Re: [nslu2-linux] May have made a brick...

    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2005
      On 5/2/05, David Carter <dypered@...> wrote:
      > I just installed the latest beta firmware and everything seemed fine;
      > it booted and I could access my drives. I did not "unsling" my hard
      > drive as I hoped there would be enough room in the slug to store an
      > FTP server (that's really all I want). I then tried to install an
      > FTPD package, but it complained that there wasn't enough room.

      This means you've filled the JFFS2 partition, and caused your slug to
      be unable to complete the linux boot process. Note that the RedBoot
      bootloader is extremely unlikely to have been effected by this, so you
      do not have a "brick" (which is a term usually reserved for a slug
      which cannot be recovered by purely software means, and which requires
      JTAG to recover). Note that we have never seen an instance of a real
      brick from installing or using any released Linksys, Unslung or
      OpenSlug firmware not from installing any Unslung or OpenSlug
      packages). I only know of two real bricks - one ([g2]'s) was a result
      of soldering abuse :-), and the other (jacques's) was a result of
      experimental partition table abuse (caused by my programming error in
      a very early prototype of slugimage). Both were recovered.

      You need to follow the procedures on the wiki to recover from a bad
      flash. They will work, and you will get your slug back in working
      order. You will just need patience if you haven't previously been
      able to easily and repeatably get telnet RedBoot access.

      -- Rod
    • Gerald L. Clark
      Message 2 of 4 , May 2, 2005
        David Carter wrote:

        > Good news! Yes, the fix you recommended worked! I really doubted I
        > could get Redboot access, but, yup, you were right. Reinstalled the
        > firmware, unslung the drive, I can get http access to the slug and the
        > drive. But now.....when I telnet in, it denies me access.
        >
        > I've tried root/uNSLUng, admin/admin, and the personal adminstrator
        > account I created much earlier.
        >
        > I'm doing this when I've booted up normally and have gone to the
        > Management/telnet.cgi page and activated Telnet.
        >
        > I've researched the wikki and can't figger out what I'm doing wrong.
        >
        > Thanks again-
        >
        > Dave

        Again, you need to follow the instructions in the wiki.
        Telnet in with NO disk attached.

        --
        nslu-linux - glc
      • David Carter
        Message 3 of 4 , May 3, 2005
          Yeah, after I posted this most recent message I then did a search thru
          the Wikki, found the instructions, and then came back here and thought
          I deleted the message. Anyway, everything worked, I'm back in
          business. Now, if I can just get an FTPD package installed and
          configured. Guess I'm gonna have to reach for my "Linux for Dummies"
          book.... Thanks again mucho!

          dave s.

          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald L. Clark"