Re: [nslu2-linux] Re: apache worker MPM

  • Franz Ks
    Message 1 of 6 , May 2, 2005

      the only changes concerning the mpm in httpd.conf was
      done in release 53-8 under # worker MPM

      [root@naslug apache2]$ diff httpd.conf_org_2.0.53-7
      httpd.conf_org_2.0.53-8
      134,137c134,137
      < StartServers 2
      < MaxClients 150
      < MinSpareThreads 25
      < MaxSpareThreads 75
      ---
      > StartServers 1
      > MaxClients 25
      > MinSpareThreads 2
      > MaxSpareThreads 5

      Parameters are working well for me. Output of top is a
      little bit confusing with 25 processes consuming each
      50% of (shared) memory.

      Franz

      --- Spoettel Otmar <otmar.spoettel@...> wrote:
      > "Josh Parsons" <jbparsons@...>
      > wrote...
      > > You can upgrade to the new apache with "ipkg
      > update; ipkg install
      > > apache". If you were already running apache, you
      > should either
      > > (I)nstall the distributed httpd.conf, or edit your
      > existing one to
      > > tune
      > > the worker MPM parameters.
      > Hello Josh,
      >
      > thank you for your great work!
      > Please, can you tell me (us), what options i must
      > edit/add/remove in
      > the httpd.conf to tune my ready apache installation
      > to the worker mode?
      >
      > Thank you!
      >
      > Otmar

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Josh Parsons
      Message 2 of 6 , May 2, 2005
        On Mon, 2005-05-02 at 09:51 +0200, Spoettel Otmar wrote:

        > Please, can you tell me (us), what options i must edit/add/remove in
        > the httpd.conf to tune my ready apache installation to the worker mode?

        They are the options mentioned by Franz Ks, in an earlier email. If you
        can't figure this out yourself from reading httpd.conf, then you should
        probably just (I)nstall the new copy of httpd.conf when you install the
        apache ipk.

        --
        Josh Parsons
        Philosophy Department

      • Josh Parsons
        Message 3 of 6 , May 2, 2005
          > the only changes concerning the mpm in httpd.conf was
          > done in release 53-8 under # worker MPM
          >
          > [root@naslug apache2]$ diff httpd.conf_org_2.0.53-7
          > httpd.conf_org_2.0.53-8
          > 134,137c134,137
          > < StartServers 2
          > < MaxClients 150
          > < MinSpareThreads 25
          > < MaxSpareThreads 75
          > ---
          > > StartServers 1
          > > MaxClients 25
          > > MinSpareThreads 2
          > > MaxSpareThreads 5

          Yes, those are the changes to httpd.conf I was referring to. Their
          effect is to limit the number of processes and threads that apache will
          start.

          > Parameters are working well for me. Output of top is a
          > little bit confusing with 25 processes consuming each
          > 50% of (shared) memory.

          Good!

          This is actually 1 process with 25 threads. In linux, threads appear as
          extra processes. So you have 1 apache process using 50% of memory. If
          you want to reduce the memory usage, you could disable some apache
          and/or php modules.

          --
          Josh Parsons
          Philosophy Department
          1238 Social Sciences and Humanities Bldg.
          University of California
          Davis, CA 95616-8673
          USA

        • Spoettel Otmar
          Message 4 of 6 , May 2, 2005
            "Josh Parsons" <jbparsons@...>
            wrote
            > They are the options mentioned by Franz Ks, in an earlier email. If
            > you
            > can't figure this out yourself from reading httpd.conf, then you
            > should
            > probably just (I)nstall the new copy of httpd.conf when you install
            > the
            > apache ipk.
            Thanx Josh,

            i have changed the option how KS has wrote. Now, the apache use less
            memory as before.

            Otte