Re: [nslu2-linux] 4.20 problems with NANO and JOE

  • Rick DeNatale
    Message 1 of 9 , May 29, 2005
      You do have the proper execution permissions set for them don't you

      chmod a+x /bin/nano

      or wherever you have nano installed

      On 5/29/05, turbocharged_5 <Turbocharged5@...> wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > I've been busy lately but finally got around to upgrading from 3. to 4.20.
      >
      > Everything has gone very well except!
      >
      > NANO and JOE will not work. They install ok, but they are just not
      > recognised commands?
      >
      > I even change to the folder where I located them with the find command
      > and tried to execute them from there with no success.
      >
      > Any ideas?
      >
      > Without editors I'm a bit restricted as to what I can do :(
      >
      > Cheers,
      > Shaun
      >

      > [ Moderator Note: All new information should be recorded in the Wiki at
      > http://www.nslu2-linux.org ]

    • Josh Parsons
      Message 2 of 9 , May 30, 2005
        On Sun, 2005-05-29 at 22:11 +0000, turbocharged_5 wrote:

        > NANO and JOE will not work. They install ok, but they are just not
        > recognised commands?

        Does /opt/bin/joe exist on your system? If so, what exactly happens when
        you run "/opt/bin/joe"?

        --
        Josh Parsons
        Philosophy Department

      • turbocharged_5
        Message 3 of 9 , May 30, 2005
          I'd rather go back to MSDOS and start using 'edlin' again.

          ;)

          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald L. Clark"
          <gerald_clark@m...> wrote:
          > turbocharged_5 wrote:
          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > I've been busy lately but finally got around to upgrading from 3.
          to 4.20.

          > > Everything has gone very well except!
          > >
          > > NANO and JOE will not work. They install ok, but they are just not
          > > recognised commands?
          > >
          > > I even change to the folder where I located them with the find command
          > > and tried to execute them from there with no success.
          > >
          > > Any ideas?
          > >
          > > Without editors I'm a bit restricted as to what I can do :(
          > >
          > > Cheers,
          > > Shaun
          > >

          > You always have vi.
          >

          > --
          > nslu-linux - glc
        • turbocharged_5
          Message 4 of 9 , May 30, 2005
            Both nano and joe exist in the /opt/bin directory, is this correct?

            If I try and execute either from root then I get the message "No such
            file or directory" suggesting that the path is not set up correctly.

            Sure enough, if I execute:

            #echo $PATH
            /sbin:/bin/:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin

            No sign of /opt/bin. Does this need fixing?

            Even so if I execute the command directly...

            #/opt/bin/nano
            Error opening terminal: unknown.
            #/opt/bin/joe
            Couldn't load termcap/terminfo entry

            Whats this all about? :(

            Cheers,
            Shaun

            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Rick DeNatale <rick.denatale@g...>
            wrote:
            > You do have the proper execution permissions set for them don't you
            >
            > chmod a+x /bin/nano
            >
            > or wherever you have nano installed
            >
            > On 5/29/05, turbocharged_5 <Turbocharged5@h...> wrote:
            > > Hi,
            > >
            > > I've been busy lately but finally got around to upgrading from 3.
            to 4.20.

            > > Everything has gone very well except!
            > >
            > > NANO and JOE will not work. They install ok, but they are just not
            > > recognised commands?
            > >
            > > I even change to the folder where I located them with the find
            command
            > > and tried to execute them from there with no success.
            > >
            > > Any ideas?
            > >
            > > Without editors I'm a bit restricted as to what I can do :(
            > >
            > > Cheers,
            > > Shaun
            > >

            > > [ Moderator Note: All new information should be recorded in the
            Wiki at
            > > http://www.nslu2-linux.org ]

          • Kai Steinbach
            Message 5 of 9 , May 30, 2005
              Hello turbocharged_5,

              On 30/05/05, you wrote:
              > #/opt/bin/nano
              > Error opening terminal: unknown.
              > #/opt/bin/joe
              > Couldn't load termcap/terminfo entry

              I used the error message you provided in the wiki search and found this:
              http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/Nano
              Seems like setting terminfo/term might help both apps to operate ...

              /etc/profile or your user's .profile are probably the places where you
              can sort out the path, too.

              HTH - Kai
            • Kai Steinbach
              Message 6 of 9 , May 30, 2005
                Hello turbocharged_5,

                On 30/05/05, you wrote:
                > I'd rather go back to MSDOS and start using 'edlin' again.
                >
                > ;)

                Yeah, right. ;-)
                No need to go back to acient OS's ... note that edlin is still pretty
                much present on more recent releases of the same company, too. It
                surely has its fans. :)

                I trust that for your changes to ~/.profile or /etc/profile you will
                be able to use nano or joe in a session where you did set the env
                variables as a one-off manually, right? If not, maybe 'cat >file' will
                do you well ...

                Oh, one other advice, if I may: I generally find that some senior
                people in internet development communities prefer to not respond to
                mail threads with top-posting. I can recommend inline replies and
                trimming the quoted text to what's really required. That makes sure I
                don't exclude anyone from being able to help me efficiently. I'd be
                glad if this works for you, too. Thank you so much, it will be
                appreciated.

                Regards - Kai
              • turbocharged_5
                Message 7 of 9 , May 31, 2005
                  Thanx Kai! :)

                  I'll head on over to the wiki tonight after work and sort it :)

                  --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Kai Steinbach <kai.steinbach@g...>