Installing MySql

  • Robert Hammond
    Message 1 of 3 , May 2, 2005
      I seem to be having some problems installing the MySql package onto an
      unslung 3.18 beta.

      Installation seems to complete and I can set the first password instance
      as suggested at the end of the installation script using
      /opt/bin/mysqladmin -u root password 'new-password'

      unfortunately the second scrip fails
      /opt/bin/mysqladmin -u root -h NSLU2-1 password 'new-password'

      I am getting the following error message
      /opt/bin/mysqladmin:Connect to server at 'NSLU2-1' failed
      error:'Lost connection to MySQL Server during query

      The ps command shows four running instances for mysql as follows so the
      server does seem to be up and running.

      2157 ttyp0 root 1940 S /bin/sh /opt/bin/mysqld_safe
      --datadir=/opt
      2227 ttyp0 root 7580 S /share/hdd/conf/opt/libexec/mysqld
      --basedi
      2228 ttyp0 root 7580 S /share/hdd/conf/opt/libexec/mysqld
      --basedi
      2229 ttyp0 root 7580 S /share/hdd/conf/opt/libexec/mysqld
      --basedi

      Also '/opt/bin/mysqladmin version' which should just return the
      version number indicating that the server is up and running as suggested
      in the pdf manual fails with the following error:-
      /opt/bin/mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
      error: 'Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)'

      --
      Robert Hammond
      PGP:0x154144DA
      Message 2 of 3 , May 2, 2005
        Robert Hammond wrote:
        > I seem to be having some problems installing the MySql package onto an
        > unslung 3.18 beta.
        >
        > Installation seems to complete and I can set the first password instance
        > as suggested at the end of the installation script using
        > /opt/bin/mysqladmin -u root password 'new-password'
        >
        > unfortunately the second scrip fails
        > /opt/bin/mysqladmin -u root -h NSLU2-1 password 'new-password'
        By default root has no access with a host specified. You need to use the
        grant command to setup root access from a host.

        > I am getting the following error message
        > /opt/bin/mysqladmin:Connect to server at 'NSLU2-1' failed
        > error:'Lost connection to MySQL Server during query
        Check the logs. Sounds like the server crashed and restarted.

        > The ps command shows four running instances for mysql as follows so the
        > server does seem to be up and running.
        >
        > 2157 ttyp0 root 1940 S /bin/sh /opt/bin/mysqld_safe
        > --datadir=/opt
        > 2227 ttyp0 root 7580 S /share/hdd/conf/opt/libexec/mysqld
        > --basedi
        > 2228 ttyp0 root 7580 S /share/hdd/conf/opt/libexec/mysqld
        > --basedi
        > 2229 ttyp0 root 7580 S /share/hdd/conf/opt/libexec/mysqld
        > --basedi
        >

        > Also '/opt/bin/mysqladmin version' which should just return the
        > version number indicating that the server is up and running as suggested
        > in the pdf manual fails with the following error:-
        > /opt/bin/mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
        > error: 'Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)'
        You set a password above, but did not supply it here.

        --
        nslu-linux - glc
      • Robert Hammond
        Message 3 of 3 , May 4, 2005
          In message <4276A4C3.2010207@...>, Gerald L. Clark
          <gerald_clark@...> writes
          >Robert Hammond wrote:
          >> I seem to be having some problems installing the MySql package onto an
          >> unslung 3.18 beta.
          >>
          >> Installation seems to complete and I can set the first password instance
          >> as suggested at the end of the installation script using
          >> /opt/bin/mysqladmin -u root password 'new-password'
          >>
          >> unfortunately the second scrip fails
          >> /opt/bin/mysqladmin -u root -h NSLU2-1 password 'new-password'
          >By default root has no access with a host specified. You need to use the
          >grant command to setup root access from a host.

          I can see this now after reading through the Manual

          >> I am getting the following error message
          >> /opt/bin/mysqladmin:Connect to server at 'NSLU2-1' failed
          >> error:'Lost connection to MySQL Server during query
          >Check the logs. Sounds like the server crashed and restarted.

          I think that something may well have gone strange during the
          installation.
          So I have now removed both php-mysql and mysql and then manually delete
          the default database files. Then re-installed both packages followed
          by a re-boot of the NSLU2. Interestingly I had to do the installation
          of mysql twice because of CRC errors being displayed during
          installation, I think due to a bad download (perhaps this also happened
          during the first installation, one will never know). All now seems to
          be working just fine and I can now access using phpMyAdmin which would
          not work before.

          I do wonder if this is a symptom of having too many packages loaded and
          running.

          --
          Robert Hammond
          PGP:0x154144DA