Re: [nslu2-linux] Re: apache worker MPM

  • Josh Parsons
    Message 1 of 6 , May 2, 2005
      On Mon, 2005-05-02 at 09:51 +0200, Spoettel Otmar wrote:

      > Please, can you tell me (us), what options i must edit/add/remove in
      > the httpd.conf to tune my ready apache installation to the worker mode?

      They are the options mentioned by Franz Ks, in an earlier email. If you
      can't figure this out yourself from reading httpd.conf, then you should
      probably just (I)nstall the new copy of httpd.conf when you install the
      apache ipk.

      --
      Josh Parsons
      Philosophy Department

    • Josh Parsons
      Message 2 of 6 , May 2, 2005
        > the only changes concerning the mpm in httpd.conf was
        > done in release 53-8 under # worker MPM
        >
        > [root@naslug apache2]$ diff httpd.conf_org_2.0.53-7
        > httpd.conf_org_2.0.53-8
        > 134,137c134,137
        > < StartServers 2
        > < MaxClients 150
        > < MinSpareThreads 25
        > < MaxSpareThreads 75
        > ---
        > > StartServers 1
        > > MaxClients 25
        > > MinSpareThreads 2
        > > MaxSpareThreads 5

        Yes, those are the changes to httpd.conf I was referring to. Their
        effect is to limit the number of processes and threads that apache will
        start.

        > Parameters are working well for me. Output of top is a
        > little bit confusing with 25 processes consuming each
        > 50% of (shared) memory.

        Good!

        This is actually 1 process with 25 threads. In linux, threads appear as
        extra processes. So you have 1 apache process using 50% of memory. If
        you want to reduce the memory usage, you could disable some apache
        and/or php modules.

        --
        Josh Parsons
        Philosophy Department
        1238 Social Sciences and Humanities Bldg.
        University of California
        Davis, CA 95616-8673
        USA

      • Spoettel Otmar
        Message 3 of 6 , May 2, 2005
          "Josh Parsons" <jbparsons@...>
          wrote
          > They are the options mentioned by Franz Ks, in an earlier email. If
          > you
          > can't figure this out yourself from reading httpd.conf, then you
          > should
          > probably just (I)nstall the new copy of httpd.conf when you install
          > the
          > apache ipk.
          Thanx Josh,

          i have changed the option how KS has wrote. Now, the apache use less
          memory as before.

          Otte