Re: Lost Telnet completely! Sensible questions, please help!

  • gruffnutz666
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 27, 2005
      I'm thinking about this before I do anything (else) stupid. (That's
      learning that is!!!)

      The error messages were the same with or without a disk attached (and
      rebooted as appropriate of course).

      I havn't created any 'extra' users.

      I could restore an old config but the last backup config I have was
      for r29. I'm worried that as it has no telnet enabled in r29 it may
      also have no root user.

      I don't believe the /share/hdd/conf/passwd is the problem though it
      may have been damaged as I have no telnet with no disk.

      The /usr/local/etc/passwd is in the flash so a 'reset
      config' might do it.

      The 'backup config' file apparently (according to wiki) contains...

      config/
      config/hdd/
      config/hdd/CGI_ds.conf
      config/hdd/passwd
      config/hdd/group
      config/hdd/smbpasswd
      config/hdd/.htpasswd
      config/hdd/smb.conf
      config/hdd/share.info
      config/hdd/usrgrp.info

      As most of these files are on the hdd I'm unsure if this would reset
      the user folder on the flash. What does the 'reset config' replace I
      wonder?

      I think reflashing is probably the way to go. I assume 3.18 will not
      mind flashing over itself (in maint mode). Any precautions I should
      take (drives disconnected of course)???

      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Kai Steinbach <kai.steinbach@g...>