      > the weekend. Check it
      > > out!
      > > http://discover.yahoo.com/weekend.html
      > >

      > > [ Moderator Note: All new information should be
      > recorded in the Wiki at
      > > http://www.nslu2-linux.org ]
      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Craig Johnson
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 2, 2005
        I'm assuming that I need to make sure that "ipkg update" works before starting to worry about the command problem to change the password to be able to telnet into the NSLU2 with the harddrve attached.

        I double checked the settings to make sure they are correct.  Here are the settings for the NSLU2

        IP: 192.168.1.100
        Port:4849
        Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
        Gateway: 192.168.1.1

        DNS: 65.xx.xx.xxx.x

        Router:

        IP: 192.168.1.1
        Subnet:255.255.255.0

        These DNS settings should be correct.  Like I said before the ipkg.config isn't in the /etc/ folder.  If someone could help me with this I'd appreciate it.

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Robert Hammond
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 2, 2005
          In message <bfed04db05060219441740a052@...>, Craig Johnson
          <cjohns38@...> writes
          >I'm assuming that I need to make sure that "ipkg update" works before starting
          >to worry about the command problem to change the password to be able to
          >telnet into the NSLU2 with the harddrve attached.
          >
          >I double checked the settings to make sure they are correct.  Here are the
          >settings for the NSLU2
          >
          >IP: 192.168.1.100
          >Port:4849
          >Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
          >Gateway: 192.168.1.1
          >DNS: 65.xx.xx.xxx.x

          <Snip>
          Where are you reading Port:4849 from, there is no port involved.
          My settings taken from the NSLU2 web configuration page (you need to
          change these settings using this page)
          Fixed IP
          IP Address = 192.168.1.77
          Mask = 255.255.255.0
          Gateway = 192.168.1.1
          Primary DNS server = 192.168.1.1

          --
          Robert Hammond
          PGP:0x154144DA
          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 2, 2005
            I had change the Port number for HTTP (Web Browser) connections on the System tab from 80.

            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 2, 2005
              Robert - I found one thing I had wrong and got it to work. =) ipkg update now works fine and dandy - the bash install had an error tho =(

              Installing bash (2.05b-5) to root...
              Downloading http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/unslung/cross/bash_2.05b-5_armeb.ipk
              Installing ncurses (5.4-3) to root...
              Downloading http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/unslung/cross/ncurses_5.4-3_armeb.ipk
              Nothing to be done
              An error ocurred, return value: 22.
              Collected errors:
              ipkg_download: ERROR: Command failed with return value 1: `wget --passive-ftp
               -q -P /tmp/ipkg-nmoXYF http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/unslung/cross/ncurses_
              5.4-3_armeb.ipk'
              Failed to download ncurses. Perhaps you need to run 'ipkg update'?

              I ran ipkg update and tried again and it didn't work. =(

              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 3, 2005
                In message <bfed04db0506022322542cfd7@...>, Craig Johnson
                <cjohns38@...> writes
                >Robert - I found one thing I had wrong and got it to work. =) ipkg update now
                >works fine and dandy - the bash install had an error tho =(
                >
                >Installing bash (2.05b-5) to root...
                >Downloading
                >http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/unslung/cross/bash_2.05b-5_armeb.ipk
                >Installing ncurses (5.4-3) to root...
                >Downloading
                >http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/unslung/cross/ncurses_5.4-3_armeb.ipk
                >Nothing to be done
                >An error ocurred, return value: 22.
                >Collected errors:
                >ipkg_download: ERROR: Command failed with return value 1: `wget
                >--passive-ftp
                > -q -P /tmp/ipkg-nmoXYF
                >http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/unslung/cross/ncurses_
                >5.4-3_armeb.ipk'
                >Failed to download ncurses. Perhaps you need to run 'ipkg update'?
                >

                >I ran ipkg update and tried again and it didn't work. =(
                <Snip>
                I do worry that you have missed a step in the installation instruction
                file, it's critical that you follow them. There is a danger that you
                are trying to load these packages into the flash ram rather than to the
                hard disk. Do a df command (assuming that you still can) and see if
                the jffs2 partition is full. Using the mount command should show you
                which is the jffs2 partition. It should show 81% used!!

                If it shows more than this then the chances are you are trying to load
                packages into the jffs2. If this is so then 'do not logout' or 'switch
                off the slug', if you do then you will have a dead slug. You will need
                to manually delete the installed files to make some room, they will all
                be stored under /opt somewhere.

                The reason I suspect this is because you need to divert your password
                first, if you miss this then the slug will not allow you access while
                running unslung.
                The following is a list of what I think has happened.
                1. You have flashed the firmware, changed some settings in the web
                interface and followed most of the install instructions up to this
                point.
                2. You have booted with disk un-plugged and mounted the disk by hot
                plugging it in.
                3. You may have changed the passwd but have not made it permanent by
                copying it the hard disk following the Wiki instructions.
                4. You have run the unsling command as shown in the install
                instruction.

                I think that you are trying to now run the ipkg update at this point
                which is a big big no no and hence may be filling up the flash ram.

                You should have re-booted the slug at this point, I know that you
                haven't because if you had there is no way that you could have telneted
                in because the slug adopts the password file located on the disk and
                since you haven't save any changes to it, you cannot log in because no
                one knows the password stored in the default disk file, hence the need
                to change the password and save it first.

                You need to make some room in the jffs2 partition (assuming that if is
                full) then go back some steps and change the password manually. Then
                follow the remainder of the installation instructions to the letter.

                --
                Robert Hammond
                PGP:0x154144DA
                Message 7 of 20 , Jun 3, 2005
                  In message <X2amM$CcMCoCFwTn@...>, Robert Hammond
                  <rob.hammond@...> writes
> [...]
                  >4. You have run the unsling command as shown in the install
                  >instruction.
                  >
                  >I think that you are trying to now run the ipkg update at this point
                  >which is a big big no no and hence may be filling up the flash ram.
                  >
                  >You should have re-booted the slug at this point, I know that you
                  >haven't because if you had there is no way that you could have telneted
                  >in because the slug adopts the password file located on the disk and
                  >since you haven't save any changes to it, you cannot log in because no
                  >one knows the password stored in the default disk file, hence the need
                  >to change the password and save it first.
                  >
                  >You need to make some room in the jffs2 partition (assuming that if is
                  >full) then go back some steps and change the password manually. Then
                  >follow the remainder of the installation instructions to the letter.

                  Note that the /opt folder if located in the jffs2 is virtually empty, I
                  think that it should only contain a sub-folder called /opt/doc and this
                  sub-folder contains only two files, /opt/doc/NOTES and /opt/doc/README

                  You can remove files using the rm command and folders using the rmdir
                  command.

                  --
                  Robert Hammond
                  PGP:0x154144DA
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jun 3, 2005

                    Arg………… I checked the slug as you suggested and sure enough it was 93% full.  (More on that in point 4.)  =( I had tried to read up on some of this stuff before I got started so I wouldn't make that mistake too so it is rather disappointing.  Here are some things I've noticed about the documentation/wiki and where have went wrong.  One when going through the install instructions step 5 it states:

                    ***** Unsling will not change the password on your disk, so if you had

                              previously changed the password on a disk, then your password will

                              not be changed.  Also note that simply editing the /etc/passwd file

                              is not enough to permanently change a password.  See:

                         http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/ChangePasswordsFromTheCommandLine

                    Call me ignorant but having never really used linux a lot or played with embedded systems and I didn't realize there was more than 1 password.  Hence when I read that section I thought it was referring to the password used for the web interface.  I knew that password so I didn't think I needed to change it seeming I already knew it.  =( IMO this section should be stated a little differently so you know you SHOULD be changing this password and that it is separate from the normal web interface and will be used for telnet.  Note step 3 in your last email:  "You may have changed the passwd but have not made it permanent by copying it the hard disk following the Wiki instructions."  I didn't do this until I realized there was more than one password and it needed to be changed so I could log in while the harddrive was attached.  By this time I had tried to update the ipkg and was trying to figure out why ipkg update wasn't working………and why I couldn't install bash so I could run the commandline password change.  Something with this portion of the set up isn't right or I didn't so something correctly.  The install didn't install bash but bash is needed for the script to change the password which you need to do before ipkg but you can't because bash isn't installed?  This seems like a residual problem if I did this portion of the set up correctly.

                    2) I have tried to update ipkg without the drive installed.  Now while I haven't seen it listed anywhere that you shouldn't do this without the drive attached I'm beginning to think that's what was filling up the jffs2 partition.  Please correct me if I'm wrong on this one.  But if I'm right then it should be in the wiki some place….or in the install or something.

                    3) Screenshots and timing – One of the more difficult things to do is try and figure this out without knowing what it should look like or how long something should take.  When my DNS settings were wrong it would take more than 10 mins to have the ipkg update error out. Moreover I wasn't sure what it should look like if it did work.  Some simple "should take less than 10 mins" and some screen shots would be helpful.  Examples are good =)

                    4) Basic commands – Granted most people doing this are a lot more familiar with things than I am but providing some links or some basic examples of how to do things would be helpful.  For example…….I'm ok at doing some basic things in dos but have limited experience in linux.  So………while I can check to see the jffs2 partition isn't the right size……..I'm not sure how to change to that partition.  Do I type chdir /dev/mtdblock4…..nope "can't cd to /dev/mtdblock4"……/dev/mtdblock4………."Permission denied."  Etc……….so if we couple this with my comment on examples………. I'm pretty sure

                    # rmdir directoryname  - will remove Directory

                    # rm file name – will remove File name

                    But I'm not sure if I have to use the syntax form

                    rm [filenames | directory]

                    Example:
                    rm chicken.txt\dev\mtdblock4

                    More over I'm not sure how to list the dirs and the files. Nor the simple change of dirs and how it should look.  If I change to a dir will it appear as in dos? IE chdir moo  would result in \moo> _  will it appear as #/moo> _ in linux? Granted once again I SHOULD know some of these basic things before I tried some of this stuff  I know…….but now that I'm at this point if I can get some links or some help for creating some basic examples I'll add them to the wiki.  That goes for my other suggestions as well……….if someone is willing to proof read and double check things to make sure they are correct.

                    But back to the problem at hand……..I'm telneted in…..the jffs2 partition isn't the right size…..I know WHERE I need to delete files I'm just not sure how to get there, how to list the contents, and how the syntax should look to delete things.  I want to make sure I get this right. I don't wanna brick. =(

                    As always I really appreciate your help.

                  • Robert Hammond
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jun 3, 2005
                      In message <bfed04db050603085763caec48@...>, Craig Johnson
                      <cjohns38@...> writes
                      <massive snip>
                      >4) Basic commands – Granted most people doing this are a lot more familiar
                      >with things than I am but providing some links or some basic examples of how
                      >to do things would be helpful.  For example…….I'm ok at doing some basic
                      >things in dos but have limited experience in linux.  So………while I can check
                      >to see the jffs2 partition isn't the right size……..I'm not sure how to change to
                      >that partition.  Do I type chdir /dev/mtdblock4…..nope "can't cd to
                      >/dev/mtdblock4"……/dev/mtdblock4………."Permission denied."  Etc……….so
                      >if we couple this with my comment on examples………. I'm pretty sure
                      ># rmdir directoryname  - will remove Directory
                      ># rm file name – will remove File name
                      >But I'm not sure if I have to use the syntax form
                      >rm [filenames | directory]
                      >Example:
                      >rm chicken.txt\dev\mtdblock4
                      >More over I'm not sure how to list the dirs and the files. Nor the simple change
                      >of dirs and how it should look.  If I change to a dir will it appear as in dos? IE
                      >chdir moo  would result in \moo> _  will it appear as #/moo> _ in linux? Granted
                      >once again I SHOULD know some of these basic things before I tried some of
                      >this stuff  I know…….but now that I'm at this point if I can get some links or
                      >some help for creating some basic examples I'll add them to the wiki.  That
                      >goes for my other suggestions as well……….if someone is willing to proof
                      >read and double check things to make sure they are correct.
                      >But back to the problem at hand……..I'm telneted in…..the jffs2 partition isn't
                      >the right size…..I know WHERE I need to delete files I'm just not sure how to
                      >get there, how to list the contents, and how the syntax should look to delete
                      >things.  I want to make sure I get this right. I don't wanna brick. =(

                      >As always I really appreciate your help.
                      A quick list of commands that will help you are:-
                      cd / (this changes to the root directory)
                      cd /opt (this will change you to the /opt directory)
                      pwd (will display the directory path that you are currently in)
                      ls (lists the current directory content)
                      ls -l (lists the current directory content in a different form)

                      Both the rm command and rmdir command expect a full path as theer
                      argument, so if you have a file called test located in directory
                      /opt/etc then the delete command to use would be
                      rm /opt/etc/test

                      --
                      Robert Hammond
                      PGP:0x154144DA
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jun 3, 2005

                        I went through and deleted the all the other files and folders that were in the /opt/ folder.

                        I had upgraded busybox last night so I'm pretty sure all the files in there were from attempting to upgrade that.  Actually I sure as hell hope so because I deleted /opt/bin and /opt/sbin!!! Doing that just gave me a sick feeling.......  If I wasn't suppose to tell me ASAP so I can go buy something to drink….

                        All that remains is the /opt/docs/NOTES and /opt/docs/README.

                        I double checked the size of the jffs2 and it now reads 89%..........still not the 81%   =(

                        Here is the info

                        Filesystem            1k-blocks               Used            Available        Use%    Mounted ON

                        Rootfs                         6528                  5804                    724             89%  /

                        /dev/mtdblock4             6528                  5804                    724             89%   /

                        Now seeming I have FUBAR'd everything up to this point I'm not disconnecting from my telnet till I know what I should be doing next……..I have this lurking feeling I did something I shouldn't have and upon restart it's going to jump up and run away or start on fire.

                        PS – thanks for the commands list very helpful……..and after the number of times I used them I think I'm sorta familar with em even.

                        Message 11 of 20 , Jun 3, 2005
                          In message <bfed04db050603115364f49923@...>, Craig Johnson
                          <cjohns38@...> writes

                          >I went through and deleted the all the other files and folders that were in the
                          >/opt/ folder.
                          >

                          >I had upgraded busybox last night so I'm pretty sure all the files in there were
                          >from attempting to upgrade that.  Actually I sure as hell hope so because I
                          >deleted /opt/bin and /opt/sbin!!! Doing that just gave me a sick feeling.......  If I
                          >wasn't suppose to tell me ASAP so I can go buy something to drink….

                          I am reasonably sure that you are doing good things, anything is better
                          than trying to re-flash from a redboot prompt.. The untouched virgin
                          jffs2 (flash) rootfs for 4.20 can be accessed in the folder /initrd (you
                          will have this folder when you eventually unsling correctly). I am
                          basically comparing this folder structure which on my slug has limited
                          entries for ipkg (just what comes with the basic firmware) to the disk
                          folder structure which has loads of package lists and packages etc.

                          >All that remains is the /opt/docs/NOTES and /opt/docs/README.
                          >
                          >I double checked the size of the jffs2 and it now reads 89%..........still not the
                          >81%   =(

                          Seems to be coming down - note that other posts do suggest that some
                          users see differing amounts of free memory. It may be impossible to
                          get back to 81% without a re-flash. If you do eventually decide to go
                          down this route then search the news group pages first.

                          I know of another place to look for files to delete. Running 'ipkg
                          update' has down loaded the list of packages into the flash, the list
                          is quite large. You will find them under:-
                          /usr/lib/ipkg/lists
                          You can safely delete any files that you find in this folder.
                          There are other ipkg sub-olders but you need to leave these.

                          --
                          Robert Hammond
                          PGP:0x154144DA
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jun 3, 2005
                            In message <K2976EFh7KoCFwxh@...>, Robert Hammond
                            <rob.hammond@...> writes
                            >In message <bfed04db050603115364f49923@...>, Craig Johnson
                            ><cjohns38@...> writes
                            >>
                            >>I went through and deleted the all the other files and folders that
                            >>were in the
                            >>/opt/ folder.
                            >>

                            >>I had upgraded busybox last night so I'm pretty sure all the files in
                            >>there were
                            >>from attempting to upgrade that.  Actually I sure as hell hope so because I
                            >>deleted /opt/bin and /opt/sbin!!! Doing that just gave me a sick
                            >>feeling.......  If I
                            >>wasn't suppose to tell me ASAP so I can go buy something to drink….
                            >>
                            >I am reasonably sure that you are doing good things, anything is better
                            >than trying to re-flash from a redboot prompt.. The untouched virgin
                            >jffs2 (flash) rootfs for 4.20 can be accessed in the folder /initrd (you
                            >will have this folder when you eventually unsling correctly). I am
                            >basically comparing this folder structure which on my slug has limited
                            >entries for ipkg (just what comes with the basic firmware) to the disk
                            >folder structure which has loads of package lists and packages etc.
                            >
                            >>All that remains is the /opt/docs/NOTES and /opt/docs/README.
                            >>
                            >>I double checked the size of the jffs2 and it now reads
                            >>89%..........still not the
                            >>81%   =(
                            >>
                            >Seems to be coming down - note that other posts do suggest that some
                            >users see differing amounts of free memory. It may be impossible to
                            >get back to 81% without a re-flash. If you do eventually decide to go
                            >down this route then search the news group pages first.
                            >
                            >I know of another place to look for files to delete. Running 'ipkg
                            >update' has down loaded the list of packages into the flash, the list
                            >is quite large. You will find them under:-
                            >/usr/lib/ipkg/lists
                            >You can safely delete any files that you find in this folder.
                            >There are other ipkg sub-olders but you need to leave these.

                            Just thought of one more place to look.

                            If you have a folder called /usr/lib/ipkg.old then delete everything in
                            this folder.
                            I think that there is a short cut for this (untried so it may not work
                            but should do no harm)
                            rm -r /usr/lib/ipkg.old
                            or perhaps
                            rm -dr /usr/lib/ipkg.old

                            --
                            Robert Hammond
                            PGP:0x154144DA
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jun 3, 2005
                              You da man =D I deleted /usr/lib/ipkg/list/cross, /usr/lib/ipkg/list/native, /usr/lib/ipkg/list/oe, /usr/lib/ipkg/list/unslung-cross, /usr/lib/ipkg/list/unslung-native. End result 81% =)

                              Filesystem            1k-blocks               Used            Available        Use%    Mounted ON

                              Rootfs                         6528                  5316             1212             81%  /

                              /dev/mtdblock4             6528                  5316             1212            81%   /

                              NOW the question is what do I do now (URL/Step # as to not fubar again) to correctly get this unslung and working the way it is suppose too?   I'd really like to get this done the right way .....I thought I did it right the first time. =(

                              Couple other sorta simple questions

                              1) Should you or should you not "ipkg update" without the drive attached? I'm going on the assumption that the lists and code all normally save on the disk with everything is properly unslung  to avoid the problem we just fixed.
                              2) Is there anything I've done that warrents adding things to the wiki or helping to update/edit the install instructions for newbies.........or am atypical? =)
                              3) If I was to be disconnect from telnet or reset the slug right now it'll still work right? hehe IE I'm sorta out of the danger zone?

                              If you are asking yourself is he paranoid now? Yes I am.  I thought I'd done it all right  the first time.....boy was I wrong.

                              On 6/3/05, Robert Hammond <rob.hammond@...> wrote:
                              In message <bfed4db050603115364f49923@...>, Craig Johnson
                              <cjohns38@...> writes

                              Message 14 of 20 , Jun 3, 2005
                                In message <bfed04db05060312557b8a27d5@...>, Craig Johnson
                                <cjohns38@...> writes
                                >You da man =D I deleted /usr/lib/ipkg/list/cross, /usr/lib/ipkg/list/native,
                                >/usr/lib/ipkg/list/oe, /usr/lib/ipkg/list/unslung-cross,
                                >/usr/lib/ipkg/list/unslung-native. End result 81% =)
                                >
                                >Filesystem            1k-blocks               Used            Available        Use%    Mounted ON
                                >Rootfs                         6528                  5316             1212             81%  /
                                >/dev/mtdblock4             6528                  5316             1212            81%   /
                                >NOW the question is what do I do now (URL/Step # as to not fubar again) to
                                >correctly get this unslung and working the way it is suppose too?   I'd really
                                >like to get this done the right way .....I thought I did it right the first time. =(
                                >Couple other sorta simple questions
                                >1) Should you or should you not "ipkg update" without the drive attached? I'm
                                >going on the assumption that the lists and code all normally save on the disk
                                >with everything is properly unslung  to avoid the problem we just fixed.
                                Not only do you have to have the disk attached but you also need to boot
                                to the disk rootfs by re-booting the slug with disk attached and turned
                                on. But before you do this
                                1. Have you actually run the unsling script as shown in the readme
                                section 'UNSLINGING' DETAILS??

                                Probably best for you to re-do this section complete from step 1
                                onwards. You can always re-unsling at any time so suggest that you
                                re-follow this section complete.

                                Also at the relevant step suggest change the root password (if you want
                                too, most users do) by typing passwd.
                                Then copy the changed password file to disk using two commands
                                cp /etc/passwd /share/hdd/conf/passwd
                                followed by
                                cp /etc/passwd /usr/local/passwd

                                >2) Is there anything I've done that warrents adding things to the wiki or helping
                                >to update/edit the install instructions for newbies.........or am atypical? =)
                                I have added some comments earlier today to
                                <http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/SuggestedChangesToTheReadme>

                                >3) If I was to be disconnect from telnet or reset the slug right now it'll still work
                                >right? hehe IE I'm sorta out of the danger zone?
                                >If you are asking yourself is he paranoid now? Yes I am.  I thought I'd done it
                                >all right  the first time.....boy was I wrong.
                                Suggest to follow the unslinging steps 1 to 7 as above then take the
                                plunge and re-boot. At least with version 4.20 firmware you still have
                                option to boot with disk un-plugged to recover.

                                --
                                Robert Hammond
                                PGP:0x154144DA
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jun 3, 2005
                                  Before I jump into this I want to make sure I understand some things.  Here is my plan of attack as I'm already on and telneted in with no disks.

                                  1) Power up Slug - no disks - already powered up no disks
                                  2) Enable telnet - Already done
                                  3) Telnet in - root/uNSLUng - done
                                  4) I'll plug harddrive into disk1 - Note done
                                  5) In the telnet session, run "/sbin/unsling disk1"
                                      a) Password Time!
                                       #passwd
                                  What should be expecting to see here?  Will it ask me what I want to change it too? Or does it copy the "uNSLUng"   password  over to
                                  /share/hdd/conf/passwd? Or does it change both root passwords? I guess this stems from the fact that I know there are two root passwords........one internal /usr/local/passwd the other in /share/hdd/conf/passwd.  I'm not sure which one I'm changing (although I think it's the /share/hdd/passwd..) or if I'm changing both when I use the command.  When I change the password it changes /share/hdd/conf/passwd (I think) and then I copy it to the disk with cp /etc/passwd /share/hdd/conf/passwd and cp /etc/passwd /usr/local/passwd.......and according to the wiki (http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Main/FAQ#faq7 )

                                  The NSLU2 keeps multiple copies of /etc/passwd. You may also need to change the copies in /usr/local and /share/*/conf/.

                                  1: /share/hdd/conf/usr/local/passwd
                                  /share/hdd/conf/passwd
                                  /share/flash/conf/passwd
                                  /share/flash/conf/usr/local/passwd
                                  2: /share/hdd/conf/etc/passwd -> /share/hdd/conf/passwd
                                  /share/flash/conf/etc/passwd -> /share/hdd/conf/passwd
                                  3: /usr/local/etc/passwd

                                  Marked with 1 are the locations you should check and edit.
                                  Marked with 2 are links only.

                                  So does that mean it is changing one, copying it to the disk in two places? When the wiki says it may need to be changed in 4?

                                • Craig Johnson