SquirrelMail & cyrus-imapd; Anyone with success?

  • audiobetterwork
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 30, 2005
      Hello,

      Just wondering if anyone was successful with getting SquirrelMail
      fully up and running with cyrus-imapd (or any imap server for that
      matter).

      OK... so we all know that SquirrelMail requires PHP and an IMAP
      server. Installing PHP and an IMAP server is the simple part.
      Configuring the IMAP server seems to be another story.

      As you may be able to see here:
      http://webraptor.serveftp.net:8000/squirrelmail-1.5.0/src/login.php

      SquirrelMail is installed. That was the easy part. Now, I am having
      one heck of a time trying to add users to the imap server, creating
      mailboxes, let alone being able to login.

      The sites below, were very helpful during my quest to try and get this
      thing fully up and running:

      www.ibiblio.org/oswg/oswg-nightly/oswg/en_US.ISO_8
      859-1/articles/exchange-replacement-howto/exchange
      -replacement-howto/x284.htm
      www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-HOWTO/Cyrus-IMAP.html#s1

      For those wondering the cyradm utility is most likely in your /opt/bin
      directory.

      I can't remember everything I have tried, nor the order, but I will
      try to explain the basis.

      I was able to change the root password for the SLUG, by running
      /usr/bin/passwd

      At some point, during the course of trying to set this up, I figured
      that this might be worth a shot.

      This allowed me to actually try and login into SquirrelMail, but what
      would be a blank page except for following PHP errors (because I have
      display_errors set to on in php.ini):

      Notice: Undefined variable: pn in
      /share/hdd/data/opt/share/apache2/htdocs/squirrelm
      ail-1.5.0/functions/imap_general.php
      on line 819

      Notice: Undefined offset: 1 in
      /share/hdd/data/opt/share/apache2/htdocs/squirrelm
      ail-1.5.0/functions/imap_general.php
      on line 825

      Notice: Undefined offset: 0 in
      /share/hdd/data/opt/share/apache2/htdocs/squirrelm
      ail-1.5.0/functions/imap_general.php
      on line 829

      Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by
      (output started at
      /share/hdd/data/opt/share/apache2/htdocs/squirrelm
      ail-1.5.0/functions/imap_general.php:819)
      in
      /share/hdd/data/opt/share/apache2/htdocs/squirrelm
      ail-1.5.0/src/redirect.php
      on line 96

      Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by
      (output started at
      /share/hdd/data/opt/share/apache2/htdocs/squirrelm
      ail-1.5.0/functions/imap_general.php:819)
      in
      /share/hdd/data/opt/share/apache2/htdocs/squirrelm
      ail-1.5.0/src/redirect.php
      on line 163

      I tried doing some of this:

      ./cyradmn localhost
      Password:
      cyradm: cannot authenticate to server with as root

      /cyradm -u mail localhost
      Password:
      cyradm: cannot authenticate to server with as mail

      And creating users like this (in /opt/sbin)

      ./saslpasswd2 root
      Password:
      Again (for verification):

      Then I can list users like this:

      ./sasldblistusers2
      cyrus@WebRaptor: userPassword
      root@WebRaptor: userPassword
      cory@WebRaptor: userPassword

      FYI: The imap server is running:
      /opt/etc/init.d/S59cyrus-imapd

      And so is the saslauthd authentication service:
      /opt/etc/init.d/S52saslauthd

      (as well as apache of course)

      Let me be the first to admit I am no expert at this type of thing... I
      have never set up an IMAP server on any platform before, let alone the
      NSLU2.

      Regardless, I am hoping that I am making this much more difficult than
      it really is. And maybe someone out there has gotten this up and
      running.

      Thanks,

      Cory
    • pTweety
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 30, 2005
        audiobetterwork wrote:

        > Just wondering if anyone was successful with getting SquirrelMail
        > fully up and running with cyrus-imapd (or any imap server for that
        > matter). [...]

        > I tried doing some of this: [...]

        > /cyradm -u mail localhost
        > Password:
        > cyradm: cannot authenticate to server with as mail

        > [...] Then I can list users like this:

        > ./sasldblistusers2
        > cyrus@WebRaptor: userPassword
        > root@WebRaptor: userPassword
        > cory@WebRaptor: userPassword

        The password for user mail seems to be missing. Try this procedere and
        find out whether IMAP in general is working for you:

        - create your email users with the web-frontend of your nslu2, e.g. tux
        - set passwd for user mail
        saslpasswd2 mail
        - create the mailboxes for your users:
        cyradm --user mail localhost
        > cm user.tux
        > cm user.tux.Outbox
        > cm user.tux.Sent
        > cm user.tux.Trash
        > lm
        > quit
        - check the mailbox with your email-client (IMAP recommended!)

        If this is working fine you only have to configure squirrelmail in the
        right way. But there I cannot help you yet (have to read some docs
        first).

        --
        MFG Matthias

        If you can survive death, you can probably survive anything.
      • audiobetterwork
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 30, 2005
          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Matthias Appel (pTweety)
          <lists@g...> wrote:
          > audiobetterwork wrote:
          >
          > > Just wondering if anyone was successful with getting SquirrelMail
          > > fully up and running with cyrus-imapd (or any imap server for that
          > > matter). [...]
          >
          > > I tried doing some of this: [...]
          >
          > > /cyradm -u mail localhost
          > > Password:
          > > cyradm: cannot authenticate to server with as mail
          >
          > > [...] Then I can list users like this:
          >
          > > ./sasldblistusers2
          > > cyrus@WebRaptor: userPassword
          > > root@WebRaptor: userPassword
          > > cory@WebRaptor: userPassword
          >
          > The password for user mail seems to be missing. Try this procedere
          and
          > find out whether IMAP in general is working for you:
          >
          > - create your email users with the web-frontend of your nslu2, e.g.
          tux
          > - set passwd for user mail
          > saslpasswd2 mail
          > - create the mailboxes for your users:
          > cyradm --user mail localhost
          > > cm user.tux
          > > cm user.tux.Outbox
          > > cm user.tux.Sent
          > > cm user.tux.Trash
          > > lm
          > > quit
          > - check the mailbox with your email-client (IMAP recommended!)

          Thanks for your reply.

          I created a user called mail, and set its password. Like so:
          ./saslpasswd2 mail

          I then verified that the user was created:
          ./sasldblistusers2
          cyrus@WebRaptor: userPassword
          root@WebRaptor: userPassword
          cory@WebRaptor: userPassword
          mail@WebRaptor: userPassword

          running the following:
          ./cyradm -user mail localhost
          Password:

          and inputting the password still yields the following error:

          cyradm: cannot authenticate to server with as mail

          So i'm not sure whats wrong...

          Thanks again,

          Cory
        • pTweety
          Message 4 of 11 , May 1, 2005
            audiobetterwork wrote:

            > running the following:
            > ./cyradm -user mail localhost
            > Password:

            > and inputting the password still yields the following error:

            > cyradm: cannot authenticate to server with as mail

            Can you give me the output of the following commands:

            ls -la /opt/etc/sasl2
            cat /opt/lib/sasl2/smtpd.conf
            cat /opt/etc/imapd.conf

            For me that is:

            # ls -la /opt/etc/sasl2
            -rw-r----- 1 mail root 12288 Apr 26 19:38 /opt/etc/sasl2

            # cat /opt/lib/sasl2/smtpd.conf
            pwcheck_method: saslauthd
            mech_list: plain login

            # cat /opt/etc/imapd.conf
            configdirectory: /opt/var/lib/imap
            partition-default: /opt/var/spool/imap
            sievedir: /opt/var/lib/imap/sieve
            admins: mail root
            allowanonymouslogin: no
            autocreatequota: 50000
            reject8bit: no
            quotawarn: 90
            timeout: 30
            poptimeout: 10
            dracinterval: 0
            drachost: localhost
            sasl_pwcheck_method: saslauthd
            lmtp_overquota_perm_failure: no
            mboxlist_db: flat
            seenstate_db: flat

            --
            MFG Matthias

            Since we're all here, we must not be all there.
          • audiobetterwork
            Message 5 of 11 , May 1, 2005
              "Can you give me the output of the following commands:"

              Sure...

              # ls -la /opt/etc/sasl2
              -rw-r----- 1 root root 12288 Apr 30 17:12 /opt/etc/sasl2

              There's problem number one I suppose.... your's says mail root... mine
              says "root root".

              # cat /opt/lib/sasl2/smtpd.conf
              cat: /opt/lib/sasl2/smtpd.conf: No such file or directory

              Problem number two... I don't appear to have that file

              # cat /opt/etc/imapd.conf
              configdirectory: /opt/var/lib/imap
              partition-default: /opt/var/spool/imap
              sievedir: /opt/var/lib/imap/sieve
              admins: mail root
              allowanonymouslogin: no
              autocreatequota: 50000
              reject8bit: no
              quotawarn: 90
              timeout: 30
              poptimeout: 10
              dracinterval: 0
              drachost: localhost
              sasl_pwcheck_method: saslauthd
              lmtp_overquota_perm_failure: no
              mboxlist_db: flat
              seenstate_db: flat

              The output of the last command seems OK to me...

              Thanks again,

              Cory
            • pTweety
              Message 6 of 11 , May 1, 2005
                audiobetterwork wrote:

                > # ls -la /opt/etc/sasl2
                > -rw-r----- 1 root root 12288 Apr 30 17:12 /opt/etc/sasl2

                > There's problem number one I suppose.... your's says mail root... mine
                > says "root root".

                Well, then you should:
                # chown mail.root /opt/etc/sasl2

                Do NOT:
                # chmod 0644 /opt/etc/sasl2

                Since clear passwords are written to the files that would be a
                security issue. I'll go and have a look whether that is a bug in one
                of the cyrus-* packages.

                > # cat /opt/lib/sasl2/smtpd.conf
                > cat: /opt/lib/sasl2/smtpd.conf: No such file or directory

                > Problem number two... I don't appear to have that file

                Ok, this files comes with postfix. So it should not be a problem with
                your current setup. (suppose you have no postfix installed)

                > # cat /opt/etc/imapd.conf

                > The output of the last command seems OK to me...

                Yes, this seems to be correct.

                --
                MFG Matthias

                Klein bottle for rent...
              • audiobetterwork
                Message 7 of 11 , May 1, 2005
                  > Well, then you should:
                  > # chown mail.root /opt/etc/sasl2

                  OK... I did that.

                  And now the command:

                  # ls -la /opt/etc/sasl2

                  yields:

                  -rw-r----- 1 mail root 12288 May 1 20:50 /opt/etc/sasl2

                  So it looks like were good there.

                  Then I ran the following,

                  # ./cyradm -u mail localhost

                  I input the my password at the prompt... and then I get this error:

                  Cannot find termcap: TERM not set at
                  /opt/lib/perl5/5.8.6/Term/ReadLine.pm line
                  338

                  But then it continues to execute and gives me the cyradm prompt.

                  localhost>

                  So at this point I entered the command:

                  cm user.mail

                  And it created the mailbox for user mail.

                  If I enter the command:

                  lm

                  it yields the following output:

                  INBOX (\HasNoChildren)

                  So I would guess that is correct.

                  At this point, I have only one remaining issue (if that error above
                  isn't important nor related)... I still can't log into SquirrelMail
                  using the mail account that was created. Even though I set the
                  password, and created the mailbox.

                  "If this is working fine you only have to configure squirrelmail in
                  the right way. But there I cannot help you yet (have to read some docs
                  first)."

                  I realize that you may be unable to assist me much further, because of
                  this. If you can't right away, thats OK, you have already been very
                  generous with your time and knowledge.

                  Again, thanks so much for your help

                  Cory
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 1, 2005
                    On 5/2/05, audiobetterwork <trogscave@...> wrote:
                    > I realize that you may be unable to assist me much further, because of
                    > this. If you can't right away, thats OK, you have already been very
                    > generous with your time and knowledge.
                    >
                    > Again, thanks so much for your help

                    Cory,

                    Could you please create a SquirrelMail HowTo wiki page based on the
                    information you have gained and the experience you now have ?

                    -- Rod
                  • audiobetterwork
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 1, 2005
                      > Cory,
                      >
                      > Could you please create a SquirrelMail HowTo wiki page based on the
                      > information you have gained and the experience you now have ?
                      >
                      > -- Rod

                      Yes Rod, I would be glad to. If no one else does, I was planning on
                      doing just that as soon as I got it fully up and running. But I still
                      can't log into SquirrelMail. Regardless, I suppose I could create a
                      wiki page that could be a "workinprogress"... and maybe as time goes
                      by, I could fully get it working myself as well as help others.

                      The only other issue is that I am a student in college, and this is
                      finals week. So I don't have as much time as I would like. But I
                      assure you that I will eventually add a Wiki page as time and progress
                      on this project permits.

                      Thanks,

                      Cory
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 1, 2005
                        On 5/2/05, audiobetterwork <trogscave@...> wrote:
                        > Yes Rod, I would be glad to. If no one else does, I was planning on
                        > doing just that as soon as I got it fully up and running. But I still
                        > can't log into SquirrelMail. Regardless, I suppose I could create a
                        > wiki page that could be a "workinprogress"... and maybe as time goes
                        > by, I could fully get it working myself as well as help others.

                        Please do so - you might find that someone else adds the critical
                        piece of information to your work-in-progress page, which solves the
                        problem for you.

                        That's the power of the wiki. Add pages early and often, and others
                        will finish them off for you :-)

                        -- Rod
                      • Private Tweety
                        Message 11 of 11 , May 2, 2005
                          "audiobetterwork" <trogscave@m...> wrote:
                          > # ./cyradm -u mail localhost
                          >
                          > I input the my password at the prompt... and then I get this error:
                          >
                          > Cannot find termcap: TERM not set at
                          > /opt/lib/perl5/5.8.6/Term/ReadLine.pm line
                          > 338

                          You can try to `ipkg install readline`. If this removes the warning
                          for you I'll make it a SUGGESTS= option in cyrus-imapd.mk.

                          > But then it continues to execute and gives me the cyradm prompt.
                          >
                          > localhost>
                          >
                          > So at this point I entered the command:
                          >
                          > cm user.mail
                          >
                          > And it created the mailbox for user mail.
                          >
                          > If I enter the command:
                          >
                          > lm
                          >
                          > it yields the following output:
                          >
                          > INBOX (\HasNoChildren)
                          >
                          > So I would guess that is correct.

                          Well, I don't know whether it's a good idea to create a mailbox for
                          this administrative account. I would recommend to create a user with
                          the webinterface and some mailboxes in cyradm for this user as well.

                          > At this point, I have only one remaining issue (if that error above
                          > isn't important nor related)... I still can't log into SquirrelMail
                          > using the mail account that was created. Even though I set the
                          > password, and created the mailbox.

                          Sh*t. Do you see something in the webserver logs?

                          > If you can't right away, thats OK, you have already been very
                          > generous with your time and knowledge.

                          Since you are the first known user of cyrus-imapd on the slug
                          (besides me :-) ) I have high interest that it is working for you.

                          MFG Matthias