Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: FTPD and other missing utilities

Expand Messages
  • mrthreeplates
    People have asked me for the FTPD binary. He it is and more. I ve built the default snapgear 3.0.0 sources and added a few of what I consider useful
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 23, 2004
    • 0 Attachment
      People have asked me for the FTPD binary. He it is and more.

      I've built the default snapgear 3.0.0 sources and added
      a few of what I consider useful utilities. I'll probably
      be refining this a bit over the next few days. Check the
      files section for the romfs.tar.gz file. Simply download,
      unzip, untar this file onto your USB drive / flash. Then
      telnet into the NSLU2 and enjoy. I've made no attempt to
      edit the image (e.g. by removing redundant utilities).

      Highlights of what is there and NEW:
      -----------------------------------

      bash
      busybox (default build, much better than NSLU2s).
      cpu (status utility)
      hd (hex dump)
      tip
      ftpd, /etc/inetd.conf
      recover (eth0, dhcp, doesn't preserve existing config) - only useful
      if you burn a new flash
      arp
      msntp
      ntpd, ntpdc, ntpdate, ntpq
      portmap
      snmpd
      stp
      tftp, tftpd
      traceroute
      rarp
      mawk (awk)
      strace
      cmp
      grep
      more
      uname

      Notes:
      I've run a few of these programs and they seem to work..., but
      don't bug me if they don't. I only compiled them!
      I didn't try to build any of the httpd programs as their
      versions seemed quite old. I'll compile thttpd separately.
      Some programs wouldn't compile. People are welcome to
      try to figure out why. Examples: (at*, perl, top, vmstat, w,
      uptime, python, ssh*, tcsh).
      Some programs selected via xconfig didn't get
      built (netstat, nameif).
      Where the heck is sed and diff in snapgear? (m)awk is there...
      I probably should look at 3.1.1...

      George

      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "mrthreeplates"
      <mrthreeplates@y...> wrote:
      >
      > Hi,
      >
      > This may have been posted before, but I missed it and/or
      > missed how *really* easy this is to do.
      >
      > If you want any of the utilities that aren't on the NSLU2's
      > f/w, but are included in the snapgear's source provided
      > on the CD, simply do the following (on a Linux box):
      >
      > 1) Copy the source over from the install CD that came
      > with your NSLU2 (the directory is "Original Source"). You might
      > need to rename it to get rid of the space ("Original_Source").
      >
      > 2) Find a copy of ARM linux toolchain for snapgear. Look for
      > this file on www.snapgear.org or elsewhere on the net.
      >
      > arm-linux-tools-20030927.tar.gz
      >
      > 3) Follow the simple insructions in the file INTEL-IXDP425-HOWTO
      > located in the Documentation directory of the snapgear sources.
      >
      > 4) during make xconfig, select that you want to customize
      > the vendor/user settings. After you save and exit, another
      > pop-up window will let you select which user apps (including
      > games) that you want to build. I selected ftpd (which was
      > off by default).
      >
      > 5) do make dep, then make per instructions. This may take
      > a little while.
      >
      > 6) cd into the romfs/ directory and you will find all of
      > the target binaries and files (in my case, I wanted bin/ftpd
      > and /etc/inetd.conf).
      >
      > 7) Copy the files over to your NSLU2 and test. Worked
      > for me.
      >
      > Notes:
      >
      > Check out the compile lines for some of the utilities.
      > You will see how, in a cross build environment, the makefiles
      > use -nostdinc and multiple include (-I) file locations. You
      > may want to make a note of all of the options in case you want
      > to use the environment to port your own s/w.
      >
      > I chose to use the original sources (3.0.0 v.s. 3.1.1) just in
      case
      > there were incompatibilities with the existing libs on the NSLU2.
      >
      > Cheers,
      >
      > George
    • Sopher
      Can you please elaborate on steps to do once root telnet access is done? ________________________________ From: mrthreeplates [mailto:mrthreeplates@yahoo.com]
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 23, 2004
      • 0 Attachment

        Can you please elaborate on steps to do once root telnet access is done?

         

         


        From: mrthreeplates [mailto:mrthreeplates@...]
        Sent: Monday, August 23, 2004 4:26 AM
        To: nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [nslu2-linux] Re: FTPD and other missing utilities

         


        People have asked me for the FTPD binary.  He it is and more.

        I've built the default snapgear 3.0.0 sources and added
        a few of what I consider useful utilities.  I'll probably
        be refining this a bit over the next few days.  Check the
        files section for the romfs.tar.gz file.  Simply download,
        unzip, untar this file onto your USB drive / flash.  Then
        telnet into the NSLU2 and enjoy.  I've made no attempt to
        edit the image (e.g. by removing redundant utilities).

        Highlights of what is there and NEW:
        -----------------------------------

        bash
        busybox (default build, much better than NSLU2s).
        cpu (status utility)
        hd (hex dump)
        tip
        ftpd, /etc/inetd.conf
        recover (eth0, dhcp, doesn't preserve existing config) - only useful
        if you burn a new flash
        arp
        msntp
        ntpd, ntpdc, ntpdate, ntpq
        portmap
        snmpd
        stp
        tftp, tftpd
        traceroute
        rarp
        mawk (awk)
        strace
        cmp
        grep
        more
        uname

        Notes:
           I've run a few of these programs and they seem to work..., but
        don't bug me if they don't.  I only compiled them!
           I didn't try to build any of the httpd programs as their
        versions seemed quite old.  I'll compile thttpd separately.
           Some programs wouldn't compile.  People are welcome to
        try to figure out why.  Examples: (at*, perl, top, vmstat, w,
        uptime, python, ssh*, tcsh).
           Some programs selected via xconfig didn't get
        built (netstat, nameif).
           Where the heck is sed and diff in snapgear?  (m)awk is there...
        I probably should look at 3.1.1...

        George

        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com , "mrthreeplates"
        <mrthreeplates@y...> wrote:
        >  
        > Hi, 
        >  
        > This may have been posted before, but I missed it and/or 
        > missed how *really* easy this is to do. 
        >  
        > If you want any of the utilities that aren't on the NSLU2's 
        > f/w, but are included in the snapgear's source provided 
        > on the CD, simply do the following (on a Linux box): 
        >  
        > 1) Copy the source over from the install CD that came 
        > with your NSLU2 (the directory is "Original Source").  You might 
        > need to rename it to get rid of the space ("Original_Source"). 
        >  
        > 2) Find a copy of ARM linux toolchain for snapgear.  Look for 
        > this file on www.snapgear.org or elsewhere on the net. 
        >  
        >       arm-linux-tools-20030927.tar.gz 
        >  
        > 3) Follow the simple insructions in the file INTEL-IXDP425-HOWTO 
        > located in the Documentation directory of the snapgear sources. 
        >  
        > 4) during make xconfig, select that you want to customize 
        > the vendor/user settings.  After you save and exit, another 
        > pop-up window will let you select which user apps (including 
        > games) that you want to build.  I selected ftpd (which was 
        > off by default). 
        >  
        > 5) do make dep, then make per instructions.  This may take 
        > a little while. 
        >  
        > 6) cd into the romfs/ directory and you will find all of 
        > the target binaries and files (in my case, I wanted bin/ftpd 
        > and /etc/inetd.conf). 
        >  
        > 7) Copy the files over to your NSLU2 and test.  Worked 
        > for me. 
        >  
        > Notes: 
        >  
        > Check out the compile lines for some of the utilities. 
        > You will see how, in a cross build environment, the makefiles 
        > use -nostdinc and multiple include (-I) file locations.  You 
        > may want to make a note of all of the options in case you want 
        > to use the environment to port your own s/w. 
        >  
        > I chose to use the original sources (3.0.0 v.s. 3.1.1) just in
        case 
        > there were incompatibilities with the existing libs on the NSLU2. 
        >  
        > Cheers, 
        >  
        > George



      • mrthreeplates
        ... done? ... See the Files section on this group & Download romfs.tar.gz (Hopefully, this and other files will get mirrored to the other servers). Gunzip the
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 23, 2004
        • 0 Attachment
          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Sopher" <Steve@w...> wrote:
          > Can you please elaborate on steps to do once root telnet access is
          done?
          >
          >

          See the Files section on this group & Download romfs.tar.gz
          (Hopefully, this and other files will get mirrored to the
          other servers).

          Gunzip the file on your PC.

          Move the romfs.tar onto your NSLU2:
          This can be done several ways, but the easiest
          is to just copy it to the shared folder using
          the NAS capability of the NSLU2.

          Login as root on the NSLU2.

          cd to the directory containing romfs.tar.

          Type "tar xf romfs.tar" (note that the tar includes
          symbolic links which likely won't work very well).
          Links will generate errors on a vfat (FLASH) filesystem
          and will likely point to the wrong file otherwise.

          So, stick with running the binaries only.

          You now have an image of the ramdisk that I built.

          cd into the romfs/bin directory and run some
          of the commands.

          Example:

          # cd romfs/bin
          # ./uname -a
          Linux server 2.4.22-xfs #379 Wed Jul 7 15:59:25 CST 2004 armv5b
        • Roy M. Silvernail
          ... Hmmm... after make xconfig && make dep && make: blkpg.c: In function `blk_ioctl : blkpg.c:252: error: asm-specifier for variable `__r1 conflicts with asm
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 24, 2004
          • 0 Attachment
            mrthreeplates wrote:

            >
            >Hi,
            >
            >This may have been posted before, but I missed it and/or
            >missed how *really* easy this is to do.
            >
            >
            Hmmm... after make xconfig && make dep && make:

            blkpg.c: In function `blk_ioctl':
            blkpg.c:252: error: asm-specifier for variable `__r1' conflicts with asm
            clobber list
            blkpg.c:252: confused by earlier errors, bailing out
            make[4]: *** [blkpg.o] Error 1

            This is with the arm-linux-tools-20031127.tar.gz
            <http://ftp.snapgear.org/pub/snapgear/tools/arm-linux/arm-linux-tools-20031127.tar.gz>
            package from snapgear.org, and before trying anything more than setting
            the Intel chip target. Any ideas?

            --
            Roy M. Silvernail is roy@..., and you're not
            "It's just this little chromium switch, here." - TFS
            SpamAssassin->procmail->/dev/null->bliss
            http://www.rant-central.com
          • paulbart1234
            ... with asm ... That happens when you use the latest snapgear compiler with the old 3.0.0 source. (a bit of searching said that it was a bug in the C
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 24, 2004
            • 0 Attachment
              --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Roy M. Silvernail" <roy@r...>
              wrote:
              > Hmmm... after make xconfig && make dep && make:
              >
              > blkpg.c: In function `blk_ioctl':
              > blkpg.c:252: error: asm-specifier for variable `__r1' conflicts
              with asm
              > clobber list
              > blkpg.c:252: confused by earlier errors, bailing out
              > make[4]: *** [blkpg.o] Error 1


              That happens when you use the latest snapgear compiler with the old
              3.0.0 source. (a bit of searching said that it was a bug in the "C"
              source (forcing illegal combination of assembly registers to used) -
              older compilers didn't care, newer compilers give the error
              message). I think the bug is actually in glibc.

              I assume that there's an older compiler out there that works with
              this source.

              If you use the snapgear 3.1.1 source, it works with the newest
              compiler. (I don't know if all of the utils will work on a stock
              NSLU2 (3.0.0-based) kernel, though, because of library version
              differences). It's probably best to track down the correct compiler
              version (I don't know where it is - others probably do)

              - Paulb
            • Roy M. Silvernail
              ... Well, so much for the newer == better approach. ... http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=74209 looks promising. I ll know more after
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 24, 2004
              • 0 Attachment
                paulbart1234 wrote:

                >--- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Roy M. Silvernail" <roy@r...>
                >wrote:
                >
                >
                >>Hmmm... after make xconfig && make dep && make:
                >>
                >>blkpg.c: In function `blk_ioctl':
                >>blkpg.c:252: error: asm-specifier for variable `__r1' conflicts
                >>
                >>
                >with asm
                >
                >
                >>clobber list
                >>blkpg.c:252: confused by earlier errors, bailing out
                >>make[4]: *** [blkpg.o] Error 1
                >>
                >>
                >
                >
                >That happens when you use the latest snapgear compiler with the old
                >3.0.0 source.
                >
                Well, so much for the "newer == better" approach.

                >I assume that there's an older compiler out there that works with
                >this source.
                >
                >
                http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=74209 looks
                promising. I'll know more after the download is done.

                Thanks for the tip.

                --
                Roy M. Silvernail is roy@..., and you're not
                "It's just this little chromium switch, here." - TFS
                SpamAssassin->procmail->/dev/null->bliss
                http://www.rant-central.com
              • Henry Culver
                On Tue, 2004-08-24 at 11:38, Roy M. Silvernail wrote: I ve got a patch for this, that has to be applied to arch/asm-arm/uaccess.h and arch/arm/lib/putuser.S.
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 24, 2004
                • 0 Attachment
                  On Tue, 2004-08-24 at 11:38, Roy M. Silvernail wrote:
                  I've got a patch for this, that has to be applied to
                  arch/asm-arm/uaccess.h and arch/arm/lib/putuser.S. I'll attach it here,
                  you will have to hand apply it. I'm in the middle of a move, so
                  not sure when I'll be able to reply to any follow ups.

                  -Henry Culver

                  > mrthreeplates wrote:
                  >
                  > >
                  > >Hi,
                  > >
                  > >This may have been posted before, but I missed it and/or
                  > >missed how *really* easy this is to do.
                  > >
                  > >
                  > Hmmm... after make xconfig && make dep && make:
                  >
                  > blkpg.c: In function `blk_ioctl':
                  > blkpg.c:252: error: asm-specifier for variable `__r1' conflicts with asm
                  > clobber list
                  > blkpg.c:252: confused by earlier errors, bailing out
                  > make[4]: *** [blkpg.o] Error 1
                  >
                  > This is with the arm-linux-tools-20031127.tar.gz
                  > <http://ftp.snapgear.org/pub/snapgear/tools/arm-linux/arm-linux-tools-20031127.tar.gz>
                  > package from snapgear.org, and before trying anything more than setting
                  > the Intel chip target. Any ideas?
                • Roy M. Silvernail
                  ... Thanks. I did backversion the toolchain and got a successful compile, but I ll make a note of this for the future. -- Roy M. Silvernail is
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 24, 2004
                  • 0 Attachment
                    Henry Culver wrote:

                    >On Tue, 2004-08-24 at 11:38, Roy M. Silvernail wrote:
                    >I've got a patch for this, that has to be applied to
                    >arch/asm-arm/uaccess.h and arch/arm/lib/putuser.S. I'll attach it here,
                    >you will have to hand apply it. I'm in the middle of a move, so
                    >not sure when I'll be able to reply to any follow ups.
                    >
                    >

                    Thanks. I did backversion the toolchain and got a successful compile,
                    but I'll make a note of this for the future.

                    --
                    Roy M. Silvernail is roy@..., and you're not
                    "It's just this little chromium switch, here." - TFS
                    SpamAssassin->procmail->/dev/null->bliss
                    http://www.rant-central.com
                  Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.