OpenSlug fork talk -- FreeSlug the Intel CSR less full binary release

  • Tommy B
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 28, 2005
      Dear OpenSlugger's, Unslunggers, Lurkers and others,

      Hugs to the community out. Ok --- I fully admit it!

      Tommy B. / [g2] is a BIG CHICKEN.

      OpenSlug has been ready to go for a longtime, it's been months now. The
      last major issue was the Intel CSR / kernel module licensing issue. I'm
      a developer not a lawyer. I have no desire to be a lawyer. Intel is a
      big organization and the code involved has evolved from version 1.0 to
      1.4 over several years and is still evolving. I've got neither the time
      nor interest in sorting out all the legal issues involved in the
      OpenSlug binary release. As a husband and father it's more important to
      me not to make a mistake with Intel or get involved with their legal
      department. Since there is no crystal clear license agreement from
      Intel, I'm forking OpenSlug for a new release.

      Call me a chicken, call me a loser, demote me, whatever.

      The OpenSlug binary release is dead, Long live FreeSlug.

      FreeSlug is simply a Intel CSR/ IXP4xx kernel module free OpenSlug.
      I'll create a snap shot of a known working tree less all the Intel
      CSR/kernel modules/etc.... support. I'm going to build USB right into
      the kernel and try for USB-serial console and support multiple
      USB-to-Ethernet network adapters. I've been running with the Linksys
      USB200M fine for a while. There are other adapters I'd like to try.
      FreeSlug will boot up with the usb-to-ethernet adapter as eth0. I
      currently do this all the time with CSR stuff disabled while testing.
      I'm sure it'll work fine with it gone.

      Disadvantages of FreeSlug

      1) Lose the on board ethernet port
      2) extra hw cost for usb 2.0 ethernet adapter and testing

      Advantages of FreeSlug

      1) Taint Free kernel, the ARM and lkml provide better support untainted
      kernels.
      2) Freely distributable un-encumbered binaries
      3) Can build usb/usb adapter driver into the kernel and NFS mount from
      kernel
      4) Availability can be in days
      5) The community can clearly focus on the 2.6.X slug without worries of IP

      I'm registering a machine ID for FreeSlug with the ARM Linux Machine
      Registry.

      APEX isn't ready for replacing Redboot quite yet. There's a USB irq
      handler registration issue to be sorted out. Then USB devices should
      work with APEX. At this point I'll be replacing Redboot.

      I know that Rod will be disappointed that the OpenSlug binary that we've
      worked so hard isn't getting released.

      I'm very interested in what people think about this. I'll be adding a
      poll on the Yahoo group.

      In closing, it's been a real honor to "work" with some many talented,
      energetic, and wonderful people. I'm looking forward continuing those
      efforts and really moving forward with development.

      Best Regards,

      [g2]
    • janne
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 29, 2005
        This is why I love open source and passionate problem solving :)
        Go FreeSlug!

        /Janne