Problems with 300GB Maxtor

  • trzebuchowski
    Message 1 of 6 , May 2, 2005
      Hi
      I'm having hard time making my setup work. I've a 300GB harddrive
      connected to my NSLU2 and I just can't format it. After a chat with
      Linksys support I knew, that the original firmware only supports
      drives up to 250GB, so I hoped that uNSLUng would help, but no.

      The thing that happends is: I start the format, the drive blinks and
      blinks and blinks.... When I reset the NSLU2, (by pulling the power
      cable out), and go back to the admin, the drive is "Not Formatted".

      When I connect it to my PC and check it out with partition
      magic, I see 3 linux partitions?!

      Is there something wrong with the hardware?

      And another question; I've been follownig the readme.txt on how to
      flash the nslu2, but some things are not clear to me:

      "
      3) OK, now that you don't have any disks attached, you can proceed and
      telnet into the NSLU2 using the username root and password uNSLUng.

      4) Identify which drive you wish you "unsling", and plug it in. Wait
      a minute or two while the disk is mounted."

      What should I telnet to the device on 3? I did: "/sbin/unsling 1". Was
      it what I was supposed to do?

      Hope to hear from someone.

      Regards
      Bartek
    • Gerald L. Clark
      Message 2 of 6 , May 2, 2005
        trzebuchowski wrote:
        > Hi
        > I'm having hard time making my setup work. I've a 300GB harddrive
        > connected to my NSLU2 and I just can't format it. After a chat with
        > Linksys support I knew, that the original firmware only supports
        > drives up to 250GB, so I hoped that uNSLUng would help, but no.
        >
        > The thing that happends is: I start the format, the drive blinks and
        > blinks and blinks....
        It takes a while.
        When I reset the NSLU2, (by pulling the power
        > cable out), and go back to the admin, the drive is "Not Formatted".
        If you interrupted the format, you may have a problem now.

        > When I connect it to my PC and check it out with partition
        > magic, I see 3 linux partitions?!
        Delete them and start over.

        > Is there something wrong with the hardware?
        >
        > And another question; I've been follownig the readme.txt on how to
        > flash the nslu2, but some things are not clear to me:
        >
        > "
        > 3) OK, now that you don't have any disks attached, you can proceed and
        > telnet into the NSLU2 using the username root and password uNSLUng.
        >
        > 4) Identify which drive you wish you "unsling", and plug it in. Wait
        > a minute or two while the disk is mounted."
        >
        > What should I telnet to the device on 3?
        If your slug is on 192.168.0.22 ( for example )
        telnet 192.168.0.22
        enter 'root' as the id, and 'uNSLUng' as the password.
        I did: "/sbin/unsling 1". Was
        > it what I was supposed to do?
        No.
        It is 'unsling disk1'
        but that won't work until you have the disk working.

        --
        nslu-linux - glc
      • trzebuchowski
        Message 3 of 6 , May 2, 2005
          Thanks for the reply.

          I've tried to format this drive 20 times now. I wait for over 1 hour
          and than I hear the drive stops, but the blinks stays just the same.
          The NSLU2 freezes and I can't get in contact with it.

          My question is: has the uNSLUng people done something to the OS to
          support drives over 250GB? And is there anyone else that has had this
          kind of problems?

          Regards
          Bartek

          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald L. Clark"

          Message 4 of 6 , May 2, 2005
            On 5/3/05, trzebuchowski <bartek@...> wrote:
            > My question is: has the uNSLUng people done something to the OS to
            > support drives over 250GB?

            We have made no changes that would affect the maximum disk size.

            -- Rod
          • ronanburke
            Message 5 of 6 , May 3, 2005
              Hi Bartek,
              I am running Unslung and 300 Gig Maxtor with out any issues.

              Ronan

              --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Rod Whitby <list.yahoo@r...> wrote:
              > On 5/3/05, trzebuchowski <bartek@w...> wrote:
              > > My question is: has the uNSLUng people done something to the OS to
              > > support drives over 250GB?
              >
              > We have made no changes that would affect the maximum disk size.
              >
              > -- Rod
            • John Bowler
              Message 6 of 6 , May 3, 2005

                From: ronanburke
                >I am running Unslung and 300 Gig Maxtor with out any issues.

                I believe I've seen the reported problem in the past with a disk which I was
                subsequently able to get to work with Unslung. It happened several months
                ago though, so I'm now sure of the exact behaviour.

                I believe I had tried to persuade stock LinkSys (or maybe it was Unslung),
                to use different partitioning by partitioning the disk on Windows 2000.
                LinkSys then apparently never completed the format (or maybe it never
                tried). I fixed this by deleting all the parititions (from Win2k).

                I'm fairly sure it is possible to partition the disk off-line (e.g. to use
                different partition sizes) by formatting the partitions (as Linux partitions
                (83?) with an ext3 format) then adding the .dongle to the relevant
                partition. I'm also sure it is possible to do the setup by hand from
                Unslung (plugging the disk in after telneting in). There's some more
                debugging information here:
                http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/TroubleshootADriveNotFormattedConditio
                n, and there has been discussion in the past somewhere on this list.

                John Bowler <jbowler@...>