May have made a brick...

  • David Carter
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2005
      I just installed the latest beta firmware and everything seemed fine;
      it booted and I could access my drives. I did not "unsling" my hard
      drive as I hoped there would be enough room in the slug to store an
      FTP server (that's really all I want). I then tried to install an
      FTPD package, but it complained that there wasn't enough room. So, I
      followed the instructions to unsling a drive. It says to boot up,
      telnet in, THEN while the slug is on, to connect the drive to be
      unslung. I know that contradicts the Linksys manual which says the
      slug is not hotswappable, but I trusted the instructions on the
      unslung web site. Now, although the slug boots normally, I hear the
      beep, lights are on solid, and I get the appropriate lights when I
      plug in the ethernet and disks, I cannot ping it on any ip address. I
      did a factory reset (held in the reset button until I heard the beep),
      but cannot ping it or connect to it in any way. Any thoughts?

      Thanks in advance-

      Dave S.
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1, 2005
        On 5/2/05, David Carter <dypered@...> wrote:
        > I just installed the latest beta firmware and everything seemed fine;
        > it booted and I could access my drives. I did not "unsling" my hard
        > drive as I hoped there would be enough room in the slug to store an
        > FTP server (that's really all I want). I then tried to install an
        > FTPD package, but it complained that there wasn't enough room.

        This means you've filled the JFFS2 partition, and caused your slug to
        be unable to complete the linux boot process. Note that the RedBoot
        bootloader is extremely unlikely to have been effected by this, so you
        do not have a "brick" (which is a term usually reserved for a slug
        which cannot be recovered by purely software means, and which requires
        JTAG to recover). Note that we have never seen an instance of a real
        brick from installing or using any released Linksys, Unslung or
        OpenSlug firmware not from installing any Unslung or OpenSlug
        packages). I only know of two real bricks - one ([g2]'s) was a result
        of soldering abuse :-), and the other (jacques's) was a result of
        experimental partition table abuse (caused by my programming error in
        a very early prototype of slugimage). Both were recovered.

        You need to follow the procedures on the wiki to recover from a bad
        flash. They will work, and you will get your slug back in working
        order. You will just need patience if you haven't previously been
        able to easily and repeatably get telnet RedBoot access.

        -- Rod
      • Gerald L. Clark
        Message 3 of 4 , May 2, 2005
          David Carter wrote:

          > Good news! Yes, the fix you recommended worked! I really doubted I
          > could get Redboot access, but, yup, you were right. Reinstalled the
          > firmware, unslung the drive, I can get http access to the slug and the
          > drive. But now.....when I telnet in, it denies me access.
          >
          > I've tried root/uNSLUng, admin/admin, and the personal adminstrator
          > account I created much earlier.
          >
          > I'm doing this when I've booted up normally and have gone to the
          > Management/telnet.cgi page and activated Telnet.
          >
          > I've researched the wikki and can't figger out what I'm doing wrong.
          >
          > Thanks again-
          >
          > Dave

          Again, you need to follow the instructions in the wiki.
          Telnet in with NO disk attached.

          --
          nslu-linux - glc
        • David Carter
          Message 4 of 4 , May 3, 2005
            Yeah, after I posted this most recent message I then did a search thru
            the Wikki, found the instructions, and then came back here and thought
            I deleted the message. Anyway, everything worked, I'm back in
            business. Now, if I can just get an FTPD package installed and
            configured. Guess I'm gonna have to reach for my "Linux for Dummies"
            book.... Thanks again mucho!

            dave s.

            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald L. Clark"