apache worker MPM

  • Josh Parsons
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 30, 2005
      As of version 2.0.53-9, unslung's apache web server uses the "worker"
      threaded multiprocessing module. This means that apache should now no
      longer be so memory hungry as it was.

      You can upgrade to the new apache with "ipkg update; ipkg install
      apache". If you were already running apache, you should either
      (I)nstall the distributed httpd.conf, or edit your existing one to tune
      the worker MPM parameters.

      I'm interested in hearing feedback about the functioning of our new-look
      web server. If you have any, please post to the list.

      --
      Josh Parsons
      Philosophy Department

    • Spoettel Otmar
      Message 2 of 6 , May 2, 2005
        "Josh Parsons" <jbparsons@...>
        wrote...
        > You can upgrade to the new apache with "ipkg update; ipkg install
        > apache". If you were already running apache, you should either
        > (I)nstall the distributed httpd.conf, or edit your existing one to
        > tune
        > the worker MPM parameters.
        Hello Josh,

        thank you for your great work!
        Please, can you tell me (us), what options i must edit/add/remove in
        the httpd.conf to tune my ready apache installation to the worker mode?

        Thank you!

        Otmar
      • Franz Ks
        Message 3 of 6 , May 2, 2005

          the only changes concerning the mpm in httpd.conf was
          done in release 53-8 under # worker MPM

          [root@naslug apache2]$ diff httpd.conf_org_2.0.53-7
          httpd.conf_org_2.0.53-8
          134,137c134,137
          < StartServers 2
          < MaxClients 150
          < MinSpareThreads 25
          < MaxSpareThreads 75
          ---
          > StartServers 1
          > MaxClients 25
          > MinSpareThreads 2
          > MaxSpareThreads 5

          Parameters are working well for me. Output of top is a
          little bit confusing with 25 processes consuming each
          50% of (shared) memory.

          Franz

          --- Spoettel Otmar <otmar.spoettel@...> wrote:
          > "Josh Parsons" <jbparsons@...>
          > wrote...
          > > You can upgrade to the new apache with "ipkg
          > update; ipkg install
          > > apache". If you were already running apache, you
          > should either
          > > (I)nstall the distributed httpd.conf, or edit your
          > existing one to
          > > tune
          > > the worker MPM parameters.
          > Hello Josh,
          >
          > thank you for your great work!
          > Please, can you tell me (us), what options i must
          > edit/add/remove in
          > the httpd.conf to tune my ready apache installation
          > to the worker mode?
          >
          > Thank you!
          >
          > Otmar

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Josh Parsons
          Message 4 of 6 , May 2, 2005
            On Mon, 2005-05-02 at 09:51 +0200, Spoettel Otmar wrote:

            > Please, can you tell me (us), what options i must edit/add/remove in
            > the httpd.conf to tune my ready apache installation to the worker mode?

            They are the options mentioned by Franz Ks, in an earlier email. If you
            can't figure this out yourself from reading httpd.conf, then you should
            probably just (I)nstall the new copy of httpd.conf when you install the
            apache ipk.

            Message 5 of 6 , May 2, 2005
              > the only changes concerning the mpm in httpd.conf was
              > done in release 53-8 under # worker MPM
              >
              > [root@naslug apache2]$ diff httpd.conf_org_2.0.53-7
              > httpd.conf_org_2.0.53-8
              > 134,137c134,137
              > < StartServers 2
              > < MaxClients 150
              > < MinSpareThreads 25
              > < MaxSpareThreads 75
              > ---
              > > StartServers 1
              > > MaxClients 25
              > > MinSpareThreads 2
              > > MaxSpareThreads 5

              Yes, those are the changes to httpd.conf I was referring to. Their
              effect is to limit the number of processes and threads that apache will
              start.

              > Parameters are working well for me. Output of top is a
              > little bit confusing with 25 processes consuming each
              > 50% of (shared) memory.

              Good!

              This is actually 1 process with 25 threads. In linux, threads appear as
              extra processes. So you have 1 apache process using 50% of memory. If
              you want to reduce the memory usage, you could disable some apache
              and/or php modules.

              Message 6 of 6 , May 2, 2005
                "Josh Parsons" <jbparsons@...>
                wrote
                > They are the options mentioned by Franz Ks, in an earlier email. If
                > you
                > can't figure this out yourself from reading httpd.conf, then you
                > should
                > probably just (I)nstall the new copy of httpd.conf when you install
                > the
                > apache ipk.
                Thanx Josh,

                i have changed the option how KS has wrote. Now, the apache use less
                memory as before.

                Otte