Re: SquirrelMail & cyrus-imapd; Anyone with success?

  • pTweety
    Message 1 of 11 , May 1, 2005
      audiobetterwork wrote:

      > running the following:
      > ./cyradm -user mail localhost
      > Password:

      > and inputting the password still yields the following error:

      > cyradm: cannot authenticate to server with as mail

      Can you give me the output of the following commands:

      ls -la /opt/etc/sasl2
      cat /opt/lib/sasl2/smtpd.conf
      cat /opt/etc/imapd.conf

      For me that is:

      # ls -la /opt/etc/sasl2
      -rw-r----- 1 mail root 12288 Apr 26 19:38 /opt/etc/sasl2

      # cat /opt/lib/sasl2/smtpd.conf
      pwcheck_method: saslauthd
      mech_list: plain login

      # cat /opt/etc/imapd.conf
      configdirectory: /opt/var/lib/imap
      partition-default: /opt/var/spool/imap
      sievedir: /opt/var/lib/imap/sieve
      admins: mail root
      allowanonymouslogin: no
      autocreatequota: 50000
      reject8bit: no
      quotawarn: 90
      timeout: 30
      poptimeout: 10
      dracinterval: 0
      drachost: localhost
      sasl_pwcheck_method: saslauthd
      lmtp_overquota_perm_failure: no
      mboxlist_db: flat
      seenstate_db: flat

      --
      MFG Matthias

      Since we're all here, we must not be all there.
    • audiobetterwork
      Message 2 of 11 , May 1, 2005
        "Can you give me the output of the following commands:"

        Sure...

        # ls -la /opt/etc/sasl2
        -rw-r----- 1 root root 12288 Apr 30 17:12 /opt/etc/sasl2

        There's problem number one I suppose.... your's says mail root... mine
        says "root root".

        # cat /opt/lib/sasl2/smtpd.conf
        cat: /opt/lib/sasl2/smtpd.conf: No such file or directory

        Problem number two... I don't appear to have that file

        # cat /opt/etc/imapd.conf
        configdirectory: /opt/var/lib/imap
        partition-default: /opt/var/spool/imap
        sievedir: /opt/var/lib/imap/sieve
        admins: mail root
        allowanonymouslogin: no
        autocreatequota: 50000
        reject8bit: no
        quotawarn: 90
        timeout: 30
        poptimeout: 10
        dracinterval: 0
        drachost: localhost
        sasl_pwcheck_method: saslauthd
        lmtp_overquota_perm_failure: no
        mboxlist_db: flat
        seenstate_db: flat

        The output of the last command seems OK to me...

        Thanks again,

        Cory
      • pTweety
        Message 3 of 11 , May 1, 2005
          audiobetterwork wrote:

          > # ls -la /opt/etc/sasl2
          > -rw-r----- 1 root root 12288 Apr 30 17:12 /opt/etc/sasl2

          > There's problem number one I suppose.... your's says mail root... mine
          > says "root root".

          Well, then you should:
          # chown mail.root /opt/etc/sasl2

          Do NOT:
          # chmod 0644 /opt/etc/sasl2

          Since clear passwords are written to the files that would be a
          security issue. I'll go and have a look whether that is a bug in one
          of the cyrus-* packages.

          > # cat /opt/lib/sasl2/smtpd.conf
          > cat: /opt/lib/sasl2/smtpd.conf: No such file or directory

          > Problem number two... I don't appear to have that file

          Ok, this files comes with postfix. So it should not be a problem with
          your current setup. (suppose you have no postfix installed)

          > # cat /opt/etc/imapd.conf

          > The output of the last command seems OK to me...

          Yes, this seems to be correct.

          --
          MFG Matthias

          Klein bottle for rent...
        • audiobetterwork
          Message 4 of 11 , May 1, 2005
            > Well, then you should:
            > # chown mail.root /opt/etc/sasl2

            OK... I did that.

            And now the command:

            # ls -la /opt/etc/sasl2

            yields:

            -rw-r----- 1 mail root 12288 May 1 20:50 /opt/etc/sasl2

            So it looks like were good there.

            Then I ran the following,

            # ./cyradm -u mail localhost

            I input the my password at the prompt... and then I get this error:

            Cannot find termcap: TERM not set at
            /opt/lib/perl5/5.8.6/Term/ReadLine.pm line
            338

            But then it continues to execute and gives me the cyradm prompt.

            localhost>

            So at this point I entered the command:

            cm user.mail

            And it created the mailbox for user mail.

            If I enter the command:

            lm

            it yields the following output:

            INBOX (\HasNoChildren)

            So I would guess that is correct.

            At this point, I have only one remaining issue (if that error above
            isn't important nor related)... I still can't log into SquirrelMail
            using the mail account that was created. Even though I set the
            password, and created the mailbox.

            "If this is working fine you only have to configure squirrelmail in
            the right way. But there I cannot help you yet (have to read some docs
            first)."

            I realize that you may be unable to assist me much further, because of
            this. If you can't right away, thats OK, you have already been very
            generous with your time and knowledge.

            Again, thanks so much for your help

            Cory
            Message 5 of 11 , May 1, 2005
              On 5/2/05, audiobetterwork <trogscave@...> wrote:
              > I realize that you may be unable to assist me much further, because of
              > this. If you can't right away, thats OK, you have already been very
              > generous with your time and knowledge.
              >
              > Again, thanks so much for your help

              Cory,

              Could you please create a SquirrelMail HowTo wiki page based on the
              information you have gained and the experience you now have ?

              -- Rod
            • audiobetterwork
              Message 6 of 11 , May 1, 2005
                > Cory,
                >
                > Could you please create a SquirrelMail HowTo wiki page based on the
                > information you have gained and the experience you now have ?
                >
                > -- Rod

                Yes Rod, I would be glad to. If no one else does, I was planning on
                doing just that as soon as I got it fully up and running. But I still
                can't log into SquirrelMail. Regardless, I suppose I could create a
                wiki page that could be a "workinprogress"... and maybe as time goes
                by, I could fully get it working myself as well as help others.

                The only other issue is that I am a student in college, and this is
                finals week. So I don't have as much time as I would like. But I
                assure you that I will eventually add a Wiki page as time and progress
                on this project permits.

                Thanks,

                Cory
                Message 7 of 11 , May 1, 2005
                  On 5/2/05, audiobetterwork <trogscave@...> wrote:
                  > Yes Rod, I would be glad to. If no one else does, I was planning on
                  > doing just that as soon as I got it fully up and running. But I still
                  > can't log into SquirrelMail. Regardless, I suppose I could create a
                  > wiki page that could be a "workinprogress"... and maybe as time goes
                  > by, I could fully get it working myself as well as help others.

                  Please do so - you might find that someone else adds the critical
                  piece of information to your work-in-progress page, which solves the
                  problem for you.

                  That's the power of the wiki. Add pages early and often, and others
                  will finish them off for you :-)

                  -- Rod
                • Private Tweety
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 2, 2005
                    "audiobetterwork" <trogscave@m...> wrote:
                    > # ./cyradm -u mail localhost
                    >
                    > I input the my password at the prompt... and then I get this error:
                    >
                    > Cannot find termcap: TERM not set at
                    > /opt/lib/perl5/5.8.6/Term/ReadLine.pm line
                    > 338

                    You can try to `ipkg install readline`. If this removes the warning
                    for you I'll make it a SUGGESTS= option in cyrus-imapd.mk.

                    > But then it continues to execute and gives me the cyradm prompt.
                    >
                    > localhost>
                    >
                    > So at this point I entered the command:
                    >
                    > cm user.mail
                    >
                    > And it created the mailbox for user mail.
                    >
                    > If I enter the command:
                    >
                    > lm
                    >
                    > it yields the following output:
                    >
                    > INBOX (\HasNoChildren)
                    >
                    > So I would guess that is correct.

                    Well, I don't know whether it's a good idea to create a mailbox for
                    this administrative account. I would recommend to create a user with
                    the webinterface and some mailboxes in cyradm for this user as well.

                    > At this point, I have only one remaining issue (if that error above
                    > isn't important nor related)... I still can't log into SquirrelMail
                    > using the mail account that was created. Even though I set the
                    > password, and created the mailbox.

                    Sh*t. Do you see something in the webserver logs?

                    > If you can't right away, thats OK, you have already been very
                    > generous with your time and knowledge.

                    Since you are the first known user of cyrus-imapd on the slug
                    (besides me :-) ) I have high interest that it is working for you.

                    MFG Matthias