Re: FTPD and other missing utilities

  • mrthreeplates
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 23, 2004
      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Sopher" <Steve@w...> wrote:
      > Can you please elaborate on steps to do once root telnet access is
      done?

      See the Files section on this group & Download romfs.tar.gz
      (Hopefully, this and other files will get mirrored to the
      other servers).

      Gunzip the file on your PC.

      Move the romfs.tar onto your NSLU2:
      This can be done several ways, but the easiest
      is to just copy it to the shared folder using
      the NAS capability of the NSLU2.

      Login as root on the NSLU2.

      cd to the directory containing romfs.tar.

      Type "tar xf romfs.tar" (note that the tar includes
      symbolic links which likely won't work very well).
      Links will generate errors on a vfat (FLASH) filesystem
      and will likely point to the wrong file otherwise.

      So, stick with running the binaries only.

      You now have an image of the ramdisk that I built.

      cd into the romfs/bin directory and run some
      of the commands.

      Example:

      # cd romfs/bin
      # ./uname -a
      Linux server 2.4.22-xfs #379 Wed Jul 7 15:59:25 CST 2004 armv5b
    • Roy M. Silvernail
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 24, 2004
        mrthreeplates wrote:

        >Hi,
        >
        >This may have been posted before, but I missed it and/or
        >missed how *really* easy this is to do.

        Hmmm... after make xconfig && make dep && make:

        blkpg.c: In function `blk_ioctl':
        blkpg.c:252: error: asm-specifier for variable `__r1' conflicts with asm
        clobber list
        blkpg.c:252: confused by earlier errors, bailing out
        make[4]: *** [blkpg.o] Error 1

        This is with the arm-linux-tools-20031127.tar.gz
        <http://ftp.snapgear.org/pub/snapgear/tools/arm-linux/arm-linux-tools-20031127.tar.gz>
        package from snapgear.org, and before trying anything more than setting
        the Intel chip target. Any ideas?

        --
        Roy M. Silvernail is roy@..., and you're not
        "It's just this little chromium switch, here." - TFS
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 24, 2004
          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Roy M. Silvernail" <roy@r...>
          wrote:
          > Hmmm... after make xconfig && make dep && make:
          >
          > blkpg.c: In function `blk_ioctl':
          > blkpg.c:252: error: asm-specifier for variable `__r1' conflicts
          with asm
          > clobber list
          > blkpg.c:252: confused by earlier errors, bailing out
          > make[4]: *** [blkpg.o] Error 1

          That happens when you use the latest snapgear compiler with the old
          3.0.0 source. (a bit of searching said that it was a bug in the "C"
          source (forcing illegal combination of assembly registers to used) -
          older compilers didn't care, newer compilers give the error
          message). I think the bug is actually in glibc.

          I assume that there's an older compiler out there that works with
          this source.

          If you use the snapgear 3.1.1 source, it works with the newest
          compiler. (I don't know if all of the utils will work on a stock
          NSLU2 (3.0.0-based) kernel, though, because of library version
          differences). It's probably best to track down the correct compiler
          version (I don't know where it is - others probably do)

          - Paulb
        • Roy M. Silvernail
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 24, 2004
            paulbart1234 wrote:

            >--- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Roy M. Silvernail" <roy@r...>
            >wrote:
            >

            >>Hmmm... after make xconfig && make dep && make:
            >>
            >>blkpg.c: In function `blk_ioctl':
            >>blkpg.c:252: error: asm-specifier for variable `__r1' conflicts
            >>

            >with asm
            >

            >>clobber list
            >>blkpg.c:252: confused by earlier errors, bailing out
            >>make[4]: *** [blkpg.o] Error 1
            >>

            >That happens when you use the latest snapgear compiler with the old
            >3.0.0 source.

            Well, so much for the "newer == better" approach.

            >I assume that there's an older compiler out there that works with
            >this source.

            http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=74209 looks
            promising. I'll know more after the download is done.

            Thanks for the tip.

            --
            Roy M. Silvernail is roy@..., and you're not
            "It's just this little chromium switch, here." - TFS
            SpamAssassin->procmail->/dev/null->bliss
            http://www.rant-central.com
          • Henry Culver
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 24, 2004
              On Tue, 2004-08-24 at 11:38, Roy M. Silvernail wrote:
              I've got a patch for this, that has to be applied to
              arch/asm-arm/uaccess.h and arch/arm/lib/putuser.S. I'll attach it here,
              you will have to hand apply it. I'm in the middle of a move, so
              not sure when I'll be able to reply to any follow ups.

              -Henry Culver

              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 24, 2004
                Henry Culver wrote:

                >On Tue, 2004-08-24 at 11:38, Roy M. Silvernail wrote:
                >I've got a patch for this, that has to be applied to
                >arch/asm-arm/uaccess.h and arch/arm/lib/putuser.S. I'll attach it here,
                >you will have to hand apply it. I'm in the middle of a move, so
                >not sure when I'll be able to reply to any follow ups.

                Thanks. I did backversion the toolchain and got a successful compile,
                but I'll make a note of this for the future.