Re: [nslu2-linux] Re: Status

  • Jim Buzbee
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 3, 2004
      On Tue, 3 Aug 2004, sveasoft wrote:

      > > hub.c: new USB device 00:01.1-2, assigned address 2
      > > Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual
      > address
      > > 00000000
      > This looks like the same kernel oops reported here in the 2.3 kernel
      > development
      > http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0005.2/0591.html.
      > The bug seems to have to do with custom USB chip code for variations
      > in the internal register layout. Could Linksys have used a modified
      > kernel with patches for the USB controller chip?

      It is possible. There was another "funny" think I noticed over the
      weekend but didn't have time to dig into. I plugged a hub into the box,
      and then a flash drive into the hub. No problem. It mounted normally.
      Then I plugged another flash drive into the hub to see if I could at least
      manually have two mounted. At this point the LED on the second flash
      drive continuously blinked instead of a steady on like normal. Then
      neither disk was available, but if I recall, the first was still shown to
      be mounted.

      I'm pretty sure that the source we have for the box is incomplete. I know
      that thttp has been modified, but the source tree provided is virgin.
      In addition, the kernel ID tag you get at boot time does not match the id
      in the kernel Makefile provided in the snapgear tree.

      > I won't receive my NSLU2's for a few days so I can't reproduce or
      > test this as yet.

      Looking forward to your input.

      > James
      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      Jim Buzbee "I was gratified to be able to
      jbuzbee@... answer promptly, and I did. I
      http://batbox.org said I didn't know." Mark Twain