Re: 4.20 and disk power down

  • pTweety
    Message 1 of 21 , Jun 2, 2005
      Robert Hammond wrote:

      > Thanks, I now have the two scripts, rc.sysinit seems to have the
      > relevant ram disk scripts.

      I'm also interested in this. Can you please create a wiki pages which
      documents your steps?

      --
      MFG Matthias

      Oh, well, I guess this is just going to be one of those lifetimes.
    • Robert Hammond
      Message 2 of 21 , Jun 2, 2005
        In message <168038247.20050602203259@...>, Matthias Appel
        <lists@...> writes
        >Robert Hammond wrote:
        >
        >> Thanks, I now have the two scripts, rc.sysinit seems to have the
        >> relevant ram disk scripts.
        >
        >I'm also interested in this. Can you please create a wiki pages which
        >documents your steps?

        I have generated an /unslung/rc.sysinit script file but it seems not to
        work as expected. Also had little time to sort this due to sick child
        in the house (now on the mend).

        The script section that I am using is basically unchanged from that used
        in 3.18 so sets up a small ram disk for /var and /dev. Something is
        failing here, a df command indicates that both /var or /dev are still
        running from hard disk!!. I am sure that this is because the ram disks
        are being cancelled in some way because /var and /dev also both exist in
        the existing disk tree structure as standard folders.

        Some advice is needed if possible

        What should I do with the existing /var /var.state /dev /dev.state
        folders in the disk tree??

        My gut feeling here is just to delete them all (booting to jffs2 and
        deleting through /mnt/sda1/) followed by a re-boot but I am not too sure
        of the outcome of this and would rather not rash my slug.

        Also not too sure of the function of /var.state and /dev.state.

        --
        Robert Hammond
        PGP:0x154144DA
        Message 3 of 21 , Jun 3, 2005
          In message <168038247.20050602203259@...>, Matthias Appel
          <lists@...> writes
          >Robert Hammond wrote:
          >
          >> Thanks, I now have the two scripts, rc.sysinit seems to have the
          >> relevant ram disk scripts.
          >
          >I'm also interested in this. Can you please create a wiki pages which
          >documents your steps?

          I am posting a working script here first for others to try, my
          intention is to post to the wiki in a few days if all is well.

          Instructions-

          Copy the following script section into a new file called rc.sysinit,
          you need to locate this file in the /unslung folder located on the disk
          drive and not the one located in the flash ram. To locate the correct
          folder does depend if you are running off of the hd rootfs or not. The
          best way to guarantee the correct unslung folder is to follow
          /mnt/sda1/unslung (note - may be sda2 depending upon USB socket used for
          disk drive).
          chmod the file with permissions 755.

          #!/bin/sh
          # Intended for unslung firmware 4.x only
          # Script section to create ramdisk for /var
          mkdir -p /var/lock/samba >/dev/null

          /bin/echo "Creating ramfs for /var:"
          /bin/mount -t ramfs ramfs /mnt/tmpmnt -o maxsize=256
          /bin/cp -rp /var/* /mnt/tmpmnt/
          /bin/mkdir -p /var.state
          /bin/mount -o bind /var /var.state
          /bin/mount -o bind /mnt/tmpmnt /var
          /bin/umount /mnt/tmpmnt
          /bin/killall syslogd
          /bin/killall klogd

          # Return and continue execution of system rc.sysinit
          return 1
          # [EOF]

          Re-boot your slug

          Interestingly this ram disk does not show up when using the df command,
          but does show when using the mount command. The slug disk drive does
          seem to power down for extended periods so does seem to be working.

          --
          Robert Hammond
          PGP:0x154144DA
          Message 4 of 21 , Jun 3, 2005
            In message <gEdR28BifJoCFwGY@...>, Robert Hammond
            <rob.hammond@...> writes
            >In message <168038247.20050602203259@...>, Matthias Appel
            ><lists@...> writes
            >>Robert Hammond wrote:
            >>
            >>> Thanks, I now have the two scripts, rc.sysinit seems to have the
            >>> relevant ram disk scripts.
            >>
            >>I'm also interested in this. Can you please create a wiki pages which
            >>documents your steps?
            >>
            >I am posting a working script here first for others to try, my
            >intention is to post to the wiki in a few days if all is well.
            >
            >Instructions-
            >
            >Copy the following script section into a new file called rc.sysinit,
            >you need to locate this file in the /unslung folder located on the disk
            >drive and not the one located in the flash ram. To locate the correct
            >folder does depend if you are running off of the hd rootfs or not. The
            >best way to guarantee the correct unslung folder is to follow
            >/mnt/sda1/unslung (note - may be sda2 depending upon USB socket used for
            >disk drive).
            >chmod the file with permissions 755.
            >

            >#!/bin/sh
            ># Intended for unslung firmware 4.x only
            ># Script section to create ramdisk for /var
            >mkdir -p /var/lock/samba >/dev/null
            >
            >/bin/echo "Creating ramfs for /var:"
            >/bin/mount -t ramfs ramfs /mnt/tmpmnt -o maxsize=256
            >/bin/cp -rp /var/* /mnt/tmpmnt/
            >/bin/mkdir -p /var.state
            >/bin/mount -o bind /var /var.state
            >/bin/mount -o bind /mnt/tmpmnt /var
            >/bin/umount /mnt/tmpmnt
            >/bin/killall syslogd
            >/bin/killall klogd
            >
            ># Return and continue execution of system rc.sysinit
            >return 1
            ># [EOF]
            >

            >Re-boot your slug
            >
            >Interestingly this ram disk does not show up when using the df command,
            >but does show when using the mount command. The slug disk drive does
            >seem to power down for extended periods so does seem to be working.

            Note that this does not work correctly, I just noticed that my disk
            shares in Windows are missing when this script section is loaded. Have
            now removed it.

            --
            Robert Hammond
            PGP:0x154144DA
            Message 5 of 21 , Jun 5, 2005
              In message <MWY6iRB34LoCFwCa@...>, Robert Hammond
              <rob.hammond@...> writes
              >In message <gEdR28BifJoCFwGY@...>, Robert Hammond
              ><rob.hammond@...> writes
              >>In message <168038247.20050602203259@...>, Matthias Appel
              >><lists@...> writes

              >>>I'm also interested in this. Can you please create a wiki pages which
              >>>documents your steps?
              >>>
              >>I am posting a working script here first for others to try, my
              >>intention is to post to the wiki in a few days if all is well.
              >>
              >>Instructions-
              >>
              >>Copy the following script section into a new file called rc.sysinit,
              >>you need to locate this file in the /unslung folder located on the disk
              >>drive and not the one located in the flash ram. To locate the correct
              >>folder does depend if you are running off of the hd rootfs or not. The
              >>best way to guarantee the correct unslung folder is to follow
              >>/mnt/sda1/unslung (note - may be sda2 depending upon USB socket used for
              >>disk drive).
              >>chmod the file with permissions 755.
              >>

              >>#!/bin/sh
              >># Intended for unslung firmware 4.x only
              >># Script section to create ramdisk for /var
              >>mkdir -p /var/lock/samba >/dev/null
              >>
              >>/bin/echo "Creating ramfs for /var:"
              >>/bin/mount -t ramfs ramfs /mnt/tmpmnt -o maxsize=256
              >>/bin/cp -rp /var/* /mnt/tmpmnt/
              >>/bin/mkdir -p /var.state
              >>/bin/mount -o bind /var /var.state
              >>/bin/mount -o bind /mnt/tmpmnt /var
              >>/bin/umount /mnt/tmpmnt
              >>/bin/killall syslogd
              >>/bin/killall klogd
              >>
              >># Return and continue execution of system rc.sysinit
              >>return 1
              >># [EOF]
              >>

              >>Re-boot your slug
              >>
              >>Interestingly this ram disk does not show up when using the df command,
              >>but does show when using the mount command. The slug disk drive does
              >>seem to power down for extended periods so does seem to be working.
              >>

              >Note that this does not work correctly, I just noticed that my disk
              >shares in Windows are missing when this script section is loaded. Have
              >now removed it.

              I do have one more important observation - when using the above script,
              the conf partition on /dev/sda2 either never mounts or is somehow
              unmounted. The side effect of this is the dreaded disk un-formated
              message in the web interface and hence all of the disk shares failing.
              Luckily removing the script will recover from this.

              Creating a ram disk for /var using an /unslung script may be impossible
              with firmware 4.20 so could be better serviced at the slingbox stage in
              a later firmware release.

              Unfortunately the reason why this script section fails to work correctly
              is beyond my knowledge so perhaps another user who wants reliable disk
              spin down could take on this project.

              --
              Robert Hammond
              PGP:0x154144DA
              Message 6 of 21 , Jun 6, 2005
                Would it be possible to put /var on a Linux-formatted
                USB thumb drive on the Drive 1 port and then put your
                spin-downable drive with all your other data on the
                Drive 2 port? Just a random thought ...

                Nathan

                --- Robert Hammond <rob.hammond@...> wrote:

                ---------------------------------
> [...]
                section is loaded. Have
                >now removed it.

                I do have one more important observation - when using
                the above script,
                the conf partition on /dev/sda2 either never mounts or
                is somehow
                unmounted. The side effect of this is the dreaded disk
                un-formated
                message in the web interface and hence all of the disk
                shares failing.
                Luckily removing the script will recover from this.

                Creating a ram disk for /var using an /unslung script
                may be impossible
                with firmware 4.20 so could be better serviced at the
                slingbox stage in
                a later firmware release.

                Unfortunately the reason why this script section fails
                to work correctly
                is beyond my knowledge so perhaps another user who

                [ Moderator Note: All new information should be
                recorded in the Wiki at http://www.nslu2-linux.org ]

                Terms of Service.

                __________________________________
                Discover Yahoo!
                http://discover.yahoo.com/mobile.html
              • Robert Hammond
                Message 7 of 21 , Jun 6, 2005
                  In message <20050606173259.65445.qmail@...>, Nathan
                  Ellsworth <nathan@...> writes
                  >Would it be possible to put /var on a Linux-formatted
                  >USB thumb drive on the Drive 1 port and then put your
                  >spin-downable drive with all your other data on the
                  >Drive 2 port? Just a random thought ...

                  I have been thinking along the same lines but have little knowledge of
                  file systems located on a ram stick, my understanding is that the stick
                  would be formatted as vfat which could cause unpredictable problems for
                  a system folder.

                  Strange how a couple of days away can generate a solution to getting the
                  ram disk working.

                  I have been working backwards through the boot sequence contained in
                  rc.sysinit and rc.1 and have discovered that the earliest that I seem to
                  be able to create a working ram disk using a slightly modified script
                  with out any noticeable bad effects is at rc.bootbin :)

                  The next earlier script step is rc.1 its self, the script will fail if
                  booting this early :(

                  Very strange because it should boot before this, most probable reason
                  is that there does seem to be some strange script lines early in the
                  rc.1 file in 4.20 which can un-mount /dev/sda2 under certain
                  circumstances so could be some sort of conflict here.

                  I just need to test for another night or two so hope to post up a
                  working beta script some time over the next couple of days, followed by
                  a wiki page some days later.

                  Do note that some packages use the disk folder /opt/var rather than /var
                  for there log files (I think that samba3 is configured this way) so some
                  package.conf files made need attention for reliable disk spin down.

                  --
                  Robert Hammond
                  PGP:0x154144DA
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jun 7, 2005
                    At last a working script for others to try.

                    Short form Instruction (requires moderate slug knowledge) : -

                    Copy the following script section into a new file called rc.bootbin
                    using a unix style text editor, you need to locate this file in the
                    /unslung folder located on the disk drive and not the folder located in
                    the flash ram. To locate the correct folder does depend if you are
                    running off of the hd rootfs or not. The best way to guarantee the
                    correct unslung folder is to follow /mnt/sda1/unslung (note - may be
                    sda2 depending upon USB socket used for disk drive).
                    chmod the file with permissions 755.

                    #!/bin/sh
                    # /unslung/rc.bootbin

                    Message 9 of 21 , Jun 7, 2005
                      On 6/8/05, Robert Hammond <rob.hammond@...> wrote:
                      > The best way to guarantee the
                      > correct unslung folder is to follow /mnt/sda1/unslung (note - may be
                      > sda2 depending upon USB socket used for disk drive).

                      Actually, it would be sda2 if you unslung to the conf partition
                      instead of the data partition. It would be sdb1 or sdb2 if you used
                      the disk2 port instead of the disk1 port.

                      -- Rod
                    • mpmarks2000
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jun 15, 2005
                        Thanks so much for working on this Robert. I don't really want to use
                        NSLU2 on a 24/7 basis unless I can get those drives to sleep somehow.
                        large capacity 7200 RPM drives get very hot and sweaty if they are
                        spinning in little boxes 24/7 - they wear out fast and make my
                        computer area hot too.

                        I have followed your instructions but I have yet to see my One Touch
                        go to sleep. Looking at /proc/mounts I can see that /var is on a
                        ramfs. But df shows /var still on the disk? So I'm a bit confused if
                        the script executed properly. Otherwise everything is working
                        normally. If I power the NSLU2 down the One Touch drives go to sleep
                        on time, but never if the Slug is awake.

                        I have a couple of questions for you.
                        1) How did you discover what processes were accessing the disk?
                        2) The script echos a note when it executes but I don't see the
                        message in /var/log/messages - is that simply because of timing or is
                        there a log entry somewhere that I missed?
                        3) Do you have other suggestions on how I can troubleshoot the
                        problem?

                        thanks!
                        /maurice

                        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Robert Hammond <rob.hammond@n...>
                        wrote:
                        > At last a working script for others to try.
                        >

                        > Short form Instruction (requires moderate slug knowledge) : -
                        >
                        > Copy the following script section into a new file called rc.bootbin
                        > using a unix style text editor, you need to locate this file in the
                        > /unslung folder located on the disk drive and not the folder
                        located in
                        > the flash ram. To locate the correct folder does depend if you
                        are
                        > running off of the hd rootfs or not. The best way to guarantee
                        the
                        > correct unslung folder is to follow /mnt/sda1/unslung (note - may
                        be
                        > sda2 depending upon USB socket used for disk drive).
                        > chmod the file with permissions 755.
                        >
                        > #!/bin/sh
                        > # /unslung/rc.bootbin
                        > # Intended for unslung firmware 4.x only
                        > # Script section to create ramdisk for /var
                        >
                        > /bin/echo "Creating ramfs for /var:"

                        > /bin/mount -t ramfs ramfs /mnt/tmpmnt -o maxsize=256
                        > /bin/cp -rp /var/* /mnt/tmpmnt/
                        > /bin/mkdir -p /var.state
                        > /bin/mount -o bind /var /var.state
                        > /bin/mount -o bind /mnt/tmpmnt /var
                        > /bin/umount /mnt/tmpmnt
                        >
                        > # Return and continue execution of system rc.
                        > return 1
                        > # [EOF]
                        >

                        > --
                        > Robert Hammond
                        > PGP:0x154144DA
                      • mpmarks2000
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jun 16, 2005
                          An update. The script does work! My drive eventually went to sleep.
                          Its not clear to me what Unslung is doing that keeps the drive active
                          but eventually it went to sleep. Possibly the failure of a backup job.

                          So for my penance I added Robert's instructions to the Wiki as an
                          update to the "how to set the timeout on One Touch drives". I'm still
                          searching for a solution on how to put NON One Touch USB 2.0 drives to
                          sleep from Linux.

                          Thanks again Robert.
                          /maurice

                          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "mpmarks2000" <marks@s...> wrote:
                          > Thanks so much for working on this Robert. I don't really want to use
                          > NSLU2 on a 24/7 basis unless I can get those drives to sleep somehow.
                          > large capacity 7200 RPM drives get very hot and sweaty if they are
                          > spinning in little boxes 24/7 - they wear out fast and make my
                          > computer area hot too.
                          >
                          > I have followed your instructions but I have yet to see my One Touch
                          > go to sleep. Looking at /proc/mounts I can see that /var is on a
                          > ramfs. But df shows /var still on the disk? So I'm a bit confused if
                          > the script executed properly. Otherwise everything is working
                          > normally. If I power the NSLU2 down the One Touch drives go to sleep
                          > on time, but never if the Slug is awake.
                          >
                          > I have a couple of questions for you.
                          > 1) How did you discover what processes were accessing the disk?
                          > 2) The script echos a note when it executes but I don't see the
                          > message in /var/log/messages - is that simply because of timing or is
                          > there a log entry somewhere that I missed?
                          > 3) Do you have other suggestions on how I can troubleshoot the
                          > problem?
                          >
                          > thanks!
                          > /maurice

                          <some omitted>
                          > > PGP:0x154144DA
                        • Robert Hammond
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jun 16, 2005
                            In message <d8rvj3+lusp@...>, mpmarks2000 <marks@...>
                            writes
                            >An update. The script does work! My drive eventually went to sleep.
                            >Its not clear to me what Unslung is doing that keeps the drive active
                            >but eventually it went to sleep. Possibly the failure of a backup job.
                            >
                            >So for my penance I added Robert's instructions to the Wiki as an
                            >update to the "how to set the timeout on One Touch drives". I'm still
                            >searching for a solution on how to put NON One Touch USB 2.0 drives to
                            >sleep from Linux.
                            >
                            >/maurice

                            Thanks for adding it to the Wiki page, I have been meaning to do this
                            for some time. Note that I have slightly changed and reformatted the
                            Wiki page mainly so that cut and paste will work better with the script
                            section.

                            I have my disk set to power down on the minimum time setting, 5 minutes
                            I think. Drive does still spin up always at midnight perhaps to check
                            out any cron jobs, also spins up at other times for unknown reasons but
                            does seem to sleep most of the time.

                            --
                            Robert Hammond
                            PGP:0x154144DA
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jul 12, 2005
                              I'm actually running 5.5 now, but I was trying to track down why sda1
                              was active sometimes and why free memory kept disappearing and I found
                              a problem with the Samba config. Robert's rc.bootbin script puts /var
                              in a ramfs (in memory). This is supposed to be limited to 256K but
                              others have suggested that the ramfs memory limit is ignored, so more
                              memory could be actually used.

                              I noticed that the samba log file (in /var/log/samba/log.smbd) kept
                              growing as the disks were accessed because of an error in the
                              /etc/smb.conf. It contains the line 'username map = no' and tries to
                              open a file called 'no' every time the samba disks are accessed. So
                              the log keeps growing and growing because the file doesn't exist.
                              Commenting out that line in /etc/samba doesnt work because its
                              recreated on reboot. So I searched for all of the smb.conf files and
                              changed them all. Lo and behold on reboot the line was gone and no
                              more errors were logged. Free memory still seems to decrease (more
                              slowly), but at least one problem is solved. I hope that this fixed in
                              the next beta by removing the line or pointing usname map to the right
                              file.

                              wrote:
                              > In message <d8rvj3+lusp@e...>, mpmarks2000 <marks@s...>
                              > writes
                              > >An update. The script does work! My drive eventually went to sleep.
                              > >Its not clear to me what Unslung is doing that keeps the drive active
                              > >but eventually it went to sleep. Possibly the failure of a backup job.
                              > >
                              > >So for my penance I added Robert's instructions to the Wiki as an
                              > >update to the "how to set the timeout on One Touch drives". I'm still
                              > >searching for a solution on how to put NON One Touch USB 2.0 drives to
                              > >sleep from Linux.
                              > >
                              > >/maurice
                              > >
                              > Thanks for adding it to the Wiki page, I have been meaning to do this
                              > for some time. Note that I have slightly changed and reformatted the
                              > Wiki page mainly so that cut and paste will work better with the script
                              > section.
                              >
                              > I have my disk set to power down on the minimum time setting, 5
                              minutes
                              > I think. Drive does still spin up always at midnight perhaps to check
                              > out any cron jobs, also spins up at other times for unknown reasons
                              but
                              > does seem to sleep most of the time.
                              >
                              > --
                              > Robert Hammond
                              > PGP:0x154144DA
                            • Robert Hammond
                              Message 14 of 21 , Jul 13, 2005
                                In message <db0m73+hmlp@...>, mpmarks2000 <marks@...>
                                writes
                                <snip>

                                >I noticed that the samba log file (in /var/log/samba/log.smbd) kept
                                >growing as the disks were accessed because of an error in the
                                >/etc/smb.conf. It contains the line 'username map = no' and tries to
                                >open a file called 'no' every time the samba disks are accessed. So
                                >the log keeps growing and growing because the file doesn't exist.
                                >Commenting out that line in /etc/samba doesnt work because its
                                >recreated on reboot. So I searched for all of the smb.conf files and
                                >changed them all. Lo and behold on reboot the line was gone and no
                                >more errors were logged. Free memory still seems to decrease (more
                                >slowly), but at least one problem is solved. I hope that this fixed in
                                >the next beta by removing the line or pointing usname map to the right
                                >file.

                                I also see this error, I already have a small rc.samba diversion script
                                so will attempt a small script section to remove this line (should be
                                quite easy) perhaps using the sed script command. If it works I will
                                add it to the FAQ Wiki section.

                                Note that I also have strange event entries in my
                                /var/log/samba/log.nmbd log file.

                                I am also running the /var folder in ram but must admit have not seen
                                any reduction in free memory but will start to monitor it from today.
                                I would have thought that the most likely culprit is a misbehaved
                                package.

                                Also not that I was under the impression (not too sure where from) that
                                the Linksys firmware is configured with a cron job that periodically
                                clears the log files from the /var folder.
                                --
                                Robert Hammond
                                PGP:0x154144DA
                                Message 15 of 21 , Jul 13, 2005
                                  In message <AxmwliEz6X1CFwoF@...>, Robert Hammond
                                  <rob.hammond@...> writes
                                  >In message <db0m73+hmlp@...>, mpmarks2000 <marks@...>
                                  >writes
                                  ><snip>
                                  >>
                                  >>I noticed that the samba log file (in /var/log/samba/log.smbd) kept
                                  >>growing as the disks were accessed because of an error in the
                                  >>/etc/smb.conf. It contains the line 'username map = no' and tries to
                                  >>open a file called 'no' every time the samba disks are accessed. So
                                  >>the log keeps growing and growing because the file doesn't exist.
                                  >>Commenting out that line in /etc/samba doesnt work because its
                                  >>recreated on reboot. So I searched for all of the smb.conf files and
                                  >>changed them all. Lo and behold on reboot the line was gone and no
                                  >>more errors were logged. Free memory still seems to decrease (more
                                  >>slowly), but at least one problem is solved. I hope that this fixed in
                                  >>the next beta by removing the line or pointing usname map to the right
                                  >>file.
                                  >>
                                  >I also see this error, I already have a small rc.samba diversion script
                                  >so will attempt a small script section to remove this line (should be
                                  >quite easy) perhaps using the sed script command. If it works I will
                                  >add it to the FAQ Wiki section.
                                  >

                                  >Note that I also have strange event entries in my
                                  >/var/log/samba/log.nmbd log file.
                                  >
                                  >I am also running the /var folder in ram but must admit have not seen
                                  >any reduction in free memory but will start to monitor it from today.
                                  >I would have thought that the most likely culprit is a misbehaved
                                  >package.
                                  >
                                  >Also not that I was under the impression (not too sure where from) that
                                  >the Linksys firmware is configured with a cron job that periodically
                                  >clears the log files from the /var folder.

                                  I have a tested script section for this, it needs to be combined into a
                                  working rc.samba text file such as the one on the Wiki at :-

                                  <http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/EnableWinsServer>

                                  The simple script section pasted below will search for the text
                                  username map = no
                                  if present will delete that line.

                                  sed -i -e '/username map \= no/d' /etc/samba/smb.conf

                                  --
                                  Robert Hammond
                                  PGP:0x154144DA
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jul 13, 2005
                                    Robert, what I was noticing was that the buffer memory+free memory
                                    dropped from 10M after a clean reboot to 1.5MB 24 hrs later. The
                                    probable cause is that there are 2 more smbds running, making 4 total!
                                    At about 4MB each that accounts for the memory loss. I wish I knew why
                                    they were started.

                                    wrote:
                                    > In message <AxmwliEz6X1CFwoF@n...>, Robert Hammond
                                    > <rob.hammond@n...> writes
                                    > >In message <db0m73+hmlp@e...>, mpmarks2000 <marks@s...>
                                    > >writes
                                    > ><snip>
                                    > >>
                                    > >>I noticed that the samba log file (in /var/log/samba/log.smbd) kept
                                    > >>growing as the disks were accessed because of an error in the
                                    > >>/etc/smb.conf. It contains the line 'username map = no' and tries to
                                    > >>open a file called 'no' every time the samba disks are accessed. So
                                    > >>the log keeps growing and growing because the file doesn't exist.
                                    > >>Commenting out that line in /etc/samba doesnt work because its
                                    > >>recreated on reboot. So I searched for all of the smb.conf files and
                                    > >>changed them all. Lo and behold on reboot the line was gone and no
                                    > >>more errors were logged. Free memory still seems to decrease (more
                                    > >>slowly), but at least one problem is solved. I hope that this fixed in
                                    > >>the next beta by removing the line or pointing usname map to the right
                                    > >>file.
                                    > >>
                                    > >I also see this error, I already have a small rc.samba diversion
                                    script
                                    > >so will attempt a small script section to remove this line (should be
                                    > >quite easy) perhaps using the sed script command. If it works I will
                                    > >add it to the FAQ Wiki section.
                                    > >

                                    > >Note that I also have strange event entries in my
                                    > >/var/log/samba/log.nmbd log file.
                                    > >
                                    > >I am also running the /var folder in ram but must admit have not seen
                                    > >any reduction in free memory but will start to monitor it from today.
                                    > >I would have thought that the most likely culprit is a misbehaved
                                    > >package.
                                    > >
                                    > >Also not that I was under the impression (not too sure where from) that
                                    > >the Linksys firmware is configured with a cron job that periodically
                                    > >clears the log files from the /var folder.
                                    >
                                    > I have a tested script section for this, it needs to be combined
                                    into a
                                    > working rc.samba text file such as the one on the Wiki at :-
                                    >
                                    > <http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/EnableWinsServer>
                                    >
                                    > The simple script section pasted below will search for the text
                                    > username map = no
                                    > if present will delete that line.
                                    >

                                    > sed -i -e '/username map \= no/d' /etc/samba/smb.conf
                                    >

                                    > --
                                    > Robert Hammond
                                    > PGP:0x154144DA
                                  • Robert Hammond
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jul 14, 2005
                                      In message <db4c8s+g40o@...>, mpmarks2000 <marks@...>
                                      writes
                                      >Robert, what I was noticing was that the buffer memory+free memory
                                      >dropped from 10M after a clean reboot to 1.5MB 24 hrs later. The
                                      >probable cause is that there are 2 more smbds running, making 4 total!
                                      >At about 4MB each that accounts for the memory loss. I wish I knew why
                                      >they were started.

                                      I seem to remember a post some where inferring that if you disable the
                                      UPNP support in the Web interface under Administration/System then it
                                      will remove two of the running smbds.
                                      --
                                      Robert Hammond
                                      PGP:0x154144DA