NSLU2 Newbies needs Internet Write capability

  • David Carter
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 27, 2005
      Hey everybody-

      I just bought an NSLU2 off Ebay. I don't need any fancy features
      except for the ability to upload files from the Internet. I'm computer
      knowledgeable but Linux stupid. I gather that I can upload unslung v3
      via the normal Linksys web interface. Other than that I'm kinda
      clueless. Will I then be able to enable an FTP server on the box? Are
      there any really basic step-by-step instructions? Where do I go from here?

      thanks much-

      Dave
    • Gerald L. Clark
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 27, 2005
        David Carter wrote:

        > Hey everybody-
        >
        > I just bought an NSLU2 off Ebay. I don't need any fancy features
        > except for the ability to upload files from the Internet. I'm computer
        > knowledgeable but Linux stupid. I gather that I can upload unslung v3
        > via the normal Linksys web interface. Other than that I'm kinda
        > clueless. Will I then be able to enable an FTP server on the box? Are
        > there any really basic step-by-step instructions? Where do I go from here?
        >
        > thanks much-
        >
        > Dave

        Read the wiki.
      • Dale VanZile
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 27, 2005
          David Carter wrote:

          >Hey everybody-
          >I just bought an NSLU2 off Ebay. I don't need any fancy features
          >except for the ability to upload files from the Internet. I'm computer
          >knowledgeable but Linux stupid. I gather that I can upload unslung v3
          >via the normal Linksys web interface. Other than that I'm kinda
          >clueless.

          David--
          Start here: http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Main/HomePage

          There's a good bit of n00B info here:
          http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/NewUsersGuide
          and here: http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/HomePage

          You'll probably want to go with OpenSSH to get secure shell and secure
          FTP going: http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/UseOpenSSHForRemoteAccess

          You'll probably also want to fix your clock so that it keeps time
          better: http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/SetUpAnNtpServer

          You might also want to host a web page on it:
          http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/UseTheThttpdWebserver

          I've done all of these, and am hosting a little, two-page site on mine
          in addition to running a SFTP server.... Of course, I'm standing on the
          shoulders of giants, here--these folks here do really great things! :^)

          BTW, if you want to, somewhere there are instructions on installing
          apache and PHP (the very basics, type ipkg install php-apache at a
          command prompt--beyond that you'll need to find the how-to...), but I
          can't remember where. I'm waiting to hear a few more good install
          reports about the thttpd-php package, and I'm probably going to go that
          route, since I've had good luck with thttpd.

          HTH!

          C ya,
          Dutch

        • Robert Hammond
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 28, 2005
            In message <d4oigh+ef6g@...>, David Carter <dypered@...>
            writes

            >I just bought an NSLU2 off Ebay. I don't need any fancy features
            >except for the ability to upload files from the Internet. I'm computer
            >knowledgeable but Linux stupid. I gather that I can upload unslung v3
            >via the normal Linksys web interface. Other than that I'm kinda
            >clueless. Will I then be able to enable an FTP server on the box? Are
            >there any really basic step-by-step instructions? Where do I go from here?

            You need to first follow the instructions included with the unslung
            firmware to unsling your NSLU2 to the attached storage media.

            There is just one important question for FTPD server access.
            Is your NSLU2 behind a NAT router, if so then the built in FTPD server
            is not the best solution because it cannot be configured for PASV mode
            data transfer as needed behind a NAT router. Suggest that you either
            load up the unslung package VsFTPD or ProFTPD. I personally use
            ProFTPD but many use VsFTPD, I think that there is little to choose
            between them.

            Also note that there are many hack attempts on the FTP port 21, my
            router log shows many every hour. For home use it is best to
            re-configure your server away from port 21. I personally use port 26,
            this port never seems to get scanned and would recommend every home user
            to do this. Luckily my Linksys router has a forwarding function to
            forward incoming port 26 to internal port 21 located in the UPNP
            forwarding section. The port can also be changed within the FTPD
            server software if required.

            --
            Robert Hammond
            PGP:0x154144DA
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 28, 2005
              Great advice, Robert, thank you.

              dave

              --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Robert Hammond <rob.hammond@n...>
              wrote:
              > In message <d4oigh+ef6g@e...>, David Carter <dypered@h...>
              > writes
              > >
              > >I just bought an NSLU2 off Ebay. I don't need any fancy features
              > >except for the ability to upload files from the Internet. I'm computer
              > >knowledgeable but Linux stupid. I gather that I can upload unslung v3
              > >via the normal Linksys web interface. Other than that I'm kinda
              > >clueless. Will I then be able to enable an FTP server on the box? Are
              > >there any really basic step-by-step instructions? Where do I go
              from here?

              > You need to first follow the instructions included with the unslung
              > firmware to unsling your NSLU2 to the attached storage media.
              >
              > There is just one important question for FTPD server access.
              > Is your NSLU2 behind a NAT router, if so then the built in FTPD server
              > is not the best solution because it cannot be configured for PASV mode
              > data transfer as needed behind a NAT router. Suggest that you either
              > load up the unslung package VsFTPD or ProFTPD. I personally use
              > ProFTPD but many use VsFTPD, I think that there is little to choose
              > between them.
              >
              > Also note that there are many hack attempts on the FTP port 21, my
              > router log shows many every hour. For home use it is best to
              > re-configure your server away from port 21. I personally use port 26,
              > this port never seems to get scanned and would recommend every home
              user
              > to do this. Luckily my Linksys router has a forwarding function to
              > forward incoming port 26 to internal port 21 located in the UPNP
              > forwarding section. The port can also be changed within the FTPD
              > server software if required.
              >
              > --
              > Robert Hammond
              > PGP:0x154144DA
            • David Carter
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 28, 2005
                Great info! Yes, I'll start there, follow the bread crumbs, and
                hopefully end up in Nirvana!

                thanks much-

                dave

                --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Dale VanZile <vlad.zeanile@c...>
                wrote:
                > David Carter wrote:
                >
                > >Hey everybody-
                > >I just bought an NSLU2 off Ebay. I don't need any fancy features
                > >except for the ability to upload files from the Internet. I'm computer
                > >knowledgeable but Linux stupid. I gather that I can upload unslung v3
                > >via the normal Linksys web interface. Other than that I'm kinda
                > >clueless.
                > >

                > David--
                > Start here: http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Main/HomePage
                >
                > There's a good bit of n00B info here:
                > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/NewUsersGuide
                > and here: http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/HomePage
                >
                > You'll probably want to go with OpenSSH to get secure shell and secure
                > FTP going:
                http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/UseOpenSSHForRemoteAccess

                > You'll probably also want to fix your clock so that it keeps time
                > better: http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/SetUpAnNtpServer
                >
                > You might also want to host a web page on it:
                > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/UseTheThttpdWebserver
                >
                > I've done all of these, and am hosting a little, two-page site on mine
                > in addition to running a SFTP server.... Of course, I'm standing on
                the
                > shoulders of giants, here--these folks here do really great things! :^)
                >
                > BTW, if you want to, somewhere there are instructions on installing
                > apache and PHP (the very basics, type ipkg install php-apache at a
                > command prompt--beyond that you'll need to find the how-to...), but I
                > can't remember where. I'm waiting to hear a few more good install
                > reports about the thttpd-php package, and I'm probably going to go that
                > route, since I've had good luck with thttpd.
                >
                > HTH!
                >
                > C ya,
                > Dutch
                >

                > --
              • Dale VanZile
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 28, 2005
                  David Carter wrote:

                  >Great info! Yes, I'll start there, follow the bread crumbs, and
                  >hopefully end up in Nirvana!
                  >
                  >thanks much-

                  dave--
                  Good luck on your journey! I've followed the instructions I pointed you at, and screwed things up once or twice before I found all the little details that I'd missed or goofed up.... :^) Don't hesitate to ask questions if you read stuff and you don't get the gist of it. That's what makes the whole open-source thing a Good Thing, and it's what will allow it survive and thrive. The whole ballgame is in remembering what it's like to be a n00B and "giving back" when you're able. I've been doing just that with vacuum-tube electronics (mostly guitar amp circuitry) for years, after getting to the point where I had a bit of know-how. I have a nice old gentleman named Arnold, who used to work at Jackson Electronics in Trenton back in the late '80s, to thank for the encouragement and help (and the occasional small bagful of tube sockets and such that he knew they'd *never* sell) when I was a t00B n00B--a sharp contrast to the jeers of his younger co-workers when I came to the counter looking for tubes and related "obsolete" parts. I figure "giving back" is the way these things keep working, as I'd have given up if there weren't anyone experienced around that could answer my questions and pass on that torch--now it's my turn over on ampage.org, and when work's slow at my job, I pass along Arnold's gift and post answers to n00B questions over there. Oh well, enough OT babble out of me.... :^)

                  C ya,
                  Dutch

                  PS: Power to the People! Subvert the dominant paradigm--use Linux! Heck, use a pencil and paper if there's no other way! Tell M$ they can go to /dev/null.... }:^)>