Unslung 4.x beta and OpenSlug 1.x source releases

  • nslu2_linux
    Message 1 of 1 , May 14, 2005
      The NSLU2-Linux development team is pleased to announce the
      concurrent source releases of Unslung 4.20-beta and OpenSlug 1.12-
      beta. These source releases can be found in the Sourceforge.net file
      release area at:

      http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=116564

      You can also find the README file for each release in the same area.

      Note that the README for the OpenSlug firmware is intentionally far
      less detailed than the README for the Unslung firmware, as the
      OpenSlug firmware is intended for use only by people who have
      previously installed and administered one or more Linux systems. If
      you are a first-time user of custom firmware for the NSLU2, then we
      recommend that you start with the Unslung firmware, and then make a
      decision whether to move to the OpenSlug firmware only after you are
      familiar with installing and running custom firmware on the NSLU2.

      Due to licensing of the Intel IXP400 loadable kernel module, the
      binary releases are being prepared by a trusted third party, will be
      released separately on a different site from www.nslu2-linux.org, and
      will require you to agree to a click-through end-user license to be
      able to download the binary firmware image. We expect these binary
      releases to happen in the next day or two.

      Note that there is no charge for this click-through license, and (as
      far as we can tell - we are not lawyers, and you should make your own
      judgement before accepting the license) the only thing that the
      license prevents you from doing is to redistribute the Intel IXP400
      loadable kernel module in a way which might subject the Intel IXP400
      software to any other license obligations (this is a condition of use
      of the Intel IXP400 software which runs the built-in ethernet
      interface of the NSLU2).

      Since the Intel source is compiled into a loadable kernel module (for
      OpenSlug, - the kernel module is just copied from the Linksys
      firmware for Unslung), then aggregating that loadable kernel module
      with the rest of the firmware does not subject the Intel software to
      any other license obligations and therefore complies with the Intel
      license.

      However the nslu2-linux developent team cannot accept that license on
      your behalf, and therefore any individual who downloads the binary
      image must accept the Intel license on their own behalf before that
      individual can be given access to the binary image that our trusted
      third party will release.

      We have taken this step to ensure that there is no possibility of the
      nslu2-linux project infringing on any Intel licensing. Yes, we know
      that Linksys do not require you to agree to a click-through license
      before downloading the official NSLU2 firmware. Linksys and Intel
      are large companies with lots of lawyers. We do not want to give
      those lawyers any reason to look our way. Note that we are also
      intending to transfer the existing earlier Unslung binary releases
      over to the third-party binary release sites so that there is no
      possibility of those binary images infringing either.

      There will be further information forthcoming in the next couple of
      days regarding the binary releases. If you do not already know how
      to build a firmware image from the source release, then please be
      patient and wait for the binary release.

      -- The NSLU2-Linux development team