Posted in file section missing libmpr.so for use by appWeb

  • tivo_vidcap
    Message 1 of 6 , May 29, 2005
      Tested on NSLU2 Unslung 4.20 with appWeb 1.2.3-5,
      enables use of httpClient and httpPassword.

      Should work with previous appWeb versions as well.

      Place in /opt/lib

      Regards,

      tivo_vidcap
      Message 2 of 6 , May 29, 2005
        tivo_vidcap,

        We tend to discourage the upload of binaries without accompanying
        source code and build instructions.

        How did you build this executable? Can we fold those build
        instructions back into the appWeb package itself ?

        -- Rod

        On 5/30/05, tivo_vidcap <tivo_vidcap@...> wrote:
        > Tested on NSLU2 Unslung 4.20 with appWeb 1.2.3-5,
        > enables use of httpClient and httpPassword.
        >
        > Should work with previous appWeb versions as well.
        >
        > Place in /opt/lib
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > tivo_vidcap
        >

        > [ Moderator Note: All new information should be recorded in the Wiki at
        > http://www.nslu2-linux.org ]

      • Matt McNeill
        Message 3 of 6 , May 29, 2005
          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Rod Whitby <list.yahoo@r...> wrote:
          > tivo_vidcap,
          >
          > We tend to discourage the upload of binaries without accompanying
          > source code and build instructions.
          >
          > How did you build this executable? Can we fold those build
          > instructions back into the appWeb package itself ?

          Well I previously posted a make file to build appweb (including this
          library) to this mailing list which could have been used to build
          this. Eno has also posted a make file which has a number of
          corrections which was tested on cross build.

          The problem is that some of the libraries built by Make are not
          included in the list to be packaged in the ipkg. There are also some
          other messy bits in the make file which we cleaned up.

          I have also recently posted a version of the make file which links to
          PHP, but this needs to be more rigorously tested as I mentioned in

          I have documented the problems with the existing make file on the list
          and made efforts to get them in the build - but I haven't really felt
          able to push its adoption until I get a cross build environment going
          since the native build environment doesn't seem to be taken seriously
          enough to "cut it" for development (I personally have been very
          impressed by it - I've managed to compile MySQL and PHP on it - took
          about a day).

          I'd be more than happy to publish the updated mk file again for
          testing if someone with access to the repository would be kind enough
          to post it.

          Furthermore, there are 2 projects to take appweb further which I would
          be happy to have help with:

          1) compilation of appweb 2.0.0
          2) properly tested integration of PHP (I have got some results for 1.2.3)

          Matt
          Message 4 of 6 , May 29, 2005
            On 5/30/05, Matt McNeill <matt_mcneill@...> wrote:
            > I have documented the problems with the existing make file on the list
            > and made efforts to get them in the build - but I haven't really felt
            > able to push its adoption until I get a cross build environment going
            > since the native build environment doesn't seem to be taken seriously
            > enough to "cut it" for development (I personally have been very
            > impressed by it - I've managed to compile MySQL and PHP on it - took
            > about a day).

            Actually, the native build environment is taken just as seriously as
            the cross build environment. The reason why we prefer cross-built
            packages is simply the amount of time it takes to build cross versus
            build native. So if something can be built cross (as appWeb has been
            so far), then we would prefer to continue building it cross. Are you
            able to use a Knoppix system or CoLinux or VMWare to get a cross build
            environment running?

            I don't know anything about the appweb build itself, so I can't help
            you there, and we really do require contributors to be able to test
            their changes before we add them to the repository.

            So I guess you (or someone else who is willing and able to test
            changes to appweb.mk) really need to get that cross build system
            working ....

            -- Rod
          • Josh Parsons
            Message 5 of 6 , May 31, 2005
              On Sun, 2005-05-29 at 22:17 +0000, Matt McNeill wrote:

              > Well I previously posted a make file to build appweb (including this
              > library) to this mailing list which could have been used to build
              > this...

              > I'd be more than happy to publish the updated mk file again for
              > testing if someone with access to the repository would be kind enough
              > to post it.

              Hi, Matt,

              Just to amplify what rwhitby said: we really need .mk files to have a
              sponsoring developer. You could be that developer, in the case of
              appweb. What you'd need to do though, is produce a .mk file that can be
              used as-is to cross-compile appweb, since there's no good reason that
              appweb can't be cross-compiled (unlike say emacs, perl, or openldap).

              Native-only packages are a drain on the resources not just of their
              maintainers, but of the core developers who maintain the feeds, and of
              other developers who might want to fix bugs or contribute to that
              package. Even with the small number of native-only packages we have, a
              native rebuild takes several days, and when native-only packages break
              or are discovered to have bugs, it's a time-consuming process to fix
              them.

              I have a copy of your .mk file, and eventually may get time to work on
              it and ensure that it can cross-build. If you don't want to wait,
              though, I'd encourage you to set up a cross-build system of some kind
              yourself.

              --
              Josh Parsons
              Philosophy Department

            • Matt McNeill
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 1, 2005
                Josh, Rwhitby et al,

                Sorry if I sounded a little harsh - didn't mean it. I have been
                looking into getting a cross environment set up for some weeks and I
                do appreciate the help I have received in exploring the options (e.g.
                co-linux). The problem has been that I haven't been able to find the
                time to invest in getting up-to-speed on co-linux networking, knoppix
                remastering, toolchain installation etc etc.

                I just wanted to clarify this point, because I haven't been making the
                appweb compilation "specific to the native build", but have been
                maiking it "not specific to the cross build". It has purely been a
                metetr of convenience to work on the slug native tool chain given the
                time I have available - and the fact that appweb is a relatively small
                package (complared to mysql for example).

                I have been following the work [g2] has been doing with "sluggix" with
                much interest, simply because it could open a door for me which may
                well take months for me to repeat on my own.

                The concept of being able to download an ISO, set up a bit of local
                working area on the hard disk, pop-in the CD and just do cross-build
                work is a fantastic for windows-locked package developers like myself.

                At the moment I seem to be fighting learning cuves everywhere with
                very limited time :-)

                Thanks for all the work and support for this. I will get there in the end.

                I'd be very happy to have my name against appWeb once I feel I can
                contribute in an acceptable way.

                Matt (aka copperbeech)