php / apache problem

  • Frank
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 27, 2005
      When i start apache on my V2.3R25-uNSLUng-standard-3.18-beta
      unslug box i get this error. Whats wrong? I have installed
      all the latest packages.

      [Wed Apr 27 17:09:50 2005] [notice] Digest: generating secret for
      digest authentication ...
      [Wed Apr 27 17:09:50 2005] [notice] Digest: done
      [Wed Apr 27 17:09:50 2005] [notice] LDAP: Built with OpenLDAP LDAP SDK
      [Wed Apr 27 17:09:50 2005] [notice] LDAP: SSL support unavailable
      PHP Warning: PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library
      '/opt/lib/php/extensions/dom.so' - /opt/lib/
      php/extensions/dom.so: undefined symbol: php_libxml_ctx_warning in
      Unknown on line 0
      PHP Warning: PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library
      '/opt/lib/php/extensions/xsl.so' - /opt/lib/
      php/extensions/xsl.so: undefined symbol: php_libxml_error_handler in
      Unknown on line 0
      [Wed Apr 27 17:09:52 2005] [notice] Apache/2.0.53 (Unix) PHP/5.0.3
      configured -- resuming normal opera
      tions
    • Josh Parsons
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 27, 2005
        On Wed, 2005-04-27 at 16:26 +0000, Frank wrote:

        > When i start apache on my V2.3R25-uNSLUng-standard-3.18-beta
        > unslug box i get this error. Whats wrong? I have installed
        > all the latest packages.

        > PHP Warning: PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library
        > '/opt/lib/php/extensions/dom.so' - /opt/lib/
        > php/extensions/dom.so: undefined symbol: php_libxml_ctx_warning in
        > Unknown on line 0
        > PHP Warning: PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library
        > '/opt/lib/php/extensions/xsl.so' - /opt/lib/
        > php/extensions/xsl.so: undefined symbol: php_libxml_error_handler in
        > Unknown on line 0

        This happens because these php extensions, xsl and dom, require libxml
        support to be built-in to the php apache module. It's nothing to worry
        about unless you need either of those extensions; it will also be fixed
        very soon when the next version of the php-apache ipk is uploaded.

        --
        Josh Parsons
        Philosophy Department

      • Frank
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 27, 2005
          > This happens because these php extensions, xsl and dom, require libxml
          > support to be built-in to the php apache module. It's nothing to worry
          > about unless you need either of those extensions; it will also be fixed
          > very soon when the next version of the php-apache ipk is uploaded.

          Hi there,

          well, actually i don't really know if i need them or nor. :-)
          right today a migrated my typo3 installation with php and mysql
          to the nlsu2 . well not really usable, swapping a lot, needed a ram
          upgrade, but working. just images are not loaded and i don't
          really know why. should be not a permission problem.

          Nice day,

          Frank
        • Josh Parsons
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 27, 2005
            On Wed, 2005-04-27 at 19:05 +0000, Frank wrote:

            > well, actually i don't really know if i need them or nor. :-)
            > right today a migrated my typo3 installation with php and mysql
            > to the nlsu2 . well not really usable, swapping a lot, needed a ram
            > upgrade, but working. just images are not loaded and i don't
            > really know why. should be not a permission problem.

            Make sure you have php-gd loaded - that contains php's graphics support.
            (It is packaged seperately from php because of its large number of
            dependencies).

            Apache's heavy memory usage is a known problem. You might like to try
            using php-thttpd instead of apache. If you need to use apache, you would
            be well advised to edit /opt/etc/apache2/httpd.conf and disable modules
            that you don't need.

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 27, 2005
              --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Josh Parsons <jbparsons@u...>
              > Make sure you have php-gd loaded - that contains php's graphics support.
              > (It is packaged seperately from php because of its large number of
              > dependencies).
              >
              > Apache's heavy memory usage is a known problem. You might like to try
              > using php-thttpd instead of apache. If you need to use apache, you would
              > be well advised to edit /opt/etc/apache2/httpd.conf and disable modules
              > that you don't need.

              Yeah, thanks.

              I tried that already. Maybe i can find more modules.
              But each httpd process is about 10-13 MB. And then quickly you got
              three or four of them and with 32 MB main memory this
              is to much. I'm curios if i can upgrade the ram. that would be realy
              great.

              thanks for your tips, also in using the php-thttpd. but i probably
              need this apache thing.

              nix box, the nslu2.

              frank
            • Josh Parsons
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 27, 2005
                On Wed, 2005-04-27 at 20:27 +0000, Frank wrote:

                > I tried that already. Maybe i can find more modules.
                > But each httpd process is about 10-13 MB. And then quickly you got
                > three or four of them and with 32 MB main memory this
                > is to much. I'm curios if i can upgrade the ram. that would be realy
                > great.
                >
                > thanks for your tips, also in using the php-thttpd. but i probably
                > need this apache thing.

                I am looking at building apache with the worker MPM, which should solve
                this problem. Unfortunately, that would require building php in a way
                that is incompatible with thttpd.

                The memory issue is bad, but might not be as bad as you think it is.
                Remember that the resident memory footprint of an httpd process as read
                off from the output of top includes memory shared with other processes.

                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 28, 2005
                  --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Josh Parsons <jbparsons@u...>

                  > I am looking at building apache with the worker MPM, which should solve
                  > this problem. Unfortunately, that would require building php in a way
                  > that is incompatible with thttpd.
                  >
                  > The memory issue is bad, but might not be as bad as you think it is.
                  > Remember that the resident memory footprint of an httpd process as read
                  > off from the output of top includes memory shared with other processes.

                  Yes, i remebered as soon i posted my last message. But the processes
                  are also bigger. They are about 20-25 MB each.
                  The unslung ist about 40 MB in swap space. Don't understand
                  me wrong. I think it's great to have this working.
                  But i think it will need more ram. Ut would be great i think to
                  have about 128 MB.
                  I have a friend of mine who maybe can do the soldering part. :-)
                  Im just looking for a better howto.

                  Frank